Author Topic: Going for the record  (Read 3752 times)

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
Going for the record
« on: February 27, 2018, 11:30:45 AM »
I kind of slid into a new age group recently, and after having a good run at the Tulsa 15K last fall, decided on the Gasparilla 15K. This was a long time big event on the US road running circuit but since they added the pro half marathon some 15 or 20 years ago the 15K is more of a citizens race but one with substantial prize money for top locals. This was my first visit to Florida.

Course is a flat and fast out and back course along Tampa Bay. Weather has been unseasonably warm with lows in high 60s and highs in the 80s.

I've been rolling at 60 to 80 miles a week since late December with a mix of endurance and tempo runs and some speed endurance mixed in. The challenge has been getting ready to run in warmer weather and at faster paces that I do in Colorado, where it's at altitude and been cold lately. Over the past month I did at least 3 treadmill runs a week in layers of clothing to prepare for heat.

Main goal was to break 55 (but wasn't sure that would happen with the warmer weather) and a stretch goal was to challenge the American age group record of 54:20 set by Norm Green in 1992.

CH's own hot dog eating face off picked us up at 5:30 am took us to the race, and we got to the start area with ample time to prepare. On race day it was about 68 and dark at the 6:45 start. It felt humid but not muggy. My 3 mile spits were about 17:49, 17:34 - picked it up at the turn around - 17:33, and 1:50 for the final 0.33 to finish in 54:43. Ended up 1st Masters (that was a surprise) and 23 sec shy of the US record. I think only Green has gone faster. No offers for endorsement opportunities yet.

Post race we went to the beach for the afternoon and then we celebrated in the eve with dinner and a couple of beers.

Gasparilla has been on my list for a long time and glad I went there for the race weekend! I'll have one or two more opportunities to run 15K this year.
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline offended by everything

• The Runners
Re: Going for the record
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 11:56:21 AM »
Outstanding. Congratulations on your performance - really impressive. Enjoy that well earned post race feeling of satisfaction.

-obe

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 12:39:51 PM »
Nice run, Congrats! 

Offline ctjim

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 01:14:58 PM »
well done !

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 02:12:26 PM »
Over the past month I did at least 3 treadmill runs a week in layers of clothing to prepare for heat.

:e)  That is hard core.

Main goal was to break 55 (but wasn't sure that would happen with the warmer weather) and a stretch goal was to challenge the American age group record of 54:20 set by Norm Green in 1992.

CH's own hot dog eating face off picked us up at 5:30 am took us to the race, and we got to the start area with ample time to prepare. On race day it was about 68 and dark at the 6:45 start. It felt humid but not muggy. My 3 mile spits were about 17:49, 17:34 - picked it up at the turn around - 17:33, and 1:50 for the final 0.33 to finish in 54:43. Ended up 1st Masters (that was a surprise) and 23 sec shy of the US record. I think only Green has gone faster. No offers for endorsement opportunities yet.

Post race we went to the beach for the afternoon and then we celebrated in the eve with dinner and a couple of beers.

Gasparilla has been on my list for a long time and glad I went there for the race weekend! I'll have one or two more opportunities to run 15K this year.

Awesome race.  Any shot at a record in colder temps?  The Boston Tuneup 15K is on 3/31.  :)  It does have a couple of big hills, though.
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 02:26:43 PM »
I had no idea who HDEFO was until Sunday!!! 

Great race!

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 02:27:41 PM »
"Over the past month I did at least 3 treadmill runs a week in layers of clothing to prepare for heat. "

I just saw this.  Holy Hell.

Offline hot dog eating face off

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 02:31:25 PM »
whoohoo whoohoo whoohoo

Great race, and it was great meeting you in person after all these years.

Here's to continued age-group dominance!  :-)

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 03:13:23 PM »
:e)  That is hard core.

Awesome race.  Any shot at a record in colder temps?  The Boston Tuneup 15K is on 3/31.  :)  It does have a couple of big hills, though.

Tulsa 15K is host to USATF masters champs and I'll go for it there next fall, and thinking about going overseas (Netherlands) for a fast course about a month later. But have to check with USATF if they'll ratify an overseas course (it's IAAF certified and I think it has the men's current world best).

"Over the past month I did at least 3 treadmill runs a week in layers of clothing to prepare for heat. "

I just saw this.  Holy Hell.

Wasn't terrible for the most part, I just ran easy, but wasn't all that much fun either. However, I think it made a difference, maybe 30 seconds compared to if I hadn't done that preparation.
whoohoo whoohoo whoohoo

Great race, and it was great meeting you in person after all these years.

Here's to continued age-group dominance!  :-)

Likewise, and thanks!

Offline kevin871

• The Runners
    • My Running Log
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 08:18:51 PM »
Wow, congrats!

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 08:44:21 PM »
So, you failed?   :skeered: j/k, What a fantastic accomplishment.  I've never been within 20 seconds of any running record.  Color me jelly. 

Online Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 09:07:11 PM »
Congrats Coyote!   :bow2:

Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
  • All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 04:46:54 PM »
Damn!  :bow2:
Winner of the 2022 Azzhat of the Year award

Offline Fred

• Turgid
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 10:17:01 AM »
I just read this. Fantastic.

Offline Fred

• Turgid
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2018, 10:22:00 AM »
Norm Green started out running at 5:30 pace every day as a masters runner. To approach his record is phenomenal. It means you are truly gifted, and understand what works for your body. And the altitude is a necessity.

Congratulations!

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2018, 11:45:34 AM »
YESYESYES!!! Did the hot dog eat your face off though?

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2018, 04:47:46 PM »
Norm Green started out running at 5:30 pace every day as a masters runner. To approach his record is phenomenal. It means you are truly gifted, and understand what works for your body. And the altitude is a necessity.

Congratulations!

Thanks!

The gift has been able to maintain at approximately the same aerobic level for the past 14-15 years. And after putting ski racing aside a few years back, plus some diet changes that have helped, I'm running 8-10 lb lighter. Planning on two more attempts at 15K this year. It might be my best event and best chance to do something. 

+-SUPPORT US