Author Topic: Delicious Dinner Recipes Go Here  (Read 18576 times)

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Delicious Dinner Recipes Go Here
« on: August 25, 2017, 06:33:43 PM »
This is my current fave:
https://cafedelites.com/honey-garlic-butter-salmon-foil/

I think I may have posted it here before.  By now I just wing the sauce: a lot less butter than called for, healthy squirt of honey, tons of garlic, lime or lemon juice (I keep a bottle in the fridge), parsley if I have it.  And my oven needs repair so I cook it in tinfoil on the grill. 

Super delicious.  I've discovered that salmon on really high heat (like 450 or sometimes the grill creeps up to 500) for short duration is my favorite way to cook it.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
Re: Delicious Dinner Recipes Go Here
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 08:40:14 PM »
I had a slab of bone in King salmon cooked this way (high heat, brief duration) on Wednesday.  Man, was that good! 

Offline harmony

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 03:52:36 AM »
This was delicious.  I've been on an Instant Pot kick and DH loves Indian food....he found this recipe.

http://www.carveyourcraving.com/instant-pot-spinach-chana-masala-vegan-gluten-free/ 

I only had canned chickpeas, and couldn't find Chana masala anywhere.  Google told me gharam masala plus a little lemon juice is a good substitute....I forgot the lemon juice, but the gharam masala worked.

I doubled it, other than that the pot settings were the same despite the canned beans.  Served over brown basmati rice, it was really good.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 02:53:36 PM »
This was delicious.  I've been on an Instant Pot kick and DH loves Indian food....he found this recipe.

http://www.carveyourcraving.com/instant-pot-spinach-chana-masala-vegan-gluten-free/ 

I only had canned chickpeas, and couldn't find Chana masala anywhere.  Google told me gharam masala plus a little lemon juice is a good substitute....I forgot the lemon juice, but the gharam masala worked.

I doubled it, other than that the pot settings were the same despite the canned beans.  Served over brown basmati rice, it was really good.
pinning for later!
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 11:27:42 AM »
We've been eating this a lot lately: https://www.google.com/amp/www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/ranchero-sauce-2671/amp#ampshare=http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/ranchero-sauce-2671

I serve it with refried beans thinned with a little enchilada sauce and two fried eggs. We'll eat it with a handful of baby spinach of we're feeling healthy or avocado & cheese, if not.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 11:34:08 AM »
We've been eating this a lot lately: https://www.google.com/amp/www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/ranchero-sauce-2671/amp#ampshare=http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/ranchero-sauce-2671

I serve it with refried beans thinned with a little enchilada sauce and two fried eggs. We'll eat it with a handful of baby spinach of we're feeling healthy or avocado & cheese, if not.

Thanks!  (Are you posting from germany?)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 11:48:37 AM »
Yep! Our last night.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 03:11:13 PM »
looks good (w/ veg broth)
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 02:24:45 AM »
I made a ridiculous marinara sauce today. There was absolutely nothing unusual about the recipe, just top-notch tomatoes and a long simmer time.

While I probably would have been happy to just eat that sauce with a spoon, I served it over battered and fried eggplant. Which also turned out well. This time I added a teaspoon of salt to the flour, which is much more effective and efficient than trying to salt them anywhere else in the process.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Delicious Dinner Recipes Go Here
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 09:12:44 AM »
Luke, you mean you never salted the eggplant? And the flour alone prevents bitterness? Interesting.

OH. I just reread. Salt is IN the flour. Got it.

I usually salt and drain. Your eggplant weren't too watery?

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 11:24:04 AM »
I've actually never had any trouble with eggplant being too watery. Do you use the globe eggplants? Also I let them sit for a while after battering but before frying.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 12:01:06 PM »
I've actually never had any trouble with eggplant being too watery. Do you use the globe eggplants? Also I let them sit for a while after battering but before frying.

I haven't made eggplant parm in ages and ages. I usually try to talk my mom into making it for me when I'm at her house, because I think it's a total pain in the rear.

