Author Topic: Help me use my CSA haul  (Read 10058 times)

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Help me use my CSA haul
« on: January 28, 2018, 02:54:52 PM »
Here's what I got.

Clockwise from top: butternut squash, kohlrabi, carrots, shallots, winter radishes, red and green cabbages, arugula, mixed greens, tatsoi, Yukon gold potatoes, onions.

Ideas?

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
Re: Help me use my CSA haul
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 04:46:35 PM »
Soup! Braised cabbage! Caramelized onions!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 05:03:44 PM »
Here are two cabbage recipes I really like. I find both really yummy with a poached egg on top. But you could eat along with just about anything. Then, of course, there is the infamous zero points soup-- which features cabbage, carrots & onions.

Classic Red Cabbage w/ apples:
1T oil
1 med onion (finely chopped)
1 clove garlic chopped
1/4 cup cider vinegar (redwine vinegar also works)
4 T sugar (you can cut this in half-- still good)
1 red cabbage (1.5 lbs) cut in quarters & shredded
1 firm apple peeled & chopped

Saute onion & garlic over med until starting to brown. Add vinegar, sugar, & 1/2 cup water. Mix together. Then add cabbage. Cook until cabbage begins to soften (15 mins or so) then add apple and simmer 30-40 minutes, covered. Add water if it looks dry. I haven't made this since I got my IP but I'd probably saute onion & garlic then add everything else and cook for 15-20 minutes.

Helen's Red Flannel Cabbage
2 cups thinly sliced onions
1 T butter
1 T olive oil
3 T tomato paste
1/8 tsp cayenne (I usually use more like 1 T because I like spicy or sometimes I use chipotle chili powder for the smokiness)
2lbs cabbage 1/2 head each of red & green, if your fancy
salt

Cook onions in a dry skillet over medium, stirring every 5 minutes, until they start to dry out. Add the butter & let it melt, then add the olive oil. Turn heat to high & cook until everything is nice & brown (another 5-10 minutes). Mix the tomato paste & cayenne together in a bowl and then slowly add 2/3 cup of water until it is smooth. Add the mixture to your onions then add the cabbage and stir to coat well. Then cover & let simmer for 30 minutes-- until it's soft but not squishy. (again-- I'd do this in my IP and try 10-15 minutes)

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 09:12:03 PM »
Good ideas so far!

I ate the tatsoi already -- sautéed it with garlic in sesame oil, added a little fish sauce at the end and sprinkled with sesame seeds. I love eating food the same day I pick it -- a rare treat in late January.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 06:37:47 AM »
We have a pinterest board for my CSA! maybe you can find some inspiration here :)

https://www.pinterest.com/jesswhel/sankanac-csa-inspiration/
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 06:39:30 AM »
a treat for sure!  I'm assuming they grow them inside?

I'll be back in a bit with more ideas but in the meantime take that kohlrabi, slice it thin, drizzle a little olive oil and salt and eat before anyone else knows you had it.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 07:24:42 AM »
Here are two cabbage recipes I really like. I find both really yummy with a poached egg on top. But you could eat along with just about anything. Then, of course, there is the infamous zero points soup-- which features cabbage, carrots & onions.

1T oil
1 clove garlic chopped

Saute onion & garlic over med until starting to brown. Add vinegar, sugar, & 1/2 cup water. Mix together. Then add cabbage. Cook until cabbage begins to soften (15 mins or so) then add apple and simmer 30-40 minutes, covered. Add water if it looks dry. I haven't made this since I got my IP but I'd probably saute onion & garlic then add everything else and cook for 15-20 minutes.

Helen's Red Flannel Cabbage
2 cups thinly sliced onions
1 T butter
1 T olive oil
3 T tomato paste
1/8 tsp cayenne (I usually use more like 1 T because I like spicy or sometimes I use chipotle chili powder for the smokiness)
2lbs cabbage 1/2 head each of red & green, if your fancy
salt

Cook onions in a dry skillet over medium, stirring every 5 minutes, until they start to dry out. Add the butter & let it melt, then add the olive oil. Turn heat to high & cook until everything is nice & brown (another 5-10 minutes). Mix the tomato paste & cayenne together in a bowl and then slowly add 2/3 cup of water until it is smooth. Add the mixture to your onions then add the cabbage and stir to coat well. Then cover & let simmer for 30 minutes-- until it's soft but not squishy. (again-- I'd do this in my IP and try 10-15 minutes)

I do the same classic red cabbage recipe but with canned pears.  Convenient because they are peeled and I only have to cut them in smaller pieces.

