Author Topic: Steamed eggs- an alternative to hard boiling  (Read 7457 times)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
Steamed eggs- an alternative to hard boiling
« on: May 31, 2013, 12:21:57 PM »
So, I saw this on alton brown forever ago and decided to give it a shot. One batch in, and I really like it compared to my previous fool-proof method. Much quicker, less stinky, and no giant pot of steaming water to deal with. I usually hard cook 12-18 at a time.

Eggs go in a steamer basket and then steam them for 12 minutes (Alton suggested 10 which was not QUITE enough in my case). Then shock in ice water. Done!

I have an instant hot water thingy so I can make hard-cooked eggs in less than 15 minutes, which is a big improvement.

Supposedly they are easier to peel and, indeed, this batch *was* very easy to peel. Whether that will be consistent remains to be seen.

Offline wherestheportojohn

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: Steamed eggs- an alternative to hard boiling
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 07:12:57 AM »
I've even steaming my "hard boiled" eggs for a few years.
Bottom level basket, set the steamer time for 15 min...no shocking in ice water.
Perfect eggs every time.

My steamer is some old thing from QVC...ancient...sorta kinda looks like this newer model:

On, Wisconsin

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 10:32:42 AM »
I am going to try this. 
Because PANTS

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 02:32:46 PM »
I got a breville steamer and set it for 24 minutes...  For some reason, I think my steamer is quite slow, but steamed eggs are great.

Offline gebuh

• The Runners
  • don't worry, I'm a doctor
    • cycle touring
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 12:16:23 AM »
do they taste any different?

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 12:25:45 AM »
Nope, they taste the same. AB says they taste creamier... to me they just taste like hard boiled eggs. I made my second batch tonight with eggs I bought today and they were also easy to peel. So, maybe there is something to this "easy peeling" thing.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 05:40:29 AM »
Nope, they taste the same. AB says they taste creamier... to me they just taste like hard boiled eggs. I made my second batch tonight with eggs I bought today and they were also easy to peel. So, maybe there is something to this "easy peeling" thing.

no, the fresher the egg, the more difficult it is to peel.  I usually buy a dozen of eggs and steam them a week later.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 07:26:01 AM »
I did a dozen in my bamboo steamer yesterday.  I think they might actually peel a little easier.  Otherwise the steamed eggs are identical to boiled ones.  I might keep doing them this way, though.  I've been known to forget about eggs boiling on the stove until the stink of burning eggs has filled the house.  Pee eww!  Cooking them in the basket, the eggs are 10 inches off the burner.  I don't think they would burn up if the pot boiled dry like they do when you are boiling them directly. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 09:30:49 AM »
I saw them done in the oven on pinterest.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 09:54:38 AM »
I saw them done in the oven on pinterest.

like the 300 minute egg

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 11:04:29 AM »
no, the fresher the egg, the more difficult it is to peel.  I usually buy a dozen of eggs and steam them a week later.

I know! That's what I'm saying... I bought fresh eggs and steamed them and they were easy to peel. Steaming them is supposed to make them easy to peel, and so far, so good on that front. But, I'm only 2 batches in.

The other thing I really like is that it's fast. I just put water in the pan from the instant hot thingy, put the burner on high, turn it down to med/high when it starts to steam (about 2 minutes later), set the timer for 12 mintues and walk away. Way faster!

The way I was doing it before (to very consistent results) was to put eggs in a pan of cold water, bring to a boil, turn off and set for 12 minutes, then ice bath. But, it takes a long time to heat the water, and sometimes I'd miss the magic moment.

Meri- I've seen the baked eggs thing too. I don't really get that. Preheating the oven and then baking them for 30+ minutes does not seem faster/easier to me. I've also heard they are much harder to peel that way, which is a total non-starter for me.

Offline gebuh

• The Runners
    • cycle touring
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 01:39:51 PM »
like the 300 minute egg
I'm definitely trying that, I wonder how it will work with deviled eggs?

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 04:29:31 PM »
300 minute? blech. i was thinking more like this: http://www.food.com/recipe/hard-cooked-eggs-in-the-oven-baked-eggs-61856
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 08:10:53 PM »
like the 300 minute egg?
My burnt eggs were Moroccan?  Awesome!

Offline gebuh

• The Runners
    • cycle touring
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 12:58:15 AM »
just ate a 5 hour egg, interesting, the flavor was a little different from boiled eggs, the whites(now brown) firmer.  I think it would make a really good deviled egg.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 06:04:05 AM »
just ate a 5 hour egg, interesting, the flavor was a little different from boiled eggs, the whites(now brown) firmer.  I think it would make a really good deviled egg.

this has been on my must-try-it list for a while now, but I keep forgetting to do it

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 10:18:40 AM »
this has been on my must-try-it list for a while now, but I keep forgetting to do it

I'm trying to figure out what else to do while the oven is on to not waste all that energy ... meringues? dehydrate apples?  I like firm egg whites and it's too interesting not to try.

Offline gebuh

• The Runners
    • cycle touring
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 09:16:20 PM »
I'm trying to figure out what else to do while the oven is on to not waste all that energy ... meringues? dehydrate apples?  I like firm egg whites and it's too interesting not to try.
oven baked tomatoes, same time and those things are hella delish

+-SUPPORT US