Author Topic: A Farewell To Carbs  (Read 26294 times)

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
A Farewell To Carbs
« on: December 28, 2016, 02:49:45 PM »
Welp, the time has come for me to take a break from delicious carbs. I've indulged too much over the holidays, and I need to turn things around. Eating low carb seems to be the most reliable way for me to lose weight (although nothing is a slamdunk  now that I'm older and fatter, I'm afraid).

I do okay with low carb diets at first, but after a while I get bored -- NOTHING looks good to me, and then I wind up cheating because I feel like carby goodness is the only thing I really want to eat.

Some things that help me stay on track:

- prepping food ahead of time so that I have easily accessible protein options
- meal planning in general
- getting processed carbs and other temptations out of the house (easier said than done when you aren't the only resident)
- having new and interesting recipes to keep me interested
- soup

Any other thoughts or suggestions? As you all know, I'm fucking horrible at staying on track because I have the attention span of a flea.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
Re: A Farewell To Carbs
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 03:03:31 PM »
Low carb means different things to different people. Can you tell us more about what's on the ok list and what's off the list all together?

I can't do anything that calls itself low carb because I find the cravings (which aren't normally a problem) take over my life and all I can think about is FOOOD. But, if I do something that is low carb and don't call it low carb. It's dumb. I know.

Things that work for me:
- stay ahead of the hunger and eat a little every 2-3 hours. Cluster most of my meals in the early part of the day so I feel satieted already at dinner time.
- eat lots of fiber
-when I'm craving sugar in the afternoon eat something protein + fat (a handful of almonds or two string cheese and an apple or two hardboiled eggs are good)
- I can't eat stuff that is a substitute for pasta but yes to things that are vaguely similar in taste profile. Like spaghetti squash for spaghetti is a nfw. But these, minus the eggs and topped with tomato sauce? Hit the italian tomatoey food thing for me. http://www.stuffed-pepper.com/rosemary-spaghetti-squash-egg-nests-graindairy-free/

And, yes-- planning out my meals so that I get to eat something yummy and on-task is the ONLY way I succeed. Otherwise, I get hungry and eat whatever sounds good. Which is never healthy.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 03:07:19 PM »
I've also had good luck just skipping the carbs in some of my favorite meals. Like-- roasted veggies plus pasta and parm. SO yummy. But, turns out, still yummy and pretty satisfying as just a plate of roasted veggies. Maybe add beans (if allowed ). A fried egg works too. Or a veggie sausage if I have one. You could do regular sausage of course.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 03:20:54 PM »
Low carb means different things to different people. Can you tell us more about what's on the ok list and what's off the list all together?

I can't do anything that calls itself low carb because I find the cravings (which aren't normally a problem) take over my life and all I can think about is FOOOD. But, if I do something that is low carb and don't call it low carb. It's dumb. I know. 

Haha, no, I get it.

I would say that what seems to work for me is:
- No pasta, bread, white rice, potatoes
- No processed/refined sugars
- No alcohol
- Very limited servings of grains and beans

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 04:27:59 PM »
How low carb are you going? I'm trying to stay under 20 net per day.

Also edited to say that I have the same sort of "restrictions" you have, but no grains or anything. No fruit except berries, and those rarely. Whenever I go low carb, I remember how crappy carbs make me feel. I wish I could be like normal people who don't pass out after eating a bagel.

Tips...
Replace noodles with zoodles or spaghetti squash (LOL I just saw your squash comment on my second read of your post)
I have not tried shirataki or kelp noodles, but those are low carb and are supposed to be a good stand in for noodles in Asian dishes (instead of rice noodles)
You can make fake breads with almond, coconut flour, etc.

Check out reddit/keto, regardless of your carb limit there are a lot of good tips, recipes, and support posts there.

Also, there is a school of thought that says, NO SUGAR so your cravings die. I think, I want this to be sustainable, so if I can eat some sugar free jello (fake sweetener) or high cocoa % chocolate, I'm less likely to go astray.

