Author Topic: I made scones today  (Read 4064 times)

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
I made scones today
« on: May 24, 2013, 09:30:45 PM »
16 fat, buttery blackberry lemon scones.

My cow-orkers scarfed them down.

I'm not sure if I'd make them again. The batter was really wet and messy, and I really don't enjoy working with wet batters...maybe there's a secret to it? Flouring hands first or something? I also probably could have gotten away with more flour.

It would have also helped if I had actually zested two lemons instead of zesting and juicing one.

Maybe I need to give them another shot.

Offline all-smiles

• The Runners
Re: I made scones today
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 12:49:16 AM »
Recipe please; the few that I've tried were not nearly buttery or soft enough. But yes, it should be a very wet shaggy dough from what I understand
Sufficient unto the day is one baby. As long as you are in your right mind don't you ever pray for twins. Twins amount to a permanent riot; and there ain't any real difference between triplets and a insurrection.
- Mark Twain

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 06:09:32 PM »
Ah, these were very soft!

For 8 (I made two batches to avoid letting the butter warm up while I was working with it)

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, frozen
1/2 cup sour cream, cold
1 egg
Zest from one lemon
6 oz fresh blackberries

Prep the butter by cutting into little cubes and placing in the freezer
Combine the flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and put it in the freezer while doing any other prep
Combine sour cream, egg, and lemon zest and place in freezer while working with the butter and flour

Oven 400 degrees

Work the butter into the flour with my fingers until I get a coarse meal (this takes time - I could use a food processor if I had one)

Add the (by this time) very cold wet ingredients and stir very gently with a fork until moistened and sort of holding together. Turn out onto a floured work surface. Smoosh it with the bottom of your palms just a couple of times to push the butter into layers, then shape into a 7-inch disk. Cut into 8 wedges and sprinkle with remaining sugar

Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

Bake at 400 degrees. My recipe said 14 -16 but that did not seem like enough time. I think it was at least 20 before I thought they were done.

Offline triciaflower

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 10:22:53 PM »
I like that word. Shaggy.

Shaggy dough.

Offline badger

• NTTAWWT
I made scones today
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 03:53:29 PM »
I've made a lot of scones, and my understanding is that the dough should not be wet. It will be moist, and you hands will get a bit caked, but the dough should hold it's shape.

I use frozen butter, but I've never stressed about keeping all the other ingredients cold. I use a sturdy pastry cutter to incorporate the butter.
After all, one rarely boils a penis before insertion. - nnej

I routinely smash mirrors while walking underneath ladders just to fuck with the cosmos. - ZiggyStardust

Offline CheryG

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 04:06:58 PM »
Flour will react differently day by day even if you bother to weigh it out so it's best to withhold a little liquid so you can be certain that the dough will not be too runny. Add the rest if you need it. Adding flour afterwards isn't as good because it throws off ratios and dulls flavor.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 04:36:14 PM »
I've made a lot of scones, and my understanding is that the dough should not be wet. It will be moist, and you hands will get a bit caked, but the dough should hold it's shape.

Agreed.

+-SUPPORT US