Author Topic: Mandoline  (Read 7301 times)

Offline triciaflower

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
Mandoline
« on: June 11, 2013, 04:40:33 PM »
Do you have one?

Do you use it?

What brand do you like?

Thinking of getting one, since I have some gift card money left to spend at Williams Sonoma, Amazon, and Sur la Table. So the possibilities are endless!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
Re: Mandoline
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 04:44:26 PM »
I would like one but just haven't pulled the trigger. If you buy one, do NOT get lazy about using the guard!!!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 06:11:13 PM »
If you buy one, also get a butcher glove, seriously.  I am not buying any mandolin, because I am afraid of them.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 06:19:46 PM »
i sliced off the tip of my finger, took many years to regenerate. A friend just posted on FB that she got one and the first thing i type is do not lose your finger. She PMs me later and said she lost the tip of her finger before seeing my post  :'(

what about a vegetable spiraler?
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 08:51:51 PM »
They really are dangerous.  I use the slicer on my food processor after my husband lost the end of his thumb on our new mandolin  :D  I really want one of those vegetable spiralers though. 
Because PANTS

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 09:59:09 PM »
I have an OXO Mandoline and 10 finger tips. It comes with a little food holder thingy.  Use it. 

I really like it when I need to slice something evenly. 
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline triciaflower

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 12:20:47 AM »
See.. I worry that DH will be stubborn and NOT use the guard thingie. I like the idea of being able to slice things realllllly thin.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 07:28:34 AM »
See.. I worry that DH will be stubborn and NOT use the guard thingie. I like the idea of being able to slice things realllllly thin.

I have something like this, but by cuisinart.  It has a slicing disk, too.  No way would I risk DH's fingers.

http://www.amazon.com/02970-Professional-SaladShooter-Electric-Shredder/dp/B0000Z6JJG/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1371036688&sr=1-1&keywords=salad+shooter

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 07:33:22 AM »
I have a Leifheit mandoline that I got from Pampered Chef a loooooonnnng time ago (when they carried other brands of things, like Zyliss, etc.). It's not as sharp as it used to be, but it still works fine on things like cukes for salad, potatoes, etc.

I love it and hardly ever use the guide/food holder thingy. In fact, I don't even know where it is. I still have all my finger tips.
This space for rent.

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 10:35:29 AM »
I have a small cheap hand held and a larger nice one ... I love the kinds of salads you can make with them (that otherwise would take awesome knife skills and lots of patience).

BUT I rarely use them ... mostly because cleaning the bigger better one isn't that easy and because I forget about it!

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 01:22:17 PM »
I have these Kuhn Rikon ones.

I use them both quite a bit, I am admittedly lazy about the guard but I've never had a finger slicing incident.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 04:07:59 PM »
Love mandolin. I have this one: http://m.surlatable.com/product/PRO-1007822/Kobra-from-de-Buyer-Handheld-Mandoline
But I did not pay that sale price.  :fiery:
I use it pretty frequently. I need to get better about using the guard.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline triciaflower

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 01:00:15 AM »
So, in order to julienne, I'd need to buy one with multiple blades, Am I right? It seems like a lot of them just slice. I'd want to do both.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 06:51:58 AM »
yes
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 07:37:06 AM »
So, in order to julienne, I'd need to buy one with multiple blades, Am I right? It seems like a lot of them just slice. I'd want to do both.

I have a thing that looks like a vegetable peeler. But it julienne's. I've only used it for carrots and cucumbers but I know I can use it for other stuff.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2013, 07:42:56 AM »
I have a thing that looks like a vegetable peeler. But it julienne's. I've only used it for carrots and cucumbers but I know I can use it for other stuff.
i use that for jullienning (sp?) and then i have a vegetable spiraler for making veggie "pasta"

Offline triciaflower

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2013, 05:36:36 PM »
Maybe that's all I need.. is the vegetable peeler thing? I already have a food processor, that I think slices vegetables. I've never tried it. Just grated cheese with that extra blade.

I've been eying that spiral veggie noodle maker.  :heartbeat:

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2013, 05:53:03 PM »
Maybe that's all I need.. is the vegetable peeler thing? I already have a food processor, that I think slices vegetables. I've never tried it. Just grated cheese with that extra blade.

I've been eying that spiral veggie noodle maker.  :heartbeat:
Yes, it looks like a veggie peeler, it was pretty cheap at BB&B. It is sharp! and you can make one of my favorite recipes :D http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2010/11/easy-tahini-curried-carrot-salad-spicy.html

I have the vegetable spiraler, but i got it over the winter when zucchini was hard to find, so i am hoping to make more use of it now. I used potatoes in it for fries :D

+-SUPPORT US