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 07:54:09 AM »

1T oil
1 clove garlic chopped

when I was a kid, one of my favourite side dishes was fried apples and onions... as an adult, I've started adding shredded cabbage to it, so it's not dissimilar but I think way less soft... mine is way heavier on the onion (2-3 onions to about half the cabbage) and I don't add any sugar... I put the cabbage and apple in at the same time and sautee until just softened then serve right away

(usually served with fennel-crusted pork chops)

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 08:08:25 AM »
 for the butternut squash and shallots:

sage and butternut squash pasta sauce

melt 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp butter in a saucepan; when butter foam subsides, fry a good handful of sage leaves in the fat; remove about half of them and set aside on brown paper to drain; add a couple of minced shallots and fry until softened; add cubed flesh of butternut squash and toss with the shallots and sage; add 1-2 c of liquid to just cover the squash - I usually use half dry white vermouth or white wine and half stock or water; bring to boil, simmer until squash is very tender; puree with an immersion blender; toss with cooked pasta (rigatoni or penne or other shapes that hold sauce well work best); serve with some of the reserved fried sage leaves for garnish, grated parmesan optional

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 08:19:46 AM »

I'll be back in a bit with more ideas but in the meantime take that kohlrabi, slice it thin, drizzle a little olive oil and salt and eat before anyone else knows you had it.

Hah!

Yes they keep greenhouses and use row covers, we pick fresh greens all year round. The rest are storage crops.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 08:21:12 AM »
for the butternut squash and shallots:

sage and butternut squash pasta sauce

melt 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp butter in a saucepan; when butter foam subsides, fry a good handful of sage leaves in the fat; remove about half of them and set aside on brown paper to drain; add a couple of minced shallots and fry until softened; add cubed flesh of butternut squash and toss with the shallots and sage; add 1-2 c of liquid to just cover the squash - I usually use half dry white vermouth or white wine and half stock or water; bring to boil, simmer until squash is very tender; puree with an immersion blender; toss with cooked pasta (rigatoni or penne or other shapes that hold sauce well work best); serve with some of the reserved fried sage leaves for garnish, grated parmesan optional
This looks delicious -- squash is tricky for me because I only like it savory, never sweet. Sage is great with it.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 08:32:11 AM »
This looks delicious -- squash is tricky for me because I only like it savory, never sweet. Sage is great with it.

I don't like sweet squash dishes either (with exceptions for pumpkin pie).

The other thing I sometimes do with butternut is make wee tiny cubes, toss with black beans, cumin seeds and olive oil... roast... use as taco filling.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 09:36:02 AM »
Another fan of savory squash here! 'Bou's taco suggestion is excellent.

A local restaurant serves it in a kale panzanella that is one of my all time favorite salads. The base is kale, the dressing is a dijon vin. It has chunks of roasted butternut squash, fresh apple, and fat shreds of really good sharp, white, cheddar, and of course, big, fat, lightly  toasted garlic croutons. They serve it alongside a roasted tomato soup. MMMMM so good.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2018, 10:46:07 AM »
Another fan of savory squash here! 'Bou's taco suggestion is excellent.

A local restaurant serves it in a kale panzanella that is one of my all time favorite salads. The base is kale, the dressing is a dijon vin. It has chunks of roasted butternut squash, fresh apple, and fat shreds of really good sharp, white, cheddar, and of course, big, fat, lightly  toasted garlic croutons. They serve it alongside a roasted tomato soup. MMMMM so good.

I WANT THIS NOW

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2018, 11:45:40 AM »

yum!

or just the salt...
or drizzle with honey and sprinkle with sesame seed...

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2018, 12:21:46 PM »
also, you could make your own kraut with that cabbage

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2018, 12:22:48 PM »
radish and kohlrabi kimchee

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2018, 12:28:42 PM »
my lebanese friend makes this delicious salad with shredded carrot (and I quote):

3-5 grated carrots
1 tbsp orange blossom water (or more if you like)
juice of 1 lemon (or more if the first one wasn't juicy enough)
pinch of salt
pinch of sugar
glug of olive oil
mix all that together and let it sit out at room temperature while you make whatever else you are eating with it.  enjoy!

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2018, 12:47:10 PM »
my lebanese friend makes this delicious salad with shredded carrot (and I quote):

3-5 grated carrots
1 tbsp orange blossom water (or more if you like)
juice of 1 lemon (or more if the first one wasn't juicy enough)
pinch of salt
pinch of sugar
glug of olive oil
mix all that together and let it sit out at room temperature while you make whatever else you are eating with it.  enjoy!

