Author Topic: Have we talked about CrossFit?  (Read 52822 times)

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
Have we talked about CrossFit?
« on: December 10, 2012, 08:02:23 AM »
We have friends who are really into it, and mr. cgraz started doing it this fall - he likes it a lot.

I'm getting a lot of encouragement to check it out, and right now I feel like my workout time & budget are both pretty full with yoga and running, plus swimming at the Y (ok, so at this moment that part is not happening - but I generally start back up with that in Jan/Feb to get more into tri training mode), so I'm not doing it any time soon. But I won't say never - I am intrigued, although I'm not one to go whole hog into one thing, I might want to give it a try at some point.

Anyone here belong to a CrossFit gym? Tried any of the workouts?

Is this a gimmick or flash in the pan fad? Or legit conditioning for overall fitness?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 08:08:28 AM by cgraz »
This space for rent.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Re: Have we talked about CrossFit?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 11:33:29 AM »
I've been curious and there's a CrossFit gym near me (I recently discovered) but I hear/read so much about big injuries and I'm prone to overuse injuries.  Will be interested to read more responses.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 07:00:13 AM »
Hm, I guess no takers...

From what I hear, form is really important, and finding a good reputable gym that teaches proper form is something to look for. From what I've seen with mr. cgraz so far, it's not so much overuse injuries as it is doing too much, too soon, or rushing and pushing too hard. It seems like the workouts have a lot of variety from day to day, which I think is one reason he likes it.

Aside from the fitness itself, I have to say one huge thing about CrossFit seems to be the camaraderie and the accountability of going to the classes. I didn't realize at first that you don't just go to the gym and work out - it's always a group training class at regular scheduled times.
This space for rent.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 07:49:46 AM »
I've done a bit of it.  The crossfit gym scene is great for extra motivation, but the routines don't tend to require a lot of fancy equipment so you can generally work out at home.  You don't have to go into it whole hog.  Just try the workout of the day every so often and see what you think.  The workouts can be pretty intense, so depending on your current level of strength and fitness, you may want to start with scaled down versions.  Lighter weights, fewer reps, shorter periods, etc.  Oh, and the Olympic lifts used by crossfitters are a little different.  Get some help with that or watch the videos to get your form down.  Have fun!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 07:08:14 PM »
I like the idea of c-fit but I have just seen too many people with pretty serious injuries to risk it. Mostly what I've seen is less over-use type injuries and more sudden stuff like torn muscles and the like.

Offline monster2

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 07:12:25 PM »
As I've said before I loved CrossFit I found it really fun competitive and motivating. my only problem was the expense most gyms charge up words of 100 dollars a month and since I already have a regular gym membership that was way too much but if you can find a Groupon coupon it might be worth it to try it out for a month that's how I got into it. I realize that you can do it from home on your own but that's sort of defeats the point of competing with those around you.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 07:15:15 PM »
Yeah, it is pretty pricey and to me, if you want to do anything else (ie, I also swim) then it's hard to justify that separate membership. I know the gym that mr. cgraz goes to here has run stuff in Groupon, etc. too. And they offer a free trial class so you can check it out before joining.
This space for rent.

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
  • Non-Repentant Slowtwitcher
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 10:41:19 PM »
I've got an ex-girlfriend who moved from Colorado back to Jersey to set up a Crossfit studio in Westmont

http://crossfitcetro.com/

One of my best buds is a P90X dude, and I'd like to see the difference between the two; do a couple sessions [comped, perhaps] get schooled a little bit maybe?

Could be a little complicated, though

Did I mention the ex-girlfriend thing?

Yeah ... awkward
'We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be' ― Kurt Vonnegut

Offline Shadow38

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 10:14:11 AM »
I'd like to try it but there isn't a cross fit gym within 50 miles or so that I know of.

Offline MikoftheWat

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 07:05:49 AM »
I love it, I just do the mainsite WODs at the base gym.  No fancy crossfit gym for me (and there's one a mile from my house, one of these days I'll check it out)  There are some that are pure body weight exercises too, and all of them are easily scaled to your abilities.  Intensity, not weight or repetition is the key.
Neglected girls shouldn't worry, it's what god made Sailors for.

They call them Aviators in the Navy.  They say they're better than pilots.
-Tom Wolfe

Offline BobM59

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 12:19:51 PM »
I have a few FB friends who do this and are completely, totally insufferable.  Every freaking day is an update on how many burpees or modified pullups or front squats or heavy lunges they did.  The hardcore Paleo diet is also not my jam.

Offline Sir Real

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 01:34:29 PM »

I see at least 37 different potential injuries in this picture.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 08:24:58 PM »
That's not how you do...whatever it is she's supposed to be doing.  It's not from CrossFit.

I think we talked about this in Yammering: CrossFit tends to encourage that kind of group "here's what I did today" thing.  There are a couple of apps that encourage it as well.  It's not unlike the daily mileage thread in Running, you just don't get to decide if it hits your FB feed or not like clicking into a thread.

The focus is on competition with yourself: you record how many reps or sets of something you do or how much you lift and then try to improve on it next time.  And some of the stuff we're able to do is pretty tough. 
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Ribs

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 01:36:18 AM »
That's not how you do...whatever it is she's supposed to be doing.  It's not from CrossFit.

I think we talked about this in Yammering: CrossFit tends to encourage that kind of group "here's what I did today" thing.  There are a couple of apps that encourage it as well.  It's not unlike the daily mileage thread in Running, you just don't get to decide if it hits your FB feed or not like clicking into a thread.

The focus is on competition with yourself: you record how many reps or sets of something you do or how much you lift and then try to improve on it next time.  And some of the stuff we're able to do is pretty tough. 

I can understand some of the insufferability of crossfitters. Just like in many realms (running included) there are over the toppers. Crossfit just seems to have more than it's fair share.
And if you can get beyond the competitive stuff and ignore most of those youtube videos, there's a LOT of good hard work going on there. The guy that started the gym I'm going to was an Olympic lifter and had just gotten RKC certified when crossfit took off in Santa Cruz and then all over. He ignored it at first. But he also has a Master's degree in Kinesiology. Smart guy. He and I talk movement and stuff and I like his philosophy on having very correct mechanics

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
'We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be' ― Kurt Vonnegut

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 09:17:53 PM »
he's a nucking fut

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 09:22:08 PM »
That KoolAid must be SuperTasty

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 10:15:29 PM »
They don't require you to drink it

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2013, 09:34:15 PM »
http://games.crossfit.com/video/pool-demo

Q:
Are cross-fitters not allowed to wear goggles? (But, apparently swim caps are encouraged.)
A: They are supposed to jam bottle-caps into their eyeballs and use their X-Ray vision, being the SuperHumans that they are

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 07:21:15 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/max-jacobsonfried/crossfit-debate_b_3715259.html

SPOILER ALERT: There's a twist in there, Diablita; I'm not picking on you this time

+-SUPPORT US