Author Topic: Thanksgiving recipes go here  (Read 22287 times)

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
Thanksgiving recipes go here
« on: November 14, 2012, 12:31:36 PM »
I am looking for one for tart lemon meringue pie. I found one with lemon in the crust also!

Offline Tim

• The Runners
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 12:44:10 PM »
Rosemary roasted carrots.

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 25 minutes

Total Time: 30 minutes

Yield: 6-8 servings

ingredients

2 bunches of small carrots (about 24), peeled
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. minced rosemary
salt and pepper

instructions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss carrots with olive oil on a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with rosemary, salt & pepper. Bake 20-25 minutes or until tender.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
Re: Thanksgiving recipes go here
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 07:16:03 AM »
I can't help you with your pie MM, but I am looking for a good foolproof roasted turkey recipe now...

I'm not sure if I'll have a frozen turkey, so I don't think I'll be trying brining this time around. So I just need a classic recipe, tried and true.
This space for rent.

Offline crazypants

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 09:18:48 AM »
2 bunches of small carrots (about 24), peeled
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. minced rosemary
salt and pepper
Worst. Lemon Meringue.Pie.EVER!

Offline Alf Tupper

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 09:26:13 AM »

I've had worse.

:D
If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced.

That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.

Offline Tim

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 10:28:28 AM »

The thread title stated thanksgiving recipes go here. I was foolish enough to think we were being instructed to post thanksgiving recipes here. Well, excuuusse me.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 10:58:30 AM »
The thread title stated thanksgiving recipes go here. I was foolish enough to think we were being instructed to post thanksgiving recipes here. Well, excuuusse me.

You were. That one sounds good.

Offline Tim

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 11:00:46 AM »
You were. That one sounds good.

I am going to make it on Saturday. I will let you know how it turns out.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 11:02:33 AM »
I would be nervous about making anything with a meringue for the first time for an event where you will be really bummed if it doesn't work out. Meringues are super picky and it's all about timing and humidity. But, I'm a terrible baker, so I try and minimize my chance for failure, if at all possible!

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 11:04:10 AM »
I would be nervous about making anything with a meringue for the first time for an event where you will be really bummed if it doesn't work out. Meringues are super picky and it's all about timing and humidity. But, I'm a terrible baker, so I try and minimize my chance for failure, if at all possible!

Oh I have made it before...just not for a long time. Its my favorite pie.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 11:16:39 AM »
Ah. I can't help you with a recipe... but I'd probably hit up epicurious and look for one that's been reviewed a bunch. I think you can also get most (all?) of the joy of baking recipes on there.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 11:34:44 AM »
Another one...who has an awesome deviled eggs recipe? My husband begged me for them.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 11:44:55 AM »
Deviled eggs are something you can do with out a recipe! It's all to taste. Hardboil eggs (fool proof method: cold eggs into a pot with cold water 2" above the eggs- bring to a boil, then turn off heat and allow to sit for 10 minutes, either do an ice bath or just dump out the hot water and refill the pot with cold water a few times) and allow to cool completely. Cut them in half and scoop out the yolks. Add a blob of mayo and a blob of your preferred mustard (I like dijon), salt, pepper, and mash together until well combined. Taste, add more of any of the above, to your preference in texture and taste. Refill the whites with the yolk mixture. You can pipe if if you want to be fancy.

You can mix any number of things into the yolk mixture (pickles, celery, crab, horseradish, tuffle oil etc, etc) or sprinkle any number of things on top (cayenne on some, chipotle on some, is popular at my house... but you can do herbs (chives, dill, or terragon work well), bacon, caviar, shaved truffle etc, etc.)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 11:55:08 AM »
Oh and I post this every year because it is so friggin good:

Ingredients

Artichoke Parmesan Sourdough Stuffing

1 pound mushrooms, rinsed, ends trimmed, and sliced
1 tablespoon butter
2 onions (3/4 lb. total), chopped
1 cup chopped celery
2 tablespoons minced garlic
About 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 loaf (1 lb.) sourdough bread, cut into 1/2-in. cubes
2 jars (6 oz. each) marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary leaves or 3/4 tsp. crumbled dried rosemary
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 large egg

Preparation
1. In a 12-in. frying pan over high heat, cook mushrooms, butter, onions, celery, and garlic, stirring often, until vegetables are lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Pour into a large bowl. Add a bit of broth to pan and stir to scrape up browned bits. Add to bowl.
 2. Pour 2 cups broth into bowl and add bread, artichoke hearts, parmesan, poultry seasoning, and rosemary; mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Make a well in stuffing. Add egg and beat with a fork to blend; mix egg with stuffing.
 3. Preheat oven to 325° to 350° (use temperature turkey requires; see Note below). Spoon stuffing into a shallow 3-qt. (9- by 13-in.) casserole. For moist stuffing, cover with foil; for crusty stuffing, do not cover. Bake until hot (at least 150° in center) or lightly browned, about 50 minutes.
 Make ahead: Up to 1 day ahead, make stuffing, put in casserole, cover, and chill. Allow about 1 hour to bake

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 02:05:31 PM »
I can't help you with your pie MM, but I am looking for a good foolproof roasted turkey recipe now...

I'm not sure if I'll have a frozen turkey, so I don't think I'll be trying brining this time around. So I just need a classic recipe, tried and true.

I have been making Alton Brown's recipe found here for years and it is always perfect.  I see you're not sure about the brining, but it's the brining that makes the meat so tender and moist.  Consider giving it a try. 

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 03:42:56 PM »
DH has never liked the canned cranberry sauce. So the first time I made thanksgiving dinner I made it from scratch. It's so easy and he loves it (I don't care for it). But I found this recipe last week and I want to try it. It uses pomegranate juice.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/11/cranberry-pomegranate-sauce/
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2012, 04:17:55 PM »
DH has never liked the canned cranberry sauce. So the first time I made thanksgiving dinner I made it from scratch. It's so easy and he loves it (I don't care for it). But I found this recipe last week and I want to try it. It uses pomegranate juice.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/11/cranberry-pomegranate-sauce/

I am doing one this year with added orange. I LOVE cranberry sauce!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, 04:19:31 PM »
If you like ginger, craberries and ginger go really well together. Here are a couple I've made (and people liked) over the years

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Gingered-Cranberry-and-Kumquat-Relish-105837

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Cranberry-Ginger-and-Peach-Preserves-104297

This one is a fun alternative to cranberry sauce. It's a chutney- so really strong flavors, you only need a dab.But really incredible none the less.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Cranberry-Pear-and-Ginger-Chutney-240388

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2012, 04:56:18 PM »
Thanks RA! He loves ginger. I may try that chutney instead.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

+-SUPPORT US