Author Topic: What is affecting my running?  (Read 8164 times)

Offline lpr715

• Just Getting Started
What is affecting my running?
« on: September 29, 2015, 06:38:47 PM »
So first off, I'm a slow runner to begin with.  I'm a Junior in high school and this is my second year running XC.  For some reason, I'm having worse times this year than I did last year.  I didn't wear spikes at any of my meets (5Ks) last year but have this year.  I have a weight lifting class every other day whereas last year, I didn't lift at all.  What could be affecting my running?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
Re: What is affecting my running?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 08:17:50 PM »
I think we need far more information than this...  What do you call slow?  How often do you run?  Do you have a coach?  etc.

Offline lpr715

• Just Getting Started
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 09:08:58 PM »
I think we need far more information than this...  What do you call slow?  How often do you run?  Do you have a coach?  etc.
My 5k PR last year was 25:56 this year it's been 27:02.  I run 5-6 times a week (both training runs, speed workouts, and meets), I do have a coach, I run an average of 5 miles for training runs, I don't do squat during weights but I do hang clean (my PR is 160lbs).

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 09:30:26 PM »
My 5k PR last year was 25:56 this year it's been 27:02.  I run 5-6 times a week (both training runs, speed workouts, and meets), I do have a coach, I run an average of 5 miles for training runs, I don't do squat during weights but I do hang clean (my PR is 160lbs).

Growing pains I imagine.  Any change in height or weight between last year and this year?

Offline lpr715

• Just Getting Started
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 09:34:03 PM »
Growing pains I imagine.  Any change in height or weight between last year and this year?
From this time of year last year to now, I've grown about 3/4in-1in in height and I'm about 2-3 lbs heavier.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 09:51:57 PM »
From this time of year last year to now, I've grown about 3/4in-1in in height and I'm about 2-3 lbs heavier.

Then I think we can eliminate a growth spurt as the culprit.  Next up would be considering exactly how you are training for the 5k distance.  You mention speed work, steady state training runs, and meets.  What kind of speed work do you do and how often?  Are you doing any hills?  Also, it's generally useful to consider any recent changes you have made whenever you are trying to diagnose any problem.  So the spikes?  Lose them next race and see if there is any improvement.

Offline lpr715

• Just Getting Started
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 10:01:14 PM »
Then I think we can eliminate a growth spurt as the culprit.  Next up would be considering exactly how you are training for the 5k distance.  You mention speed work, steady state training runs, and meets.  What kind of speed work do you do and how often?  Are you doing any hills?  Also, it's generally useful to consider any recent changes you have made whenever you are trying to diagnose any problem.  So the spikes?  Lose them next race and see if there is any improvement.
Monday's I have long runs (60-70 minutes), Tuesdays and Wednsdays are speed days.  I do fartleks(40sec hard, 20sec easy, 40sec hard, three minute rest, then repeat 6 more times.  Or a ladder: 10sec hard, 10sec easy, 20sec hard, 20sec easy, all the way up to 80sec then back down.), short tempo runs(2x10min tempo, 20min tempo), I've done hills a couple times(40min run, but accelerating hard on hills, 3x10 300m hills).  I have after school meetings some Thurdays and aren't able to go to practice but it's usually an easy 30-40 minutes and same with Fridays.  Then Saturdays are meet days.  And as far as the spikes, I was planning on not wearing them my next meet.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 10:51:43 PM »
Monday's I have long runs (60-70 minutes), Tuesdays and Wednsdays are speed days.  I do fartleks(40sec hard, 20sec easy, 40sec hard, three minute rest, then repeat 6 more times.  Or a ladder: 10sec hard, 10sec easy, 20sec hard, 20sec easy, all the way up to 80sec then back down.), short tempo runs(2x10min tempo, 20min tempo), I've done hills a couple times(40min run, but accelerating hard on hills, 3x10 300m hills).  I have after school meetings some Thurdays and aren't able to go to practice but it's usually an easy 30-40 minutes and same with Fridays.  Then Saturdays are meet days.  And as far as the spikes, I was planning on not wearing them my next meet.

That all sounds pretty good.  FWIW, hill work was what finally pushed me into the competitive zone in xc, which is why I asked about it.  Keep us posted on how you do without spikes. 

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 08:46:10 AM »
Did you run spring track?  What did you do in the summer?  When you do speed workouts two day in succession, how hard are they?  Are you tired on the second day?
When you race, are you able to run negative splits? If you don't wear spikes in your next race, what  type of shoe will you wear?  How do you feel the day after a race?
Do you have a comprehensive plan for your races?

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 07:00:24 PM »
Any new girlfriends?

Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline lpr715

• Just Getting Started
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 07:55:59 PM »

Did you run spring track?  What did you do in the summer?  When you do speed workouts two day in succession, how hard are they?  Are you tired on the second day?
When you race, are you able to run negative splits? If you don't wear spikes in your next race, what  type of shoe will you wear?  How do you feel the day after a

I did track for the first time last spring and I pole vaulted.  Some speed workouts are harder than others.  I'm not extremely tired on the second day.  I was able to run negative splits my first race that was a 2.1 mile race.  I ran a 16:03 with is about a 7:38 mile.  I run in Nike Free 5.0.  After a race I may be a little stiff but that's it.  After my first race though I was pretty sore.

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 03:37:36 PM »

Some speed workouts are harder than others.  I'm not extremely tired on the second day. 

When doing speed workouts, you have to be very judicious with the effort.  If the workout is too anorexic, then the recovery is much longer.  Sometimes it shows up two days after a workout.  Also, for the times you are running, very hard workouts won't help you.  You would accomplish the most with a weekly tempo run.

Interestingly, when my daughter was in high school, she didn't do any speed workouts until October.  Then she dropped her 10 mile run and did one controlled speed workout a week.  For indoor track, she didn't do any speed workouts.

I guess you didn't run in the summer.

Offline lpr715

• Just Getting Started
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 06:00:19 PM »
When doing speed workouts, you have to be very judicious with the effort.  If the workout is too anorexic, then the recovery is much longer.  Sometimes it shows up two days after a workout.  Also, for the times you are running, very hard workouts won't help you.  You would accomplish the most with a weekly tempo run.

Interestingly, when my daughter was in high school, she didn't do any speed workouts until October.  Then she dropped her 10 mile run and did one controlled speed workout a week.  For indoor track, she didn't do any speed workouts.

I guess you didn't run in the summer.
I did run in the summer...

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 07:29:28 PM »
Are you male or female?

Offline lpr715

• Just Getting Started
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 10:47:36 PM »
Are you male or female?
Male

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 10:23:18 AM »
I don't know how to help you; but  perhaps you should slow down your fast stuff and work a little harder on your distance runs.  Also make sure everything you do is "negative split".

Offline CheryG

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 05:30:25 PM »
I don't think I can really help either, but my gut feeling is that you're tired. I'd rest totally on Thursday, do an EASY 20 minutes Friday just to loosen up, then race Sat. 

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 05:50:40 PM »
I'd rest totally on Thursday, do an EASY 20 minutes Friday just to loosen up, then race Sat. 

This is pretty good advice.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 06:30:17 PM by Richard21142 »

+-SUPPORT US