I can post some good recipe blog links later, when I get home, if you check out the reddit forum, there are links to some of the blogs on the sidebar.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 04:37:17 PM by Dagstag v 2.0 »

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 05:43:03 PM »
I'll definitely check out that subreddit, thanks.

I try to target around 30 net. And I try to be pretty strict about grains, and save them for the weekend. I still eat some fruit.

I don't really get tons of sugar cravings, to be honest. Sugar is not my weakness. My weakness is comfort foods like mac and cheese. :D

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 06:45:00 PM »
low carb diets include eliminating fruit?  I had no idea.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 06:53:31 PM »

Very strict ones do.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 06:57:43 PM »
I'm not a crazy fruit eater, so it doesn't impact me much one way or the other. One or maybe two pieces a day, max. Some days none.

Unless clementines are in season, and then all bets are off!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 07:02:17 PM »
I eat half my calories in fruit probably, lol! I am however on a gluten and grain free diet!
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 08:09:34 PM »

Yeah, for those really needing to rein in the sugar intake.

I will not get to salmon and ghee routine, though.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2016, 08:52:32 PM »
Yeah, for those really needing to rein in the sugar intake.

I will not get to salmon and ghee routine, though.

This isn't the carbo canteen!!  >:(

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2016, 08:56:26 PM »
i need to rein in my sugar intake!  but my only saving grace is replacing chocolate with grapes and Clementine! :D

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2016, 09:19:31 PM »
I can't do anything that calls itself low carb because I find the cravings (which aren't normally a problem) take over my life and all I can think about is FOOOD.

Me neither.  Might as well be trying to cure alcoholism by limiting yourself to one drink per day.  I'm either eating carbs or not.  When I get to feeling particularly fluffy, I just stop eating carbs altogether.  Works great for me.  There is a week or two while your metabolism makes the adjustment, but after that it's smooth sailing.  The carb cravings pretty much disappear when you stop teasing yourself with little dollops of the stuff.  By the time I get bored with the monotony of a no carb diet, all the excess fat has melted away and I'm ready for another round of indulgence. 

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2016, 09:37:02 PM »
Months and months after I get bored with the monotony of a no carb diet, some of the excess fat has melted away but most of it is still stubbornly hanging on and I'm ready for another round of indulgence.

^ FIFY (if "you" = a forty something woman)

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2016, 08:27:32 AM »

Replace noodles with zoodles or spaghetti squash (LOL I just saw your squash comment on my second read of your post)

This practice caused me to overeat. Vegetables don't leave me satisfied very long, resulting in numerous snacks after dinner.  Way too many.

I find that cutting down on carbs and increasing protein makes me lose a lot of water initially... lots more trips to the bathroom.  It also affects my running negatively.  I have stopped cutting carbs.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2016, 08:59:19 AM »
My running already sucks, no danger there!

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2016, 09:58:27 AM »
This practice caused me to overeat. Vegetables don't leave me satisfied very long, resulting in numerous snacks after dinner.  Way too many.

I find that cutting down on carbs and increasing protein makes me lose a lot of water initially... lots more trips to the bathroom.  It also affects my running negatively.  I have stopped cutting carbs.

Wow, really? I have never had this happen.  It's so weird how people react differently to the intake of the same foods. 

There is some water weight lost at the beginning, but that tapers off.  I'm low carb but not super high protein.

And my running already sucks, too :D Part of why I am doing this is because after my hip/foot issues for almost the past 2 years, I have put on weight, and I need to get some more off before I can pound the pavement.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2016, 10:07:53 AM »
Haha, no, I get it.

I would say that what seems to work for me is:
- No pasta, bread, white rice, potatoes
- No processed/refined sugars
- No alcohol
- Very limited servings of grains and beans

This seems like a doable approach.

For me, I find that I do not like to cut out any food groups. The loss from that only comes right back as soon as you eat them again.
I try not to eat white rice, bread. Pasta I weigh 2oz before cooking and that is my portion. I would say I only eat it once a week normally.
I eat oatmeal all the time and brown rice/barley or quinoa often.
I like a sandwich sometimes, and I like toasted light rye or light english muffin with my eggs so I am not cutting that out altogether.

