Author Topic: A Farewell To Carbs  (Read 26009 times)

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
Re: A Farewell To Carbs
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2017, 05:11:12 PM »
And then you just eat the wedge? All by itself?  :skep:

I will try it, but I feel like you cabbage eaters are playing an elaborate hoax on me.

:D

I've tried cabbage prepared multiple ways and still don't like it. The most I can tolerate is a small amount of raw, well-shredded cabbage on a fish taco.

And pickled/fermented cabbage (kraut, kimchi, etc.) is like the most horrible thing in the universe except for green peas.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2017, 05:16:16 PM »
I like raw cabbage, like in slaw. But whenever I make it, slaw hangs around longer than I can eat it all, because I only seem to eat a little at a time.

Kraut is okay... in a reuben.

I can do some cabbage in a stir fry, but it needs to be more of a backup singer than the star performer.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2017, 05:34:24 PM »
Yes! Smoked paprika, FTW!
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2017, 07:11:45 PM »
If you're not butter-averse,  cabbage sliced thinly and sautéed in butter is good. Quality sauerkraut (like Bubbie's) sautéed in butter is even better. Some S & P sprinkled over...mmmmm.

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2017, 08:16:46 PM »
Ooooh i used to make a cabbage pad thai with cabbage shredded instead of the noodles, SO YUMMY! I totally forgot abotu that!~

Mu shu is cabbage ... homemade without the copious amounts of oil, it's still pretty good. I also love hoisin.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2017, 08:21:18 PM »
Mu shu is cabbage ... homemade without the copious amounts of oil, it's still pretty good. I also love hoisin.
Mu Shu is good, this is more peanut- Pad Thai flavor using cabbage instead of rice noodles. YUM!
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2017, 09:20:35 PM »
And then you just eat the wedge? All by itself?  :skep:

I will try it, but I feel like you cabbage eaters are playing an elaborate hoax on me.

I guess I got all worked up because I bought a head of cabbage on the way home from tennis and roasted it as a side for dinner tonight.  I used fennel seed AND aleppo pepper and it was so good.  You are cheating yourself if you don't give it a try. 

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2017, 09:25:51 PM »
I guess I got all worked up because I bought a head of cabbage on the way home from tennis and roasted it as a side for dinner tonight.  I used fennel seed AND aleppo pepper and it was so good.  You are cheating yourself if you don't give it a try.

OK. I don't mean to yuck anybody else's yum.

I'll try it next time we get a cabbage. I'm guessing there are still some coming in the next farm share...

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2017, 11:02:53 AM »
I really like this recipe. It's kinda weird, but I think it's tasty. I like it with over easy eggs on top.

Helen's Red Flannel Cabbage

2 cups thinly sliced onions
1tbs  butter
1tbs olive oil
3 tbs tomato paste
1lb of red cabbage thinly shredded

Place onions in a large dry skillet or Dutch Oven over medium-low heat. Cook stirring every 5 minutes, until the onions look slightly dried out. 15-20 minutes-- don't let them burn. Add the oil and butter and when the butter is melted increase the heat to high. Cook onions until they are all brown- about 7 minutes. Mix the tomato paste and cayenne together in a small bowl. Gradually stir in 2/3 cup of water. Add the tomato mixture to the onions and then add the cabbage. Stir until all is well coated. Cover & let simmer until everything is tender but not disintegrated. (30 minutes or so) Season with salt to taste.

This recipe makes a lot. You could easily halve it if you just want to try it. I think you could do it in your IP for 7-10 minutes.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2017, 11:08:10 AM »
also, the name on this one is not sexy but it sure is tasty. It lasts in the fridge for a while. Even the picky peeps in our family will eat it. I like it just as a salad on its own but everyone else likes it alongside pulled pork from the IP (tacos but you could just skip the tortilla and eat the salad and meat)

https://smittenkitchen.com/2014/11/pickled-cabbage-salad/

I do something sort of like this for the pulled pork. I use water instead of stock though and I finish on the stove rather than pre-searing. I don't eat meat but everyone seems to like it. I cut it in to chunks so it cooks quickly. 45 minutes or so usually.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/instant-pot-pork-carnitas-mexican/

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2017, 11:15:47 AM »
also, the name on this one is not sexy but it sure is tasty. It lasts in the fridge for a while. Even the picky peeps in our family will eat it. I like it just as a salad on its own but everyone else likes it alongside pulled pork from the IP (tacos but you could just skip the tortilla and eat the salad and meat)

I swear she stole that recipe from my mother, right down to the pickling cucumber.

I'm not a big fan of it though... to me, it pretty much tastes like straight-up celery seed in vinegar.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2017, 11:16:45 AM »
Plus I looked again and it has sugar so scratch that anyway.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2017, 11:21:25 AM »
Plus I looked again and it has sugar so scratch that anyway.

a lot of sugar, too...

where do low/no carb diets fall on white balsamic vinegar? it might be sweet enough to carry the dressing without the sugar

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2017, 11:24:12 AM »
a lot of sugar, too...

where do low/no carb diets fall on white balsamic vinegar? it might be sweet enough to carry the dressing without the sugar

I don't know what the Official Rules are, but since I'm a low- and not no- carber, I'm open minded. I will either adapt recipes or just accept that some carbs may lie within. My goals are mainly to avoid adding white sugar to things and to skip stuff like bread, rice, potatoes, pasta. So, balsamic vinegar doesn't really faze me.

Online ihop

« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2017, 02:47:36 PM »

I do something sort of like this for the pulled pork. I use water instead of stock though and I finish on the stove rather than pre-searing. I don't eat meat but everyone seems to like it. I cut it in to chunks so it cooks quickly. 45 minutes or so usually.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/instant-pot-pork-carnitas-mexican/

I made the pickled cabbage last night with a reduced amount of sugar.  I served it with pork loin that was marinated in soy, sesame oil, garlic, and green onions.  I thought it was delicious and DD said it was the best meal I had made in two weeks.
La madre degli imbecilli รจ sempre incinta.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2017, 04:49:42 PM »
The pickled cabbage salad is just the style of cabbage dish I like -- I will definitely try that. FWIW I have a pork loin defrosting, too! Hmm...

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2017, 02:35:28 AM »
I made the roasted cabbage and we threw it out.  It's pretty much the only thing I ever made the was thrown out...

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2017, 06:39:28 AM »
I made the roasted cabbage and we threw it out.  It's pretty much the only thing I ever made the was thrown out...
what did you season it with? Was it cooked long enough?

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2017, 09:16:02 AM »

Even after you roast it, it's still cabbage.  Some people just don't like cabbage very much.  I hated it as a kid, but then my taste buds grew up :D

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2017, 12:38:34 PM »
Even after you roast it, it's still cabbage.  Some people just don't like cabbage very much.  I hated it as a kid, but then my taste buds grew up :D

I dislike it even more as an adult, my tastebuds must have evolved to a higher plane of existence.  :P

+-SUPPORT US