Author Topic: Have we talked about this yet? Scott Jurek currently running the AT  (Read 49268 times)

iwuzwilson

Re: Have we talked about this yet? Scott Jurek currently running the AT
« Reply #120 on: July 24, 2015, 05:43:57 PM »
Of course they're UN-Professional

They're volunteers, aren't they?

I could be wrong

State Park personnel are generally paid. You might see volunteer crews out there but those writing tickets (rangers) and enforcing the rules (superintendent or supervisors) will be paid employees.

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
  • Non-Repentant Slowtwitcher
« Reply #121 on: July 24, 2015, 07:50:15 PM »
Like I said, I could be wrong

Thanks for the clarification
'We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be' ― Kurt Vonnegut

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
« Reply #122 on: July 24, 2015, 09:25:29 PM »
Seems like there's been a contentious relationship between BSP and the thru hiker community for quite some time.  I think Scott just became a convenient scapegoat.

• The Runners
« Reply #123 on: July 25, 2015, 12:30:54 AM »
Runnersworld has it too: http://www.runnersworld.com/scott-jurek/scott-jurek-responds-to-personal-attacks-misinformation-surrounding-state-park-citations?cid=social49727746&adbid=10152931301386987&adbpl=fb&adbpr=9815486986

Jurek has hired a lawyer but said he is going to wait to see what, if any, fines he will receive before pursuing any legal action.

• The Runners
« Reply #125 on: August 30, 2015, 10:30:08 AM »
Mr. Almy, the district attorney, said he was prosecuting Mr. Jurek’s case because “the park is a sacred place and he was disrespectful.”

Let's not flatter ourselves here.  It's not like Jesus wept atop the mountain (and if he ever did, he'd probably get a littering citation).

Good to hear Jurker has lawyered up.  If you're going to tell him something is okay and then punish him in the most asinine way possible for doing it, maybe you should at least be quiet about it and not go into public character assassination mode. 

Offline nneJ

• The Runners
  • Breathing without remorse since 1976
« Reply #126 on: August 31, 2015, 02:52:09 PM »
Let's not flatter ourselves here.  It's not like Jesus wept atop the mountain (and if he ever did, he'd probably get a littering citation).

Good to hear Jurker has lawyered up.  If you're going to tell him something is okay and then punish him in the most asinine way possible for doing it, maybe you should at least be quiet about it and not go into public character assassination mode. 

Mr. Bissell sounds like he's super fun at parties...  and frankly, I don't really understand their motivation.  It seems like they don't want people to be allowed in the park at all.
I can't, just can't let myself be beat by people dressed as cheeseburgers.  ~Eco Ellen

Uh. Did I just get compared to a three-year-old on a sugar high? ~debbatx

• The Runners
« Reply #127 on: September 01, 2015, 10:34:36 AM »
the idea that wilderness conservation = "no one can come here EVER!" for some people is unfortunate. Regardless, you're not going to win many supporters with a 'cite first, educate later' type policy.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #128 on: September 01, 2015, 10:40:23 AM »
the idea that wilderness conservation = "no one can come here EVER!" for some people is unfortunate. Regardless, you're not going to win many supporters with a 'cite first, educate later' type policy.
I see a lot of this in national parks and other parks, some people would rather NO ONE enter a park then people enjoy it in the name of preservation and conservation.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

• The Runners
« Reply #129 on: September 09, 2015, 07:45:59 PM »

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #130 on: September 11, 2015, 08:29:32 AM »
I'm glad that an ultra support crew does NOT need to include a lawyer
:D
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

• The Runners
« Reply #131 on: March 03, 2018, 08:06:48 PM »
HEWROTEABOOK!

https://www.amazon.com/North-Finding-While-Running-Appalachian/dp/0316433799/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

I hope he does a book signing on the summit of Katahdin and brings ALL THE CHAMPAGNE!

Offline VP of Tea

• The Runners
« Reply #132 on: March 04, 2018, 11:17:47 AM »
Of course he did. Everybody does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Www.trailjournals.com/airlockGR5

+-SUPPORT US