Author Topic: Ground turkey recipes  (Read 12001 times)

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
Ground turkey recipes
« on: May 01, 2013, 11:15:49 PM »
Around here, Costco has had a good price on the 93% lean ground turkey.  I used one package tonight and have three more in the freezer, so would love to hear what you use it for.

Tonight's dinner was awesome!  I made these Asian turkey meatballs with rice and an Asian slaw.  I've had really good luck with stuff from SkinnyTaste.

Meatballs:  http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/01/asian-turkey-meatballs-with-lime-sesame.html#more
Slaw:  http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Asian-Flavored-Coleslaw-with-Rice-Vinegar-and-Ginger-106818

Other things I do are make chili with tomatoes and beans, or make this turkey meatloaf, which is delish:  http://www.marthastewart.com/314676/turkey-meatloaf-with-fontina-and-mushroo

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
Re: Ground turkey recipes
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 07:21:40 AM »
I love ground turkey, but I get the 99% fat free.

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 07:22:24 AM »
turkey burgers, of course! 

ground turkey + egg + bread crumbs + finely chopped onion + minced fresh sage + salt & pepper; top burger with cranberry chutney

ground turkey + egg + quick rolled oats + worchesteshire + lots of fresh ground black pepper + finely chopped shallot

turkey and black bean tacos
stuffed eggplant and/or zucchini and/or peppers and/or onions  (stuffing would include the inside of whichever veg you are using, bread crumb or cubes or oats or other grain like bulgar, possibly some chopped nuts and/or dried fruit)
turkey chili (made with smoked peppers like chipotle or morita)
turkey-proscuitto-mushroom ravioli

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 07:49:48 AM »
I make stuffed peppers with ground turkey and brown rice - I don't really use a recipe though! I'll have to try to remember how I did it. I used lots of other veggies, and tomato paste, and a little bit of cheese.
This space for rent.

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 10:17:54 AM »
ground turkey + egg + quick rolled oats + worchesteshire + lots of fresh ground black pepper + finely chopped shallot

I never thought to use oats for binder!!  We do a lot of ground turkey but having gone gluten free I've had trouble with the meatball, mini paddy recipes.  Awesome idea.

I haven't made this yet but want to: http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2013/04/general-tsos-meatballs-low-carb-gluten-free.html (though might be a lot like your Asian meatballs)

In summer I do a bit batch of red sauce (lots of sauteed onion, carrot, and celery with fresh or tinned tomato, some tomato paste, lots of basil, salt and/or anchovies and/or fish sauce) and add a package of ground turkey to make it more meal like (serve over spaghetti squash).

Have also used it to make Thai lettuce wraps: http://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/thai-turkey-lettuce-wraps-recipe/1/

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 10:34:49 AM »
This is really good.  I just make it on the stove though.

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2011/10/crockpot-recipe-for-sweet-and-spicy.html

I like to make larb with ground turkey as well especially in summer.  So refreshing. 
Because PANTS

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 10:35:35 AM »
I never thought to use oats for binder!!  We do a lot of ground turkey but having gone gluten free I've had trouble with the meatball, mini paddy recipes.  Awesome idea.

That's something I do because it reminds me of childhood; my mother always used oats for burgers and meatloaf.  Sometimes I coarsely grind large oats instead of using quick oats (more fiber in the large oats). 

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 11:42:51 AM »
Meatloaf!

Offline Clementine

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 12:42:56 PM »

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 01:10:05 PM »
These turkey mini meatloaves are good: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/turkey_mini_meatloaves.html

Love those!  I always add some kind of seasoning as well, creole, Greek, etc.
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 01:43:46 PM »
A very good gluten free binder is gluten free matzo meal.  If you don't still see gluten free matzo meal on the shelves, you can make your own with gluten free matzo and your food processor. 
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

LilyLily

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 09:19:53 PM »
Barefoot COntessa Turkey Meatloaf - Its AWESOME

Ingredients

3 cups chopped yellow onions (2 large onions)
2 tablespoons good olive oil
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (1/2 teaspoon dried)
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
3/4 cup chicken stock
1 1/2 teaspoons tomato paste
5 pounds ground turkey breast
1 1/2 cups plain dry bread crumbs
3 extra-large eggs, beaten
3/4 cup ketchup

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

In a medium saute pan, over medium-low heat, cook the onions, olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme until translucent, but not browned, approximately 15 minutes. Add the Worcestershire sauce, chicken stock, and tomato paste and mix well. Allow to cool to room temperature.

Combine the ground turkey, bread crumbs, eggs, and onion mixture in a large bowl. Mix well and shape into a rectangular loaf on an ungreased sheet pan. Spread the ketchup evenly on top. Bake for 1 1/2 hours until the internal temperature is 160 degrees F. and the meatloaf is cooked through. (A pan of hot water in the oven under the meatloaf will keep the top from cracking.) Serve hot, at room temperature, or cold in a sandwich.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/turkey-meatloaf-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 11:03:34 PM »
5 pounds of turkey!?   That sounds like one big-ass meatloaf.   :o

:D

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 01:39:27 PM »
A very good gluten free binder is gluten free matzo meal.  If you don't still see gluten free matzo meal on the shelves, you can make your own with gluten free matzo and your food processor. 

Thanks!!

Offline cindyleigh

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 09:34:57 PM »
Barefoot COntessa Turkey Meatloaf - Its AWESOME

Ingredients

3 cups chopped yellow onions (2 large onions)
2 tablespoons good olive oil
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (1/2 teaspoon dried)
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
3/4 cup chicken stock
1 1/2 teaspoons tomato paste
5 pounds ground turkey breast
1 1/2 cups plain dry bread crumbs
3 extra-large eggs, beaten
3/4 cup ketchup

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

In a medium saute pan, over medium-low heat, cook the onions, olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme until translucent, but not browned, approximately 15 minutes. Add the Worcestershire sauce, chicken stock, and tomato paste and mix well. Allow to cool to room temperature.

Combine the ground turkey, bread crumbs, eggs, and onion mixture in a large bowl. Mix well and shape into a rectangular loaf on an ungreased sheet pan. Spread the ketchup evenly on top. Bake for 1 1/2 hours until the internal temperature is 160 degrees F. and the meatloaf is cooked through. (A pan of hot water in the oven under the meatloaf will keep the top from cracking.) Serve hot, at room temperature, or cold in a sandwich.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/turkey-meatloaf-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback

I will try this.  I bet it freezes well.  I can freeze lunch size slices.

Offline wherestheportojohn

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 06:51:51 AM »
Clem,
Last week I made a very similar type of ground turkey 'muffins'...yum!
On, Wisconsin

Offline Clementine

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 11:13:06 PM »
Clem,
Last week I made a very similar type of ground turkey 'muffins'...yum!

Nice! I like the fact they cook faster than a big, solid meatloaf. And, as cindyleigh pointed out, they freeze and reheat well.

Offline triciaflower

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek

Offline floridagal

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2013, 11:28:50 PM »
Gah.  We eat ground turkey at least 2x/week.   :'(
If I've learned nothing else, it's that people are crazy.
--RioG

+-SUPPORT US