I think being accountable by keeping an accurate food journal be it WW or MFP or some other app or web page and weighing and measuring rather than eyeballing portions. 
There is no magic bullet.                               
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2016, 10:24:51 AM »
I think being accountable by keeping an accurate food journal be it WW or MFP or some other app or web page and weighing and measuring rather than eyeballing portions.                         

Yes!  I use MFP to stay accountable.  And I weigh measure everything too, and thus have gotten a better perspective for when I do have to eyeball something (social eating situations.)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2016, 12:53:40 PM »

Atkins even cuts out most veggies. No carrots,  sweet potatoes,  peppers, and kale is in the "caution" group.

http://sa.atkins.com/new-atkins/the-program/phase-1-induction.html

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2016, 01:21:19 PM »
I am going to start logging my food again January 1, maybe 2nd ;) If we go to NYC Monday then the 3rd :D
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2016, 01:49:45 PM »
Atkins even cuts out most veggies. No carrots,  sweet potatoes,  peppers, and kale is in the "caution" group.

http://sa.atkins.com/new-atkins/the-program/phase-1-induction.html
ok, at the risk of sounding judgey... that is nuts.

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2016, 03:35:58 PM »

Right?

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2016, 03:57:41 PM »

To be fair, that's just the first phase in the weight loss plan. The goal is  to lose the weight and gradually increase carbs and find a carb amount that is not excessive for yourself, that is, the amount of carbs you can eat and maintain your weight.

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2016, 06:09:04 PM »
 :nono:

#notallprogressives

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2016, 10:50:58 PM »
You will take my carbs from my cold dead body.  Plus I already eat too much bacon.

I would say my main issues are:
(1) Not planning for lunch - and therefore skipping it and being INSANELY HUNGRY when I get off work. 
(2) Too much alcohol
(3) Not enough exercise
(4) Irratic work schedule (if I'm starving at 5 and working until 7....well, not pretty).

These all have a habit of playing into one another.  I'm slammed at work and don't make it to the store, so I don't have lunch, so I'm really really hungry and have no food (or time) so I go to the bar near work where there is food and drink and then it's late because also I desperately need to socialize a little to relieve the stress so I'm there more than the 45 minutes it really takes so again there's no time for store or exercise or packing lunch.  Repeat.

Also I am a sandwich girl.  Solving the above involves sandwiches for lunch.  I just cannot do salad at lunchtime.  It's time-consuming and I get tired of eating it long before I've had enough to sustain me to dinner.   I don't mind salads for dinner, but if I missed lunch and am in EAT ALL THE THINGS mode, a salad just does not have the same appeal as say country fried steak with gravy.

Carbs are the least of my problems.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2016, 11:08:11 PM »
RG is my chubbiness twin! (Only she's not chubby)

Offline floridagal

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2016, 10:58:35 PM »
Explain the no alcohol part....complete abstinence?  :panic:
If I've learned nothing else, it's that people are crazy.
--RioG

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2016, 01:16:17 AM »
Well, not forever! But I'm a beer drinker, primarily. It's easier for me to just cut it out entirely for a while.

Offline floridagal

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2016, 01:20:36 PM »
Well, not forever! But I'm a beer drinker, primarily. It's easier for me to just cut it out entirely for a while.

Same... well, the beer drinkier part not the easier to just cut it out completely part.  I'm going to give this all a try a little later than youse guys - my son is home from college til Wednesday or Thursday.
If I've learned nothing else, it's that people are crazy.
--RioG

Offline Sparklebuggy

• Not Dead
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2017, 02:37:57 PM »
To be fair, that's just the first phase in the weight loss plan. The goal is  to lose the weight and gradually increase carbs and find a carb amount that is not excessive for yourself, that is, the amount of carbs you can eat and maintain your weight.

Dag....if you're interested in keto, lookup ketogains on reddit and Facebook. If you truly want to shred fat, go to www.ketogains.com and use their Marco calculator.

