Author Topic: Pesto -- would almonds work?  (Read 3469 times)

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
Pesto -- would almonds work?
« on: June 01, 2017, 10:05:01 AM »
A friend gave me a bunch of fresh basil and I don't have pine nuts. But I have a whole bunch of slivered almonds. Has anyone tried substituting almonds for pine nuts in pesto?

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Re: Pesto -- would almonds work?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 10:11:04 AM »
I've used walnuts. I feel like almonds have a slightly harder density, so you'd want to be sure you got them really finely ground. But I'd try it!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 12:12:38 PM »
I have made avocado pesto and it is one of DD's most requested meals! Oh She Glows blog posted it.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 01:33:34 PM »
I have no idea, but I wouldn't do it.  I like pine nuts.  I don't like almonds.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 03:16:02 PM »
I have had pesto without nuts of any sort and it is just as good. You could give that a try. But yes, almonds would work, because I have seen it as an ingredient in pesto before (walnuts as well...not at the same time.) My one daughter is allergic to most tree nuts so I have to pay attention to things like this (and she CAN eat pine nuts, but NOT almonds and since we eat pesto all the time I always have to remember about almonds if we are out because as I said, i have seen it before.)

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 09:11:56 AM »
Thanks ya'll! Walnuts are not an option. DH is allergic. I'll give the almonds a try sometime this weekend and let you know how it goes.

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 08:36:03 PM »
Thanks ya'll! Walnuts are not an option. DH is allergic. I'll give the almonds a try sometime this weekend and let you know how it goes.

Do. I've done it before several times ... it's a bit richer (if you can believe) and very delicious.

I've also done a similar dip with roasted red pepper added, parm subtracted, and it's goooooddd.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 07:17:56 PM »
There's a soup called Soup au pistou that uses a bunch of basil. I've never tried it but was just reading about it, and it sounds delicious.

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/soupe-au-pistou-french-vegetable-soup-recipe/

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 07:32:50 PM »
I've done pesto with walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, and pine nuts.  Not all at once. 

With almonds I prefer to toast them before grinding... you could do that in the oven or even just fry them in the olive oil you plan to use (but when they get golden brown get them out of the hot oil so they don't burn... and let everything cool before using).

I really like basil, but I HATE basil pestos.  HATE them.  Mature arugula, dandelion leaf, and swiss chard, all make lovely pesto.

My favourite way to use basil is instead of lettuce on a toasted BLT.  Piled high with it.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 07:36:07 PM by caribougrrl »

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 09:34:50 PM »
I thought I had posted this already, but this is one of my favorite recipes: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/257004/zucchini-noodles-with-avocado-pesto-shrimp/

I've made it with pistachios as well as macadamia nuts.  It's really, really good. 
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

+-SUPPORT US