Forum > Food

Bread baking

(1/5) > >>

picote:
Costco recently stopped carrying our favorite Jewish rye, so I’ve been experimenting with recipes in the bread maker. I’ve finally got something where the taste and crumb seems right, but it’s almost impossible to cut a thin slice for a sandwich, which is kind of the point.

Any ideas on what’s going wrong, or is this just a trait of homemade bread? I make a 1.5lb loaf in a horizontal loaf pan. Would I be better off making a 1lb loaf? The bread kind of collapses on itself when I try to slice it. It’s also much more moist than a super market bread, which I don’t think is helping. I’ve been wrapping the bread in Saran Wrap after it finishes—maybe it needs to dry out a bit?

Any suggestions, or is this just how homemade bread is?

(And for my wlc people, I am absolutely sure this experimentation has *nothing* to do with the extra pounds! :roll: Did I mention the flavor is very good?)

witchypoo:
are you using a good bread knife?

picote:

--- Quote from: witchypoo on January 15, 2023, 08:04:10 PM ---are you using a good bread knife?

--- End quote ---

Probably not. It’s a serrated bread knife, but smaller than a normal one. But the bread just mushes down on itself.

Kumbaya:
Is it gummy? Have you cooked it long enough, even though it may appear done?

Kumbaya:
Also have you let it cool completely or are you cutting while it's hot out of the oven?
If the dough is too moist you may want to let it cool completely out in the open air rather than in Saran Wrap.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version