I have a ton of veggies I need to pick today, no eggplant but some zukes that I was thinking of breading and frying. I have a feeling that's what I have in my head, zucchini and not eggplant... eggplant is much more solid.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2017, 01:26:37 PM »
this is one of my fave recipes to serve to company. it goes together pretty quickly if you get everything ready ahead of time. 

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/chicken-goulash-biscuit-dumplings

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2017, 08:34:56 PM »
that does look good witchy

I made the recipe on the bag of shaved brussels sprouts from TJ's tonight.  It's basically a sautee of the sprouts with balsamic vinegar and bacon (I used salmon bacon) and I threw in shrimp and some pistachio nuts.  It was fabulous and couldn't have been easier.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 12:14:16 PM »
we have been roasting fresh brussels until they are just this side of tender, and then tossing with a dressing of neutral oil, a bit of honey, salt, chopped hazelnuts, and chile flakes.  really good.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2017, 05:52:09 PM »
yum

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2017, 06:35:15 PM »
I am roasting peppers and onions and grilling sausages. I also made a mustardy green bean salad and corn on the cob. That's not really a recipe, but it's a delicious dinner that's pretty easy.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2017, 02:13:56 PM »
oh, and i make chicken paillard with some regularity.  use the easiest recipe you can find (there are many online), and be sure to dredge the cutlets in dijon mustard before breading.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2017, 08:10:32 AM »
I don't really find eggplant to be bitter.  I wonder if that's because I eat a lot of bitter things, or if both a and b are a sign of some sort of genetic tolerance for bitterness (it's not cultural, I grew up on bland tasteless food).

anyway, I only ever salt eggplant if the one I'm using is old... I find the very fresh (local farm purchase) stays firm when cooked, but the sad supermarket ones are really watery unless salted and drained

speaking of eggplant, some good recipes:

Grilled aubergines with spicy chickpeas & walnut sauce
Ottelenghi's eggplant with buttermilk sauce
Moosewood's eggplant and almond enchiladas

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2017, 11:22:21 AM »
yum!  that Moosewood recipe needs to happen soon in my house...as soon as I get a new freaking oven  :'(

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2017, 12:09:31 PM »
yum!  that Moosewood recipe needs to happen soon in my house...as soon as I get a new freaking oven  :'(

Is your oven on the fritz also?

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2017, 08:14:05 PM »
Yes!  For like 6 weeks now.  And apparently the fix is like $500 installed so we're ordering a new oven tomorrow.  planned obsolescence.  grumble grumble

Ours came with the house so it's a Kitchen Aid gas oven, like 10 years old.  We're getting a GE now.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2017, 08:29:12 PM »
Get a double oven!!
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2017, 08:31:43 PM »

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2017, 06:28:30 AM »
small galley kitchen, no space

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2017, 11:44:44 AM »
Yes!  For like 6 weeks now.  And apparently the fix is like $500 installed so we're ordering a new oven tomorrow.  planned obsolescence.  grumble grumble

Ours came with the house so it's a Kitchen Aid gas oven, like 10 years old.  We're getting a GE now.

Yep, same story here. The electrical part is fried. The stovetop works but not the oven. $500 repair. So, I'm buying a new one. When I get around to it. It's just super annoying. That's 2 out of the 3 brand new appliances I bought 3 years ago (diff mfg even) that have had the same problem.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2017, 03:38:04 PM »
Ouch, so sorry.  And sounds like the same thing.  What brand and how long have you had it for?  Ours: Kitchen Aid and it's about 10 years old. 

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2017, 02:11:01 PM »
Frigidaire & 3.5 years old. But it was a floor model I only paid 250$ for. But, still. 😧

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2017, 07:52:15 PM »
yep.  sigh  :-\

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2017, 05:45:41 PM »
Because PANTS

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2017, 07:38:52 PM »
oh, and i make chicken paillard with some regularity.  use the easiest recipe you can find (there are many online), and be sure to dredge the cutlets in dijon mustard before breading.

The first recipe that pops up on Google is from Rachael Ray...

