Author Topic: Sunday, August 27  (Read 2232 times)

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
Sunday, August 27
« on: August 27, 2023, 11:34:52 AM »
Ran 4 miles along the ocean. Sunny and hot, 27°
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline DrT(weekendwrAcur)

• The Runners
Re: Sunday, August 27
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 07:56:01 AM »
21k (trail half) 25C and humid.
6th of 16 age group, 2:25, beat the median time of all men by 1 minute;)

This had originally been an “A race” for me, but due to factors impacting training, I’d demoted it to “B” level. But doing well was important and I succeeded in running what I consider my “best warm-weather half”

Targeted a power range of 160-189W (174W) and kept my split averages  within the range for the first 10K. Power began to slip in the 3rd quarter of the race (humidity/fatigue/nutrition/endurance)? I recovered back to the low end of my target range during the final quarter (with a notable exception of one or two 500m splits late where I could barely keep power in my zone one (125W)

Caught a guy late who I’d paced off of early in the race, before he sped up. He was alternating running with walking and so we traded places a couple times before he passed me with about 2.5k to go. I regret not digging deep to try to stay with him at that point, turns out he was in my age group. He probably would have still finished ahead but I do wish I’d pushed a little harder at the end.

So, could have had 5th(?) with a little bit better execution but super happy with my result since the last two times I’d run this race the heat/humidity/fatigue had totally overwhelmed me and I was coming across in the last 25% of my group.

If I do choose to target this race again next year (or the year after when I switch age groups) I believe a podium would be a good and achievable goal. But on this day, I’d have had to have been 20 minutes faster (for either AG) to have made top 3. That’d be more like 6:15/km not 7:15/km.

I know I can run that fast. Just have to train for the conditions, etc.

Thanks for reading :)

+-SUPPORT US