Author Topic: Summer salads  (Read 12297 times)

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: Summer salads
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2016, 07:45:52 AM »
I think they should be called zucchinoodles.

Zoodles is already taken.

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2016, 11:47:04 AM »
Raw zNoodles do bad, bad things to my GI. I like them better cooked, like pasta, with oil & garlic or some kind of sauce.

My favorite salad that I make every week lately is broccoli salad. There are variations, the last one I made had broccoli, sliced scallions, currants, pistachios, and chopped bacon, with a dressing of a little avocado oil mayo & red wine vinegar. Eta, i think there is a thread about broccoli salad here.

I wish I had the ambition to make fancy salads with seafood and berries. My usual salad is romaine and or spinach with tomatoes, carrots, olives, and some protein. Usually chicken + chopped egg, tuna + chopped egg, or anchovies + chopped egg.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2016, 11:48:44 AM »
yesterday, it was
greens
fresh corn
bell pepper
red onion
zucchini
and thousand island dressing

served with seeded bread

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2016, 01:43:58 PM »
Yeah, I don't use mason jars or layer strictly. But I do put beans or grain on the bottom and lettuce or cheese on top.

Offline glwestcott

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
Summer salads
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2016, 11:21:32 PM »
With Dungeness crab tonight - chickpea, avocado, green onion, feta, cilantro, and fresh lime juice salad. OMG. Best accompaniment I've ever had to fresh crab.  A few glasses of a good champagne and some asparagus, pasta, and fresh basil pesto rounded out Mother's Day dinner. Was really good!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 11:30:36 PM by glwestcott »

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2016, 11:30:45 PM »
Whatever mushy Brussels sprout salad that was served at brunch today, not that.  Not even the dried cranberries redeemed it.

(On the other hand, not a salad, but had amazing fried Brussels sprouts last night at a different place with a kalamata mayo that we will be trying to make at home soon.)
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2016, 01:55:57 PM »
I made salad of tomatoes, cucumbers, feta, mint, scallions, olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper.  The recipe sounded good but the result was meh. 
La madre degli imbecilli รจ sempre incinta.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Summer salads
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2016, 08:03:19 PM »
I made a salad I'm planning to bring for lunch this week -- it's just a bunch of stuff I had in the fridge/pantry.

I had a lemon/herb israeli couscous mix from whole foods, so I made that. Then I chopped up some grilled chicken sausages left over from the other night. I had a big bag of spinach from the farm, so I sauteed that briefly with a bunch of garlic and chopped it up. And then I had some fresh mushrooms so I chopped and sauteed those with Penzey's Balti seasoning.

I sprinkled feta on top after I took the pic.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 08:05:46 PM by BonitaApplebum »

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2016, 09:52:51 PM »
This popped up in my fb feed and I had some broccoli that needed using, so it's currently getting delicious on my counter.  I'll let you know how it turns out

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016146-broccoli-salad-with-garlic-and-sesame

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2016, 10:07:00 PM »
sounds delicious.  please report back.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2016, 10:34:59 PM »
Ok, it's been melding for about 90 minutes and I have to say that I'm a little worried about eating the whole bowl tonight. It manages to hit that salty/sour/savory note that something like potato chips hits for me. (I mean, it's broccoli salad, so temper your expectations!) This will be a regular in rotation around here.I worried that the vinegar might be not enough but the recipe worked out perfectly as written (don't skimp on the 1 tsp salt!). This is one of those recipes that looks a little weird on paper but is way more than the sum of its parts. I've probably overhyped it by now.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2016, 10:37:35 PM »
I know exactly what you mean about the salty/sour/savory note; I'd rather have that then a sweet dessert.  Exactly why I ate so much shakshuka tonight and had to add some feta.

I'm probably going to make it for a friend's grillout on Sunday, now.  I'm always begged to bring (fish) ceviche; I think I'll bring broccoli ceviche this time instead.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2016, 10:49:44 PM »
I think it'll be a hit! Some of the reviews say it's too much oil but I didn't think so. I calls for 2 lbs of crowns which is 2 of the biggest heads you can find so I think some people didn't use enough broccoli. 

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2016, 11:00:59 PM »
I can't imagine that not being good! I will definitely try it!!

