Forum > Food

Help me love my cast iron skillet

(1/21) > >>

Rochey:
So far I hate it.

It's messy, it's heavy, it's hard to clean.

My sister, who's damn near a gourmet chef, basically only uses hers.  She made the best hamburgers not too long ago and I tried to replicate.  They tasted good, but my house was full of smoke, grease got everywhere, and they seemed to take forever to cook.  I looked online to see if maybe i cooked them too high....every recipe said to use medium-high heat and that it should only take 2 minutes per side!  What?

Help.  Tell me your success stories before I donate this hunk of metal.

BonitaApplebum:
Where is OBH?   :obh:

I love mine, but it takes time to get it where you want it, and cooking with it is different than cooking with other pans -- it conducts heat differently.

Seasoning is key, of course. I have had the best success with flaxseed oil and a hot oven. The more seasoned your pan is, the easier it is too cook in it.

For cleaning: I usually boil a little water in the pan just to get the worst of the mess off. Then (after it cools) I have a dedicated scrubber I use for it, that never gets soap. If I need a little more grit to get stuff off, I'll use a tablespoon of salt. After it's clean and dry I always wipe it with a paper towel that's been moistened with a bit of flaxseed oil.

hally:
Are you using an electric stove? Cause I would think that would not work so good.

And....does sister have gas?

Rochey:

--- Quote from: hally on January 06, 2017, 11:51:36 AM ---Are you using an electric stove? Cause I would think that would not work so good.

And....does sister have gas?

--- End quote ---

Yes and no.  she just has some special voodoo cooking magic it seems.

BonitaApplebum:
I have an electric stove, as does my BFF (who is a wizard with cast iron), so I don't think that's a problem.

This piece is pretty good: http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/cooking-tips/article/how-to-use-a-cast-iron-skillet

I think the key takeaway is get that pan hot before you do anything with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version