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2017, 02:57:21 PM »
use the second easiest recipe you can find.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2017, 06:10:21 PM »
 :hah:

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2017, 08:03:03 PM »
 :d

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2017, 08:35:02 PM »

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2017, 10:50:24 AM »
Yep, same story here. The electrical part is fried. The stovetop works but not the oven. $500 repair. So, I'm buying a new one. When I get around to it. It's just super annoying. That's 2 out of the 3 brand new appliances I bought 3 years ago (diff mfg even) that have had the same problem.

Is there something up with your electrics service?

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2017, 12:17:10 PM »
Is there something up with your electrics service?

That's what I'm wondering. I pretty much have to re-wire my whole house so probably.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2017, 01:05:12 PM »
Not in our case, MM.  It's planned obsolescence for sure.  DH has replaced two oven parts and has a third one arriving today.  I had no oven to bake tasty things for the High Holidays and now I'm wondering if I'll ever have an oven again.  :'(

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2017, 01:19:40 PM »
Dev-- you're trying to fix it? I'm heading toward replace at this point.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2017, 04:41:09 PM »
My DH is really, really, really stubborn about this kind of thing.  I'm humoring him for this one more thing...though the part didn't arrive yesterday and he goes out of town for the weekend tomorrow. :(

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2017, 05:15:52 PM »
My DH is really, really, really stubborn about this kind of thing.  I'm humoring him for this one more thing...though the part didn't arrive yesterday and he goes out of town for the weekend tomorrow. :(

I hope he appreciates you! I'm reaaalllly missing my oven. But I'm totally tapped out right now. It's all I can do to get the tree/rat thing resolved. I'm home until Sunday and then 8 days in Chicago.

But, I really wish I had an oven right now.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2017, 08:03:59 PM »
Sorry RA.  Lately, not sure he appreciates me all that much tbh.  It's ok, he's just overworked and there's a lot going on.  But the part did come tonight (spark module) and that was the one we think.  Oven seems to be lighting reliably.  I'll plan to bake something over the weekend that could go in the toaster if needed (like veggies) and we'll see.   :fingers: :fingers:

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2017, 09:07:49 PM »
I had 2 cute little honeynut squashes waiting to be cooked so I took the plunge and turned on the oven.  It lit and ran for the 20+ minutes I needed to cook them.  And they were delicious.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2017, 09:11:45 PM »
Oooh! Yay! That sounds super yummy.

I'm looking forward to the time when cooking meals feels feasible again. It's 6:11 and I'm still working. Heading to the gym in 30 minutes and then dinner just for me. So will probably go to a neighborhood place on my way home from the gym for a bowl of soup. No! Wait! I have some curry lentil soup leftover from last week. Yeeessss.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2017, 09:27:31 PM »
win!!

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2017, 09:47:22 PM »
I get it. We have ordered parts and repaired our 5 year old fridge like 6 times. I keep hoping my stove will die because I hate it and want a new one.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2017, 03:52:18 PM »
I get it. We have ordered parts and repaired our 5 year old fridge like 6 times. I keep hoping my stove will die because I hate it and want a new one.

sounds like you love the fridge, though.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2017, 03:02:08 PM »
sounds like you love the fridge, though.

I can't see replacing an expensive fridge after so little time. We keep fixing it ourseves.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2017, 10:36:08 PM »
Southern Maryland stuffed ham.  The folklore is that this recipe originated with slaves who worked the local plantations.  Full disclosure, I haven't tried it yet, but I'm planning on serving it for the holidays. 

Southern Maryland Stuffed Ham

Offline harmony

« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2017, 12:18:53 PM »
This was delicious:

http://pressureluckcooking.com/recipe/instant-pot-cranberry-balsamic-brussels-sprouts/ and would probably be a great Thanksgiving dish.  I made it with this:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/189966/balsamic-baked-tilapia/?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=tilapia&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Recipe  and just put the tilapia on top of the sprouts in big bowls.  Fabulous and ridiculously easy.  I did the fish in my cast iron skillet, so one pan in all for that.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2017, 10:37:05 PM »
Pear Hazelnut Gnocchi with Greens: http://foodanddrink.ca/lcbo-ear/RecipeController?language=EN&recipeType=1&action=recipe&recipeID=7187

some notes:
I made about 1/2 c. of pear paste (pear butter) from 6 ripe pears and 2/3 can of hard pear cider, just cooked it down to a paste, mashing in the pan when the pears softened enough... time consuming but simple... but time consuming, so worth buying pear paste or pear butter if you can.

