Author Topic: Pakora and samosas?  (Read 10411 times)

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
Pakora and samosas?
« on: June 01, 2013, 04:36:31 PM »
Does anyone have a recipe for either of these? I like samosas ok, the potato filled or chicken ones are good. But I love pakoras. I googled a bit and it seems there are different kinds of pakoras. The only ones I had were some type of vegetable with lots of spices. I don't fry any foods, just because we don't eat it much. But I'll always make an exception for these!
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: Pakora and samosas?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 05:33:11 PM »
for pakoras, I take 3 parts chickpea flour + 1 part rice flour, mix in a bowl with a bit of salt, ground cumin & coriander, some ground hot chili... add water slowly until it turns into a smooth batter... but not thin

then you can either batter individual veg cut however you want and deep fry in peanut oil (or whatever you usually use for deep fry oil), or you can chop and mix veg with the the batter then spoon into the deep fry oil to make fritter-type pakoras

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 01:12:24 AM »
for pakoras, I take 3 parts chickpea flour + 1 part rice flour, mix in a bowl with a bit of salt, ground cumin & coriander, some ground hot chili... add water slowly until it turns into a smooth batter... but not thin

then you can either batter individual veg cut however you want and deep fry in peanut oil (or whatever you usually use for deep fry oil), or you can chop and mix veg with the the batter then spoon into the deep fry oil to make fritter-type pakoras

Fritter type! That's what I like. I couldn't remember the word "fritter". Thanks!

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 01:37:52 AM »
We threw samosas into the deep fryer on thanksgiving before the bird. Mmm.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 04:19:33 PM »
I have never made pakoras cause i don't fry things, but i will not hesitate to eat them out ;)

this was tasty and easy
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/indian-samosa-casserole/
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline triciaflower

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 10:35:13 AM »
i made samosas with my niece, who is from India. It was basically boiled  potatoes cubed then somewhat mashed, sauteed in onions, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, maybe even a touch of turmeric. i think there may have been jalapenos? i do not remember. but i bet they'd be good! roll out the dough into circles, fill , then fry. The dough was a simple flour, oil, salt concoction. 

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 07:40:11 AM »
Thanks everyone!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 09:51:37 PM »
i made samosas with my niece, who is from India. It was basically boiled  potatoes cubed then somewhat mashed, sauteed in onions, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, maybe even a touch of turmeric. i think there may have been jalapenos? i do not remember. but i bet they'd be good! roll out the dough into circles, fill , then fry. The dough was a simple flour, oil, salt concoction. 

sounds delicious!
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline gebuh

• The Runners
  • don't worry, I'm a doctor
    • cycle touring
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 11:20:25 AM »
Thanks everyone!
did you make it?
How'd it turn out?

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 04:09:25 PM »
did you make it?
How'd it turn out?

Not yet. Dang baby doesn't give me time to do anything. It's like she thinks I'm supposed to take care of her 24/7 or something.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 05:22:39 PM »
Make the samosa pie i posted, it is the lazy man's samosa :D
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline gebuh

• The Runners
    • cycle touring
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 07:56:37 PM »
Make the samosa pie i posted, it is the lazy man's samosa :D
i almost missed that!!!
I will definitely be trying that.
Hey did we discuss vegan whipped cream by any chance?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 08:31:47 PM »
i almost missed that!!!
I will definitely be trying that.
Hey did we discuss vegan whipped cream by any chance?
No. You can buy some which I believe is soy based or you can make it from full fat coconut milk, whipped, but google specifics.

Offline gebuh

• The Runners
    • cycle touring
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 09:50:54 PM »
No. You can buy some which I believe is soy based or you can make it from full fat coconut milk, whipped, but google specifics.
I found a recipe using coconut milk, I'll be trying it soon.
Anyway the samosa casserole is in the oven.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 01:05:48 AM »
Ooohhh. Let us know how it turns out. Also the whipped cream. I bought a can of coconut milk on a whim.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 06:37:31 AM »
I found a recipe using coconut milk, I'll be trying it soon.
Anyway the samosa casserole is in the oven.
yum! I may have to make it tomorrow.

Yeah i have seen that coconut milk frosting/whipped cream online a lot. I just have not gotten around to doing it yet.

Offline gebuh

• The Runners
    • cycle touring
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 10:48:08 AM »
The casserole wasn't bad - it needed some meat and the crust came out hard, even after I reduced the cooking time.
I will make it again.

ETA: I retract my lukewarm review, after it sat overnight the flavors came together, it was pretty darn good (I added some serranos, fresh ginger, extra cumin and fresh parsley though)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 12:25:46 PM by gebuh »

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 06:23:41 PM »
glad it was better! most of those things generally are better the next day. The reviews, if you read them, say to double the spices, or atleast increase them. I find that with a lot of recipes i make.

Offline gebuh

• The Runners
    • cycle touring
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 11:58:31 PM »
glad it was better! most of those things generally are better the next day. The reviews, if you read them, say to double the spices, or atleast increase them. I find that with a lot of recipes i make.
yeah I always do that, it's one of the reason I can never make the same dish the same way twice - I can't keep track of all that adjusting.

Offline gebuh

• The Runners
    • cycle touring
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2013, 07:34:07 PM »
ok, 18 thumbs up for the samosa casserole -  it was even better the day after the day after, my vegetarian sister gobbled up the rest of it.

+-SUPPORT US