It's amazing to see the transformations that people post. I have been keto for years, but it's amazing to see where people come from and how they are able to change their lifestyle. Be sure to read the FAQ page, or else you may get shamed...just a heads up!  :panic:

Here are a few websites that I like...www.ditchthecarbs.com, www.ruled.me.com, www.iquitsugar.com and www.rippedrecipes.com. Also, reddit has a sub for keto recipes. Ketogains also has another page for recipes, though I'm  not sure what it's called.

Just remember, carbs are not needed! Protein is a goal, fat is is a lever and carb is a limit!   :preen:

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2017, 07:58:32 PM »
Dag....if you're interested in keto, lookup ketogains on reddit and Facebook. If you truly want to shred fat, go to www.ketogains.com and use their Marco calculator.

It's amazing to see the transformations that people post. I have been keto for years, but it's amazing to see where people come from and how they are able to change their lifestyle. Be sure to read the FAQ page, or else you may get shamed...just a heads up!  :panic:

Here are a few websites that I like...www.ditchthecarbs.com, www.ruled.me.com, www.iquitsugar.com and www.rippedrecipes.com. Also, reddit has a sub for keto recipes. Ketogains also has another page for recipes, though I'm  not sure what it's called.

Just remember, carbs are not needed! Protein is a goal, fat is is a lever and carb is a limit!   :preen:

I have not seen that website yet, I've been using the ankerl calculator? Already had to recalculate twice since the beginning of December! But I will check out that site.

I've seen the keto recipe sub and also check out xxketo from time to time.  Still being very good with carbs but I did have a tryst with some Lily's chocolate last night :-o

My willpower will be tested as I'm on vacation next week and then two weeks after I return I'm off to Europe for work for three weeks :panic: breads and paella and pastries, oh fuck.

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2017, 02:05:37 PM »
Has anyone said lots of cabbage yet? Totally forgot that this is my low carb secret until the veggie thread. If I'm prepared with enough cabbage and cooking time, it really makes everything seem easy. These days, I'm a bit too lazy but am gonna try :(

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2017, 02:31:49 PM »
Has anyone said lots of cabbage yet? Totally forgot that this is my low carb secret until the veggie thread. If I'm prepared with enough cabbage and cooking time, it really makes everything seem easy. These days, I'm a bit too lazy but am gonna try :(
Ooooh i used to make a cabbage pad thai with cabbage shredded instead of the noodles, SO YUMMY! I totally forgot abotu that!~

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2017, 03:20:28 PM »
Ooooh i used to make a cabbage pad thai with cabbage shredded instead of the noodles, SO YUMMY! I totally forgot abotu that!~
I need to investigate this! I love pad thai.

Offline wherestheportojohn

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2017, 03:29:33 PM »
I just found this thread.

Whoa.

...and, I'm getting the fuck outta here....

On, Wisconsin

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2017, 03:53:26 PM »
I'm doing pretty well. I am curious about the cabbage, though. How are people making DELICIOUS AND WONDERFUL cabbage? In my experience, cabbage kind of sucks. I'd love to find out otherwise.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2017, 04:07:05 PM »
The roasted cabbage wedges that meri was talking about are really tasty and easy.  Recipes abound, but it's basically a matter whacking the entire head into disks about an inch, thick drizzling with olive oil, and seasoning with salt, pepper, and any other seasoning that strikes your fancy.  I'm in love with Aleppo Pepper from the Spice House at the moment, but people use carraway, fennel, stuff like that.  Arrange in a roasting pan and stick them in a 400 degree oven until you get whatever degree of roastedness you like.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2017, 05:01:14 PM »
And then you just eat the wedge? All by itself?  :skep:

I will try it, but I feel like you cabbage eaters are playing an elaborate hoax on me.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2017, 05:11:12 PM »

I will try it, but I feel like you cabbage eaters are playing an elaborate hoax on me.

:D

I've tried cabbage prepared multiple ways and still don't like it. The most I can tolerate is a small amount of raw, well-shredded cabbage on a fish taco.