I'd never made gnocchi before so I carefully followed the Serious Eats instructions but using 2 lbs (fresh weight) of potato for one egg yolk: http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/03/how-to-make-light-tender-potato-gnocchi.html and was very pleased with the results.

Also, I've gone off pinot grigio lately but have been into dry rieslings, so I used riesling.

The dish was way fantastically delicious... but took all afternoon to make...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 11:54:06 AM by caribougrrl »

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2018, 07:48:53 AM »

I made this last night and I didn’t like it. DH liked it. I thought I would love it because I will eat chickpeas straight out of the jar. I used fresh tomatoes instead of canned sauce so maybe that was it.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2018, 12:15:11 PM »
Here's the butter chicken recipe I used last night.  Both Instant Pot and stovetop procedures are provided, but when I make this again, I'll use the stovetop method.  This was amazingly good.

Doc B's butter chicken.

Here's the original article by Sam Sifton in the NYT: Indian Butter Chicken, by Way of Australia

#notallprogressives

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2018, 06:25:14 AM »
My Cioppino rocked.  Actually, it was Giada's, but oh well.  Anyway, quite easy.  I used cod, tuna and mussels.  I also used serrano pepper flakes (some heritage spice club I got for Christmas).  It makes a ton so we will be eating it for the next 2 days.   :)
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/cioppino-recipe-1916710
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2018, 09:30:57 AM »
Wow that sounds fabulous Jan!  I don't believe I've ever had cioppino

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2018, 06:26:35 AM »
Basically, it's the Italian version of Bouillabaisse (and a lot easier to spell).  If you do have it, a tempranillo is the perfect red for it.
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline cherietree

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
  • What we think, we become
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2018, 08:21:20 PM »
https://diethood.com/pan-seared-salmon/

I used heavy cream opposed to evaporated milk and served with zucchini noodles. Holy shit good!

Happiness never decreases by being shared.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2018, 09:03:15 PM »
yum!  Do you think it would work with coconut milk?

Offline cherietree

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
  • What we think, we become
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2018, 12:28:04 PM »
yum!  Do you think it would work with coconut milk?

Yes, I do. I might try that next time!
Happiness never decreases by being shared.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2019, 01:05:32 PM »
The tofu recipe in this article caught my eye on Instagram and cooking it in 30 minutes seemed like an interesting challenge. We've now made all three of the recipes and they're all really good. The tofu & salmon recipes are really stand outs even if labeling them 30 minute meals was overly ambitious.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/apr/27/yotam-ottolenghi-30-minute-recipes-beans-leeks-eggs-fried-tofu-salmon-potato-bake

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2019, 04:31:15 PM »
The tofu recipe in this article caught my eye on Instagram and cooking it in 30 minutes seemed like an interesting challenge. We've now made all three of the recipes and they're all really good. The tofu & salmon recipes are really stand outs even if labeling them 30 minute meals was overly ambitious.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/apr/27/yotam-ottolenghi-30-minute-recipes-beans-leeks-eggs-fried-tofu-salmon-potato-bake
Oooooh the first one looks awesome

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2019, 04:48:00 PM »
Oooooh the first one looks awesome

It was my least fave, actually. The tofu one was AMAZING. And, I just ate the veggies of the salmon piece and it was likewise amazing (the wakame butter is phenomenal".

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2019, 07:18:34 AM »
It was my least fave, actually. The tofu one was AMAZING. And, I just ate the veggies of the salmon piece and it was likewise amazing (the wakame butter is phenomenal".
good to know!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2019, 02:12:54 PM »
I made this yesterday and it was simple and really good. I served it with brown rice & pork chops.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/marinated-lentils-with-lemony-broccolini-and-feta

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2019, 06:49:30 PM »
Sounds delicious RA

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2019, 10:41:06 AM »

It is a San Francisco creation and its really good. Unfortunately I cant eat it anymore because of the shellfish.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2019, 05:51:24 PM »

+-SUPPORT US