What's a good sub for the orange blossom water?

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2018, 01:09:19 PM »
we make a similar salad with grated carrot, sectioned oranges, chopped medjools, lemon juice, salt and olive oil.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2018, 01:10:13 PM »
What's a good sub for the orange blossom water?

there is nothing in the world that I can think of that is anything like orange blossom water...  rose water might do, but I would use way less than a tbsp (like start with a 1/4 tsp and taste)

it's very floral, but light floral

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2018, 01:33:35 PM »
we make a similar salad with grated carrot, sectioned oranges, chopped medjools, lemon juice, salt and olive oil.

oh!  and cinnamon (if desired)

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2018, 03:26:35 PM »
there is nothing in the world that I can think of that is anything like orange blossom water...  rose water might do, but I would use way less than a tbsp (like start with a 1/4 tsp and taste)

it's very floral, but light floral

I don't even know where to buy it! I guess a middle eastern type of grocery? And what else is it used for? Now, I'm intrigued...

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2018, 05:36:51 PM »
And what else is it used for? Now, I'm intrigued...

antilles cocktails.  you're welcome.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2018, 10:03:09 PM »
I don't even know where to buy it! I guess a middle eastern type of grocery? And what else is it used for? Now, I'm intrigued...

I use rose water in kheer

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2018, 11:52:06 PM »
Amazon has it, I'm sure

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2018, 01:08:07 AM »
Walmart has it.  But personally, I would just use a little orange zest and hope for the best. 

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2018, 07:55:25 AM »

I am stranded on an icy island in the North Atlantic ocean, and even I can buy it at a regular grocery store (in the imported food section)... but yes, middle eastern groceries would carry it for sure.  Probably right next to the rose water.

I use it in all sorts of things.  Salad dressings, with saffron in rice, in warm milk, in sweets like puddings, custards, ice cream, shortbread, marshmallows... stirred into plain yogurt... cocktails

orange zest is completely and utterly different

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2018, 08:19:04 AM »
I am stranded on an icy island in the North Atlantic ocean, and even I can buy it at a regular grocery store (in the imported food section)... but yes, middle eastern groceries would carry it for sure.  Probably right next to the rose water.

I use it in all sorts of things.  Salad dressings, with saffron in rice, in warm milk, in sweets like puddings, custards, ice cream, shortbread, marshmallows... stirred into plain yogurt... cocktails

Haha okay, I'll look for it!

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2018, 10:44:44 AM »

Indeed!  The carrot salad recipes sound great. 

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2018, 12:04:43 PM »

Lol, just like my cooking :)

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2018, 12:34:52 PM »

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2018, 12:51:06 PM »
Orange flower water has a very floral/perfumey note. I'm actually not a huge fan.  :-[

Offline ihop

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2018, 02:56:55 PM »
Yum!

I love red cabbage and apples.

I would roast a lot of those veggies.

Butternut squash soup?  Ravioli? The casserole with spinach (isn't that from the CH?)

Carrot ginger soup,
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2018, 04:39:22 PM »

The casserole with spinach (isn't that from the CH?)

Hah! Yes! I shared it here. It's probably the most popular side dish I've ever brought to thanksgiving. I should make that.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2018, 05:05:43 PM »

So I took this advice. I've always just eaten it raw as is, but this was delicious.

I'm using some of the arugula right now in a beef bone broth.

Offline ihop

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2018, 08:58:08 PM »
Hah! Yes! I shared it here. It's probably the most popular side dish I've ever brought to thanksgiving. I should make that.

It is yummy!

I love making a salad with arugula, grape tomatoes, and feta with grilled steak sliced on top. And a very
Basic vinaigrette.
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2018, 06:50:42 AM »
Good haul!

I love roasted red cabbage.  Just slice it thin, mix it with olive oil and a bit of salt, you can add any other veggies you like and roast at 400 until done.  Finish with a splash of balsamic.  Great as it is, or added to soup. 

I also do a mean fried cabbage recipe that is hella spicy and delicious.  I will post that recipe later.

Butternut squash is so incredibly easy to use, either sautéed with pecans, or roasted.  Great on salads, in soups, or just eaten mixed with other veggies.  I bet I roast veggies 4x/week.
You can make some delicious enchiladas/burritos with that haul. 
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

+-SUPPORT US