And pickled/fermented cabbage (kraut, kimchi, etc.) is like the most horrible thing in the universe except for green peas.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2017, 05:16:16 PM »
I like raw cabbage, like in slaw. But whenever I make it, slaw hangs around longer than I can eat it all, because I only seem to eat a little at a time.

Kraut is okay... in a reuben.

I can do some cabbage in a stir fry, but it needs to be more of a backup singer than the star performer.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2017, 05:34:24 PM »
Yes! Smoked paprika, FTW!

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2017, 07:11:45 PM »
If you're not butter-averse,  cabbage sliced thinly and sautéed in butter is good. Quality sauerkraut (like Bubbie's) sautéed in butter is even better. Some S & P sprinkled over...mmmmm.

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2017, 08:16:46 PM »

Mu shu is cabbage ... homemade without the copious amounts of oil, it's still pretty good. I also love hoisin.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2017, 08:21:18 PM »
Mu shu is cabbage ... homemade without the copious amounts of oil, it's still pretty good. I also love hoisin.
Mu Shu is good, this is more peanut- Pad Thai flavor using cabbage instead of rice noodles. YUM!

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2017, 09:20:35 PM »

I guess I got all worked up because I bought a head of cabbage on the way home from tennis and roasted it as a side for dinner tonight.  I used fennel seed AND aleppo pepper and it was so good.  You are cheating yourself if you don't give it a try. 

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2017, 09:25:51 PM »
I guess I got all worked up because I bought a head of cabbage on the way home from tennis and roasted it as a side for dinner tonight.  I used fennel seed AND aleppo pepper and it was so good.  You are cheating yourself if you don't give it a try.

OK. I don't mean to yuck anybody else's yum.

I'll try it next time we get a cabbage. I'm guessing there are still some coming in the next farm share...

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2017, 11:02:53 AM »
I really like this recipe. It's kinda weird, but I think it's tasty. I like it with over easy eggs on top.

Helen's Red Flannel Cabbage

2 cups thinly sliced onions
1tbs  butter
1tbs olive oil
3 tbs tomato paste
1lb of red cabbage thinly shredded

Place onions in a large dry skillet or Dutch Oven over medium-low heat. Cook stirring every 5 minutes, until the onions look slightly dried out. 15-20 minutes-- don't let them burn. Add the oil and butter and when the butter is melted increase the heat to high. Cook onions until they are all brown- about 7 minutes. Mix the tomato paste and cayenne together in a small bowl. Gradually stir in 2/3 cup of water. Add the tomato mixture to the onions and then add the cabbage. Stir until all is well coated. Cover & let simmer until everything is tender but not disintegrated. (30 minutes or so) Season with salt to taste.

This recipe makes a lot. You could easily halve it if you just want to try it. I think you could do it in your IP for 7-10 minutes.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2017, 11:08:10 AM »
also, the name on this one is not sexy but it sure is tasty. It lasts in the fridge for a while. Even the picky peeps in our family will eat it. I like it just as a salad on its own but everyone else likes it alongside pulled pork from the IP (tacos but you could just skip the tortilla and eat the salad and meat)

https://smittenkitchen.com/2014/11/pickled-cabbage-salad/

I do something sort of like this for the pulled pork. I use water instead of stock though and I finish on the stove rather than pre-searing. I don't eat meat but everyone seems to like it. I cut it in to chunks so it cooks quickly. 45 minutes or so usually.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/instant-pot-pork-carnitas-mexican/

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2017, 11:15:47 AM »
also, the name on this one is not sexy but it sure is tasty. It lasts in the fridge for a while. Even the picky peeps in our family will eat it. I like it just as a salad on its own but everyone else likes it alongside pulled pork from the IP (tacos but you could just skip the tortilla and eat the salad and meat)

I swear she stole that recipe from my mother, right down to the pickling cucumber.