Offline glwestcott

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2016, 01:11:45 AM »
This tomato watermelon feta salad is really different and refreshing: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Tomato-Watermelon-Salad-with-Feta-and-Toasted-Almonds-235588

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2016, 08:28:20 AM »
That broccoli salad recipe looks good, I will have to make that! Broccoli is dangerous for me, I will eat a lot of it at a time if it is in a delicious salad, or even just steamed with bagna cauda poured over it. Makes the next day ... productive.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2016, 12:49:51 PM »
Love watermelon feta salad. Good call!

I love broccoli too. It's a good pasta sub for me-- steamed or roasted with tomato sauce, white beans, sausage, and cheese is a favorite

Offline RFS

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2016, 06:49:18 PM »
Monte Marte (Mo-mar):
1 C. Cooked french lentils- chilled
1/4 C minced red onion
1/4 C chopped cilantro
1/4 C finely chopped cucumber
1/4 C chopped tomatoes
3T Soy sauce
3T Lemon Juice
1/2 C good olive oil
3 Oz smoked salmon (Lox)
4 C. mixed baby greens

Mix lentils, onions, cilantro cucumber & tomatoes. Whisk soy sauce, lemon juice and olive oil. A couple good heavy grinds of pepper are also good. Add to chopped veg mixture and stir to combine.
Divide lettuce on two plates and spoon lentil mixture over greens. Drape with velvety slices of smoked salmon. Oh, and pour a large glass of a crispy white wine and add a good hunk of bread. So good!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 06:52:08 PM by RFS »

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2016, 10:41:34 AM »
Well, I made the broccoli salad... I was kind of disappointed!  To me it seemed kind of bland.

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

Summer salads
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2017, 03:55:08 PM »
Hey, why not resurrect this thread? Seems like a good time to do so (since Texas is already in the 80s here.)

Broccoli, Tomato, Feta and Hazelnut Salad

I'm mildly obsessed with this salad I had at Avoca when I was in Ireland earlier this year.  When I got back I found every Avoca cookbook on Amazon (used books, so much cheaper!) and bought them all.

I got the ingredients and general instructions from https://100cookbooks.wordpress.com/2012/10/08/broccoli-tomato-feta-and-hazelnut-salad-avoca-cafe-cookbook, this is true to the cookbook:

Ingredients

110 g/4 oz. hazelnuts, shelled, with brown husk attached
400 g/14 oz. (or one large head broccoli) broccoli florets (bite-sized)
110 g/4 oz. good-quality feta cheese, cut into bite-sized cubes
225 g/8 oz. cherry tomatoes, washed and halved
200 ml/7 fl. oz French Dressing

Instructions

Preheat the oven 180 degrees C, gas mark 4. (I used 375 F)

Toast the hazel nuts in the oven spread out on a baking sheet, for about 5-10 minutes. Be careful to check them at the end because they can burn very quickly. Once they are done, tip them into a clean tea towel and rub them vigourously to take off the skins (this step is entirely optional if you don’t mind the skins, but toasting the hazelnuts gives a creamier flavor than when added raw). Let the hazelnuts cool.
(I read somewhere to wrap them in the tea towel and steam for 5 a 10 minutes to help the skins loosen, so I did that.)

Optional just barely blanch broccoli (I did this by pouring boiling water over broccoli, draining immediately and rinsing with cold water)
(I did not do this. The dressing helps soften the broccoli up and takes the raw edge off it, especially if you let the salad sit for hours or a day, whatever.)

Gently toss all the ingredients together in a large bowl until everything is coated with the dressing, season with pepper and serve.

This salad keeps very well covered in the fridge for about three days, and is an excellent idea for a picnic

French Dressing

There are many French dressing recipes on the internet inspired by the Avoca one, using one to three different oils, but since I wanted to just use olive oil, I adapted the recipe myself.

Blend (stick blender, whisk, or shake in mason jar, whatever works for you):

150 ml olive oil
50 ml red wine vinegar
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp coarse grain mustard
1 minced garlic clove
Salt & pepper to taste

You can go crazy and adjust the ingredients to your taste!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 03:59:38 PM by Dagstag v 2.0 »

+-SUPPORT US