Author Topic: Camping food  (Read 29755 times)

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Re: Camping food
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2016, 10:06:32 PM »
that's quite a big difference!  We ended up buying a Coleman Xtreme for our trip and were VERY pleased.  It held the cold in so well that when I followed the advice above to bring frozen coffee that would warm to iced coffee, it did not.  I had to heat my slushied coffee to drink coffee.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2016, 11:30:18 AM »
that's quite a big difference!  We ended up buying a Coleman Xtreme for our trip and were VERY pleased.  It held the cold in so well that when I followed the advice above to bring frozen coffee that would warm to iced coffee, it did not.  I had to heat my slushied coffee to drink coffee.

Oh man! We usually have the iced coffee on the 2nd or 3rd day...

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2016, 11:49:00 AM »
I wish I'd noted the brand of the one we rented in Utah. I was pretty impressed. It was the giant size and we started out by putting 8 blocks of ice in it to precool it. But the next day the blocks of ice were still in good condition so we just stacked our stuff on top of them. Granted-- we had a cooler that was WAY bigger than we needed and we weren't in and out of it all that much (usually 2x/day) but we were in the desert and it was sitting in the back of the pick-up on a black liner Saturday through Thursday and there were still ice block remnants from Saturday on Thursday. Two of the days it was sitting in direct 104 degree temps all day-- the rest of the time was more like upper 80's in the afternoon. But still-- pretty impressed. I read a lot about dry ice, layering, and other techniques that I might try out sometime. But we aren't really car-camp-for- a-week folks and I own two coolers. So, usually I have a sacrificial cooler for things like drinks and snacks and a "do not touch on penalty of death" cooler that contains spoilable foods that must stay cool.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2016, 12:14:29 PM »
I wish I'd noted the brand of the one we rented in Utah. I was pretty impressed. It was the giant size and we started out by putting 8 blocks of ice in it to precool it. But the next day the blocks of ice were still in good condition so we just stacked our stuff on top of them. Granted-- we had a cooler that was WAY bigger than we needed and we weren't in and out of it all that much (usually 2x/day) but we were in the desert and it was sitting in the back of the pick-up on a black liner Saturday through Thursday and there were still ice block remnants from Saturday on Thursday. Two of the days it was sitting in direct 104 degree temps all day-- the rest of the time was more like upper 80's in the afternoon. But still-- pretty impressed. I read a lot about dry ice, layering, and other techniques that I might try out sometime. But we aren't really car-camp-for- a-week folks and I own two coolers. So, usually I have a sacrificial cooler for things like drinks and snacks and a "do not touch on penalty of death" cooler that contains spoilable foods that must stay cool.

Yes!!!! Opening the food cooler off limits entirely to my kids, they will stand there with the damn thing open for five minutes just shuffling around in it otherwise.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2016, 08:25:02 PM »
OMG yes!!! 

And it was totally fine, Bonita.  It was the second day for us, too.  I had a cold-but-unfrozen coffee for the first day.  Plus we were not far from civilization and had to go pick up something the morning of the first day so we ended up getting lattes while we were out.  roughing it. ;)
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2016, 09:40:17 PM »
Any recs for a camp stove? We have a basic two burner Coleman and -- as I mentioned in my other camping thread -- it's kind of hard to really cook two things at once on it. I'm considering buy something a little higher end. Thoughts?

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2016, 02:25:41 PM »
A bunch of articles I read recommended the Camp Chef Everest.  And then I went to buy it and it was sold out everywhere so that kind of sold me on getting one.  :d  I actually had an issue where Backcountry had it showing in stock so I ordered that and a carry bag and then only the carry bag showed b/c it was, in fact, backordered there too.

We ended up borrowing a friend's camping stove (since ours didn't arrive on time) and they got the Everest back in stock on Amazon so I got it there.  Haven't used it yet but it's about the same size as the one we borrowed and I was cooking eggs and heating coffee at the same time on that.  REI has another Camp Chef model that's even larger and looks great, just pricier than we wanted.

The article that sold me:
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Camping-Stove-Reviews

a few more:
http://www.bestcampingstoves.com/
http://www.bestproducts.com/fitness/equipment/g1719/portable-camping-stoves/
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 02:28:30 PM by diablita »

Offline Knoxious

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2016, 10:06:56 AM »
Might want to check into recycling the small propane containers before you buy a propane stove.  I shelved a car camping stove and bought a white gas unit because I couldn't figure out how to get rid of those canisters safely.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2016, 10:47:11 AM »
Might want to check into recycling the small propane containers before you buy a propane stove.  I shelved a car camping stove and bought a white gas unit because I couldn't figure out how to get rid of those canisters safely.

We are actually considering doing what my brother does, which is just bringing a regular grill-sized propane tank on car camping expeditions. We wind up using so many of the smaller containers, which I dislike. I have to take a look and see what he's using to connect to the bigger tank.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2016, 11:25:47 AM »
the stove I bought offers an adapter that allows you to use the bigger tanks

Offline Honey Badger

• The Runners
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2016, 12:56:12 PM »
That's supposed to be a good alternative to the Yeti, but they're having production problems and just cut their warranty from 7 years to 90 days.  :O
Nope, they still have a 7 year warranty and a 90 day no hassle return policy.
Check the RTIC compare to Yeti tab.
But they are having production problems. I ordered mine in June and it is scheduled to ship in early September. If I really needed it soon, I'd have gone with something different.

Offline Rejaneration

• Passed on to another Brane
  • The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2016, 06:42:53 AM »
Reading with interest as I am headed off camping this weekend!
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2016, 08:33:30 AM »
Ooh, what are you planning, Jan?

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2016, 04:05:11 PM »
Any camping wine suggestions?  :D

Going away for a weekend with some ladies and some little kids in a pop-up trailer.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2016, 04:43:23 PM »

Going away for a weekend with some ladies and some little kids in a pop-up trailer.

I checked my copious notes from our last trip. Apparently, eight bottles = too many.

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2016, 05:11:20 PM »
I checked my copious notes from our last trip. Apparently, eight bottles = too many.

:D   Noted.

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2016, 07:50:58 AM »

pinot noir and valpolicella are reds that do well at a variety of temperatures including a bit chilly, so those are my go-to camping varieties

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2018, 07:34:57 PM »
I'm bumping this.  I need it for our first camping trip of the season -- LEAF (Lake Eden Arts Festival) festival car camping!  Hope it helps some of you too.

I'll add to it when we return.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2018, 11:33:10 PM »
What are you making?

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2018, 06:28:15 AM »
We're planning a potluck for Friday night.  I'm thinking I'll take hot dogs and soy sausage to cook over the fire (kids will love it) and sweet potato chili or a curry dish.  Someone from our group is bringing a big box of chicken from a beloved place in town.  Not sure about the rest.

There are food trucks galore at this thing.  (And a kettle corn stand that serves ginormous bags of corn that the adults always end up with after the kids buy it and can't make a dent.)  But we tire of their food and it's always $$$.  So starting off Friday night with a potluck seems like a good idea.  We've also told the men they're in charge of handling Sunday brunch somehow for mother's day.  I'm bringing little cans of cuvee and juices for mimosas but they'll have to work out the food.  This will probably involve someone driving off campus which is totally fine with us.  I'm betting breakfast will be scattered, smothered and covered.  ;)

+-SUPPORT US