I'm not a big fan of it though... to me, it pretty much tastes like straight-up celery seed in vinegar.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2017, 11:16:45 AM »
Plus I looked again and it has sugar so scratch that anyway.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2017, 11:21:25 AM »
Plus I looked again and it has sugar so scratch that anyway.

a lot of sugar, too...

where do low/no carb diets fall on white balsamic vinegar? it might be sweet enough to carry the dressing without the sugar

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2017, 11:24:12 AM »
a lot of sugar, too...

where do low/no carb diets fall on white balsamic vinegar? it might be sweet enough to carry the dressing without the sugar

I don't know what the Official Rules are, but since I'm a low- and not no- carber, I'm open minded. I will either adapt recipes or just accept that some carbs may lie within. My goals are mainly to avoid adding white sugar to things and to skip stuff like bread, rice, potatoes, pasta. So, balsamic vinegar doesn't really faze me.

Online ihop

« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2017, 02:47:36 PM »

I do something sort of like this for the pulled pork. I use water instead of stock though and I finish on the stove rather than pre-searing. I don't eat meat but everyone seems to like it. I cut it in to chunks so it cooks quickly. 45 minutes or so usually.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/instant-pot-pork-carnitas-mexican/

I made the pickled cabbage last night with a reduced amount of sugar.  I served it with pork loin that was marinated in soy, sesame oil, garlic, and green onions.  I thought it was delicious and DD said it was the best meal I had made in two weeks.
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2017, 04:49:42 PM »
The pickled cabbage salad is just the style of cabbage dish I like -- I will definitely try that. FWIW I have a pork loin defrosting, too! Hmm...

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2017, 02:35:28 AM »
I made the roasted cabbage and we threw it out.  It's pretty much the only thing I ever made the was thrown out...

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2017, 06:39:28 AM »
I made the roasted cabbage and we threw it out.  It's pretty much the only thing I ever made the was thrown out...
what did you season it with? Was it cooked long enough?

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2017, 09:16:02 AM »

Even after you roast it, it's still cabbage.  Some people just don't like cabbage very much.  I hated it as a kid, but then my taste buds grew up :D

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2017, 12:38:34 PM »
Even after you roast it, it's still cabbage.  Some people just don't like cabbage very much.  I hated it as a kid, but then my taste buds grew up :D

I dislike it even more as an adult, my tastebuds must have evolved to a higher plane of existence.  :P

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2017, 12:40:28 PM »
I dislike it even more as an adult, my tastebuds must have evolved to a higher plane of existence.  :P

:D  You're still a young sprout.  There's time for you yet. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2017, 12:42:57 PM »
Do you dislike brussel sprouts as well? As an adult, they have become one of my most favorite vegetables and DD even likes them, and she is picky about which veggies she likes.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2017, 01:07:51 PM »
Do you dislike brussel sprouts as well? As an adult, they have become one of my most favorite vegetables and DD even likes them, and she is picky about which veggies she likes.

I *love* brussel sprouts, always have.

The only vegetables I truly dislike are cabbage and green peas.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2017, 11:58:45 AM »
I think it's totally ok to just not like something. That is why I don't eat meat. I just don't like it.

Ditto mushrooms. I really just do not like them. No matter how amazing any particular recipe is... I just don't like them. Nothing will change that. Although I wouldn't choose to eat them, I will not gag on some of the less fleshy wild type. People are always aghast: you are a vegetarian who doesn't like mushrooms? how can that be?! I have no idea where mushrooms and vegetarians got connected. It's never made any sense to me.

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2017, 09:37:09 PM »
I think it's totally ok to just not like something. That is why I don't eat meat. I just don't like it.

Ditto mushrooms. I really just do not like them. No matter how amazing any particular recipe is... I just don't like them. Nothing will change that. Although I wouldn't choose to eat them, I will not gag on some of the less fleshy wild type. People are always aghast: you are a vegetarian who doesn't like mushrooms? how can that be?! I have no idea where mushrooms and vegetarians got connected. It's never made any sense to me.

Interesting. They can be very "meaty" so I guess if you are a vegetarian because you don't like meat, it makes perfect sense to also dislike mushrooms. But if you are a vegetarian (for ethical or whatever else reason) but miss meat, you'd want some mushrooms.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2017, 11:59:05 PM »
Interesting. They can be very "meaty" so I guess if you are a vegetarian because you don't like meat, it makes perfect sense to also dislike mushrooms. But if you are a vegetarian (for ethical or whatever else reason) but miss meat, you'd want some mushrooms.

