Author Topic: Boston Marathon: $180  (Read 13455 times)

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
Re: Boston Marathon: $180
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2015, 07:11:18 AM »
Medals: The only worthwhile ones are the ones that are also bottle openers

Ironically, I have yet to acquire one [I do have an Oddyssey HM one, but it sucks, and you can see why]

I have never seen medals as bottle openers, and I never use bottle openers.

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2015, 10:03:06 AM »
Race fees are obscene, mostly due to security and police details. The trail races are so much cheaper since they don't need that, which is great. I like when the race gives you an option to purchase the shirt for an extra $10, they're usually decent shirts. I have several bottle opener medals as well, but never use them either. I used to hang mine on doorknobs and they jangled every time I opened or closed a door, which was super annoying. I picked up a (free) over the door rack from one of my neighboors and it has 8 arms to it, so now all of the medals are in one place and there is less jangling.

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2015, 11:01:11 AM »
MEDALSMEDALSMEDALS! We hang the ones obtained during the year on our christmas tree  :smokin:

I like this idea.  The only running item on our tree is a jogging Santa. 

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2015, 04:28:12 PM »

FWIW: I was in TJMaxx over the weekend and saw the 2015 Boston Marathon jacket, by adidas, for $39.99.
I have a Boston marathon tank top from a few years ago that I bought there, too.

Buying and wearing that jacket seems like an overt way of asking for the super bad running karma shitmitten to reach up and slap you so hard you tear both achilles tendons right in two. 

Belgian Lace

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2015, 06:49:41 PM »
Buying and wearing that jacket seems like an overt way of asking for the super bad running karma shitmitten to reach up and slap you so hard you tear both achilles tendons right in two.
Th1s

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2015, 11:00:54 AM »

Th1s
Yup! Even in the years that I did it, I wouldn't wear any of the gear until after the race. Some people would wear the jacket during training etc if they bought it early, but I just couldn't do that.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2015, 07:19:24 AM »
I do not believe in any such bad karma.  It was a nice jacket, but I don't need it.  And I bought a tank top from a marathon I did not run, and I haven't had any bad karma yet, unless that explains why I am slowing down in old age...

DH wears plenty of shirts from races that he never ran.  Many of his shirts are shirts from races that I ran, but where there was only a "unisex" (i.e., men's) shirt. 

We are just not purists.

Offline MoCo

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
  • la la la
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2015, 02:08:28 PM »
I have that lobster claw medal hanging on my desk. 

FYI, that $180 is for time-qualified Boston entries.  They sock the time-waived numbers with a much higher entry fee (I think last year was around $300).
I prefer thoughtful, long form written journalism.   Or memes.

+-SUPPORT US