Author Topic: No dairy question  (Read 8062 times)

Offline badger

• NTTAWWT
No dairy question
« on: October 13, 2012, 07:04:05 AM »
I'm bringing a meal to a new mom tomorrow. I was planning on making ham and potato soup, but she is off dairy now. Can I substitute soy (oranother type of milk), or will it taste funny?

Any other meal suggestions? No dairy, no acidic or gassy foods, no eggs, no fatty foods.
After all, one rarely boils a penis before insertion. - nnej

I routinely smash mirrors while walking underneath ladders just to fuck with the cosmos. - ZiggyStardust

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
Re: No dairy question
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 07:20:04 AM »
I'm bringing a meal to a new mom tomorrow. I was planning on making ham and potato soup, but she is off dairy now. Can I substitute soy (oranother type of milk), or will it taste funny?

Any other meal suggestions? No dairy, no acidic or gassy foods, no eggs, no fatty foods.

yes, as long as it's not sweetened. Go for the "original" flavors.  Rice milk or oatmilk would do, too.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 08:29:42 AM »
yes. we use Silk Unsweetened Plain Organic soy milk in all our cooking. Rice and coconut seem to be a little too sweet in savory things. Almond is fine.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 11:12:42 AM »
I make potato soups using vegetable broth.

Offline badger

• NTTAWWT
No dairy question
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 12:59:52 PM »
This soup recipe calls for chicken broth and milk. I could probably add more broth instead of milk.

I routinely smash mirrors while walking underneath ladders just to fuck with the cosmos. - ZiggyStardust

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 01:03:40 PM »
This soup recipe calls for chicken broth and milk. I could probably add more broth instead of milk.
the milk would make it creamy soup instead of brothy soup. You can even get soy or coconut creamer. I use canned coconut milk to make creamy soups, but that flavor may not jibe with all recipes.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 03:12:40 PM »
the milk would make it creamy soup instead of brothy soup. You can even get soy or coconut creamer. I use canned coconut milk to make creamy soups, but that flavor may not jibe with all recipes.

Depends...if it is a pureed potato soup the milk or replacement is unnecessary. The potato makes it plenty creamy.

Offline badger

• NTTAWWT
No dairy question
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 04:47:03 PM »
Yeah, the milk is pretty important to this recipe so I had DH pick up some soy milk. Um, yeah the part about it being unsweetened is pretty important. It didn't taste super sweet as straight milk, but the soup itself is a little interesting.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 07:59:06 PM »
Depends...if it is a pureed potato soup the milk or replacement is unnecessary. The potato makes it plenty creamy.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 08:17:22 PM »
Yeah, the milk is pretty important to this recipe so I had DH pick up some soy milk. Um, yeah the part about it being unsweetened is pretty important. It didn't taste super sweet as straight milk, but the soup itself is a little interesting.
was it not unsweetened soy milk??????

Offline badger

• NTTAWWT
Re: Re: No dairy question
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 10:05:10 PM »
was it not unsweetened soy milk??????

I saw from the ingredients that it had cane juice, so would that be the sweetened variety? The milk itself didn't taste super sweet, but the soup was a little unusual. Palatable, but unusual.

The funny thing is......DH's work is heavily involved in the dairy industry. He ran into his boss at the grocery store, who noticed the soy milk in his cart and gave DH a hard time about it! ;D His boss lives hours away from us, so it was quite a coincidence.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: Re: No dairy question
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 07:09:29 AM »
I saw from the ingredients that it had cane juice, so would that be the sweetened variety? The milk itself didn't taste super sweet, but the soup was a little unusual. Palatable, but unusual.

The funny thing is......DH's work is heavily involved in the dairy industry. He ran into his boss at the grocery store, who noticed the soy milk in his cart and gave DH a hard time about it! ;D His boss lives hours away from us, so it was quite a coincidence.
that's too funny about the boss!

this is the one we use (for future reference) and it does not have cane juice in the ingredients. There is a difference between "plain" and "unsweetened" and that was probably the confusion.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 08:30:48 AM »
that's pretty funny, badger!

Yes, big difference b/w unsweetened and plain.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline badger

• NTTAWWT
No dairy question
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 07:50:45 PM »
Yep, we had the plain (red container). Oh well, lesson learned! ;)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 07:57:51 PM »
Yep, we had the plain (red container). Oh well, lesson learned! ;)
lesson learned :) next time!!! It is crazy how many varieties of non dairy milk our regular store has, not the natural food store!!!

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 12:27:31 PM »

Well then I guess I wont be inviting you over for yummy potato leek soup.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 12:49:56 PM by Magic Microbe »

+-SUPPORT US