I've never understood this. They don't seam "meaty" at all to me. They seem slimy and they taste like dirt. Neither of which I associate with meat. But, I do avoid a lot of meat substitutes for this reason. If they are too meaty, I can't eat them.

Online Suesquatch

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2017, 12:28:33 AM »
I detest cabbage and since I don't live in northern Europe I don't hafta eat it.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2017, 06:18:52 AM »
I've never understood this. They don't seam "meaty" at all to me. They seem slimy and they taste like dirt. Neither of which I associate with meat. But, I do avoid a lot of meat substitutes for this reason. If they are too meaty, I can't eat them.
I do not think mushrooms are meaty, jackfruit seems closer to meat vegetable wise. Meat substitutes freak me out.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2017, 11:43:45 AM »
I have always eaten tofu and like it a lot. I know a lot of people hate soy though. Seitan too. Field roast is local to me and is seitan plus spices and veggies. I worked for the founder as a teenager and I like their values. 

That's pretty much it. Field roast is vaguely sausage shaped but not meaty in taste or texture.

I never use the plethora of products out there. But it seems like they are popular.

I've seen the jackfruit stuff at the store but skipped it bc the Nutritionals don't look.that good. Am I missing something?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2017, 11:45:34 AM »
No, jackfruit is popular now because it is like pulled pork and easy to get a sauce on it. I thought it was gross.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2017, 11:50:07 AM »
BA, how is this going?

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2017, 01:29:06 PM »
BA, how is this going?

Sorry, I didn't see this until now.

It's going okay. I haven't really been as hardcore as I envisioned. During the week I eat pretty low carb, but the weekends are a bit more flexible. I think I lost a few pounds but nothing significant.

I get really really bored very quickly when I cut carbs out of my diet. Apparently, that's all I really like. By the end of the week I'm always like, ugh, not more protein when I'm looking for something to eat.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2017, 01:35:05 PM »
Here's something easy and good I made the other day -- I had a pound of sausage (seasoned ground pork, not in links) that was quite spicy. I browned it all, and then added northern white beans and sauteed bok choy. It was really good on its own, DH had some over pasta. So simple, it's not really even a recipe, but it was a good combo of stuff that I had.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2017, 11:22:34 AM »
Here's something easy and good I made the other day -- I had a pound of sausage (seasoned ground pork, not in links) that was quite spicy. I browned it all, and then added northern white beans and sauteed bok choy. It was really good on its own, DH had some over pasta. So simple, it's not really even a recipe, but it was a good combo of stuff that I had.

I'd do that with escarole.
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline Noley

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2017, 03:54:41 PM »
Whoever came up with cauliflower rice is absolutely brilliant!  I had it with chicken breast today and it was pure heaven.  I almost felt guilty eating it.  Almost!!!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2017, 04:01:40 PM »
Whoever came up with cauliflower rice is absolutely brilliant!  I had it with chicken breast today and it was pure heaven.  I almost felt guilty eating it.  Almost!!!
  :heartbeat:

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2017, 08:30:07 AM »
I agree that it's good, but if you want to eat the calorie number of rice, you need a lot more cauliflower.

Offline Honey Badger

• The Runners
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2017, 06:14:54 PM »
I'm loving the roasted cauliflower Bonita posted somewhere here in the FF. I make what I think is a big batch, enough for two meals, then it never is! So yummy and better for me than layering it in cheese to give it flavor.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2017, 09:35:26 PM »
I'm loving the roasted cauliflower Bonita posted somewhere here in the FF. I make what I think is a big batch, enough for two meals, then it never is! So yummy and better for me than layering it in cheese to give it flavor.
No matter how much I make there is never any left over!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2017, 12:32:47 AM »
No matter how much I make there is never any left over!

Which recipe are we talking about?

+-SUPPORT US