Author Topic: science of junk food  (Read 8187 times)

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
Re: science of junk food
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 04:01:50 PM »
Interesting that you have the magazine section from next Sunday already. I will try to read the print version. My attention span for pages and pages online is low. (Hence why multi page threads rarely are read by me unless they contain pictures of boots)
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 04:11:13 PM »
Wow!
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 11:09:41 PM »
I saved that off to read later,  thanks...

LilyLily

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 12:59:13 AM »
Very interesting.  Thanks for posting this.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 06:55:52 AM »
It was interesting that they discussed Lunchables, they are the most horrible food, imo. Blech. My neighbor eats one every day for lunch and it has KitKat bars in it!  :panic: I shudder when I see a mom at the market with a cart full of them.  :'(
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

LilyLily

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 07:12:41 AM »
It was interesting that they discussed Lunchables, they are the most horrible food, imo. Blech. My neighbor eats one every day for lunch and it has KitKat bars in it!  :panic: I shudder when I see a mom at the market with a cart full of them.  :'(

I'm not a fan of those either.  My DD likes to take them on field trips and I will buy one for that purpose only.  After reading the article, I won't be buying any more though.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 07:50:27 AM »
I'm not a fan of those either.  My DD likes to take them on field trips and I will buy one for that purpose only.  After reading the article, I won't be buying any more though.
yeah the convenience is huge with them, but ick. Atleast your DD does not eat them daily  :o my neighbor's kid eats the nachos one, which i had to look up when she told me to see what was in it.  :nono: Now, there are so many bento boxes on the market, even ziplock sells one, that it is so easy to recreated the lunchables experience without the ick part.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 08:32:44 AM »
Wow, very interesting. As a consumer having seeing some of those products, like Lunchables, come to market, it is really crazy to think how much study goes into these things. The redemption of the junk food marketing techniques used on baby carrots at the end is kind of cool. It's really worth a read.
This space for rent.

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 09:04:52 AM »
yeah the convenience is huge with them, but ick. Atleast your DD does not eat them daily  :o my neighbor's kid eats the nachos one, which i had to look up when she told me to see what was in it.  :nono: Now, there are so many bento boxes on the market, even ziplock sells one, that it is so easy to recreated the lunchables experience without the ick part.

Yes, but remember kids want to fit in.  Having a homemade lunchable wouldn't be the same thing.  Now I agree that the food is crap and limiting them to only once in a while would be best.  I have no idea how someone would even want to eat those everyday (in my opinion ever, but I get why kids would like it.)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 09:32:30 AM »
Yes, but remember kids want to fit in.  Having a homemade lunchable wouldn't be the same thing.  Now I agree that the food is crap and limiting them to only once in a while would be best.  I have no idea how someone would even want to eat those everyday (in my opinion ever, but I get why kids would like it.)
I totally get the kid appeal to them, especially with the candy in them like the one my neighbor eats. My kid is used to eating different than everyone else, so I doubt it would be an issue in our house, but yes, kids do always strive to fit in.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 10:10:29 AM »
I totally get the kid appeal to them, especially with the candy in them like the one my neighbor eats. My kid is used to eating different than everyone else, so I doubt it would be an issue in our house, but yes, kids do always strive to fit in.

We buy our share of junk and processed food, trust me, so I'm certainly not a model of great behavior but I try where possible - but lunchables? Seriously?  How can you look at that and not believe it is utter crap?

My kids want the yogurt with the crushed up candy bars in them too, but that doesn't mean I buy them.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 10:14:45 AM »
I have pinned this to read later.. I do have a book, I can't remember the name.. that someone here recommended that talked about how they actually make all that fast food to addict you.. the l;ayering of the salt, sugar and fat.. so that you have a physical reaction just walking by in a food court and have to eat it. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 01:36:14 PM »
I have pinned this to read later.. I do have a book, I can't remember the name.. that someone here recommended that talked about how they actually make all that fast food to addict you.. the l;ayering of the salt, sugar and fat.. so that you have a physical reaction just walking by in a food court and have to eat it.
It is mentioned a lot in either Super Size Me or the book he wrote about the whole experience and the industry.

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 06:31:26 PM »
The End of Overeating by Dr. David Kessler.    Fascinating book, and very helpful.
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 09:21:22 AM »
The End of Overeating by Dr. David Kessler.    Fascinating book, and very helpful.

Yes!  I read that book based on your recommendation.. It was the book I was referring to in the other thread, about junk food.

Oh doh.. this is the thread about junk food!!!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 09:40:11 AM by Mom of Scooby »

Offline Shadow38

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2013, 07:49:15 PM »
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing it.

Offline MiniDriver

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 01:38:22 PM »

Yes, an excellent book. 
#minidriverisagenius

Shut up mini. Just because google changed it, doesn't mean in elementary school, we got it wrong.

She's an awful, awful human being.

I tend to trust Mini on these issues
Mini is so smart!

Offline triciaflower

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 03:29:42 PM »
I was just floored at the millions of dollars that goes into research. I look at our small business and our "research" consists of DH, me and a few employees trying drinks and saying "yep.. that's good. Let's put it on the menu!"

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 03:42:25 PM »
Thank you for sharing this witchy. I read it over the course of several evenings. Fascinating.

+-SUPPORT US