Author Topic: What do you bring to a gathering?  (Read 13198 times)

Offline oblio

• The Runners
What do you bring to a gathering?
« on: December 30, 2014, 03:37:27 PM »
When friends or family are getting together and you bring something to contribute, what is your go-to? Deviled eggs? Dip? Pasta Salad? Veggie tray? I'm always trying to think of something that won't end up a repeat and will be a crowd pleaser. I'd love some new ideas!

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
Re: What do you bring to a gathering?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 03:57:53 PM »
stromboli
enchiladas
pie
some kind of cookie

a lot depends on the host

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 04:10:01 PM »
I make a brown rice salad that everyone loves. Hot spinach and artichoke dips are always a crowd pleaser, esp with bread and pita chips :D
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 05:13:30 PM »
I generally bring the paper products :)  Seriously though, I try to mix it up if only to keep myself from getting bored.  Who wants to be type-cast as the corn chowder guy, or the spatchcocked chicken guy, or whatever?  The last time I took food somewhere, it was this queso dip with chorizo that someone here (Natasha?) recommended.  It was great, and there are now people who would be happy to see me settle for being the queso with chorizo guy.  Nuh uh, I still have a few more tricks up my sleeve. 

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 05:37:20 PM »
The boyfriend almost always brings a cream cheese and chorizo and rotel (and spices) dip to things.  Leftovers are good on pizza or in quiche.
He has also brought dark chocolate chip cookies made with cayenne and milk stout. 

I bring baked macaroni and cheese to things sometimes.  Or a quiche.  But often, I just pick up something pre-prepared at the store on the way.  I have also brought squash casserole; asparagus with red wine, garlic and raisins (as a side dish, not a snack food); chocolate chip cookies baked from a tube; margarita key lime pie; spinach and pear salad; a pasta salad with sun-dried tomatoes, kalamata olives, feta and other good stuff...
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

siamesedream

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 05:40:52 PM »
The boyfriend almost always brings a cream cheese and chorizo and rotel (and spices) dip to things.  Leftovers are good on pizza or in quiche.
He has also brought dark chocolate chip cookies made with cayenne and milk stout. 

I bring baked macaroni and cheese to things sometimes.  Or a quiche.  at the storBut often, I just pick up something pre-prepared e on the way.  I have also brought squash casserole; asparagus with red wine, garlic and raisins (as a side dish, not a snack food); chocolate chip cookies baked from a tube; margarita key lime pie; spinach and pear salad; a pasta salad with sun-dried tomatoes, kalamata olives, feta and other good stuff...

Yup.

Online Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 05:47:07 PM »
My sword. THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 10:36:28 PM »
:)

bourekas!  They're not available in Asheville and all of our friends love them.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 11:24:05 AM »
It depends on the event/host.

I often have higher aspirations than I have time to pull off.

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 11:41:01 AM »
My go to is chicken wings. Bake at low heat with equal parts red wine, sugar and soy sauce (1c each for a 9x13 pan). Totally simple to make and they are always a huge hit.

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 01:20:14 PM »
I am most often the cookie girl.

My BF often brings a carmelized onion dip.

Offline srsly

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 01:33:15 PM »
I generally bring the paper products :)  Seriously though, I try to mix it up if only to keep myself from getting bored.  Who wants to be type-cast as the corn chowder guy, or the spatchcocked chicken guy, or whatever?  The last time I took food somewhere, it was this queso dip with chorizo that someone here (Natasha?) recommended.  It was great, and there are now people who would be happy to see me settle for being the queso with chorizo guy.  Nuh uh, I still have a few more tricks up my sleeve. 

I am looking for this recipe in this forum and have had no luck. Can anyone help out? I'm making this tonight for my one-person NYE party. Natasha??
It ain't a party til mags shows up. -wonderwoman

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 02:22:36 PM »
I am looking for this recipe in this forum and have had no luck. Can anyone help out? I'm making this tonight for my one-person NYE party. Natasha??

Yes, it's on epicurious.  Here it is:  http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Creamy-Queso-with-Chorizo-51214850

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 02:43:09 PM »

Fly to seattle! We can celebrate together.

Offline srsly

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2014, 09:49:20 PM »
Yes, it's on epicurious.  Here it is:  http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Creamy-Queso-with-Chorizo-51214850

Thanks, radial! I couldn't find any velveeta cheese at the commissary so I had to get by without it. But my queso turned gummy and won't blend smoothly with the half and half. I scooped out the gummy stuff and used it as dip. Tasted pretty good and after it cooled, it lost its gummy texture.

Fly to seattle! We can celebrate together.

I wish! I'm sitting here alone in the new house reading my new Totelenghi (sp) cookbook drinking lots of wine. Happy New Year!
It ain't a party til mags shows up. -wonderwoman

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2014, 09:55:57 PM »
Thanks, radial! I couldn't find any velveeta cheese at the commissary so I had to get by without it. But my queso turned gummy and won't blend smoothly with the half and half. I scooped out the gummy stuff and used it as dip. Tasted pretty good and after it cooled, it lost its gummy texture.

I subbed for some of the other cheeses in that recipe and it didn't seem to matter.  But I don't think you can make queso without velveeta :D.  Nasty stuff by itself, but Velveeta is the heart and soul of cheese dips.  Sounds like it turned out okay anyway, so that's good.  Happy New Year!

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2015, 09:04:10 AM »
Recently I've been a kind of an inside out pasta salad for the more casual type gatherings.  Basically I take tons of peppers and onions and olives and pickled peppers and carrots and celery and cauliflower and onions, etc... whatever you put in your pasta salad that isn't pasta... and pulse it all down a bit and add some homemade dressing.  Then I take giant pasta shells and stuff them.  It works well as finger food.  Everybody says they love it.   
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2015, 12:15:26 PM »
I bring various things but salads and quick breads are my standards.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 03:21:47 PM »
I like to bring cookies or some other type of dessert.  That way I get to bake but I don't have to eat it all myself. 

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2015, 07:39:58 AM »
I treat potluck like a competitive sport, so what I bring depends on a lot of factors including what I brought last time, who else will be there, what they brought last time...

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2015, 09:47:31 AM »
I treat potluck like a competitive sport, so what I bring depends on a lot of factors including what I brought last time, who else will be there, what they brought last time...
me too.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2015, 09:58:16 AM »
Mujaderra is a good one because it is delicious hot or cold and it fits so many diets: gluten free, vegan, no dairy, no nuts etc.  It is not the prettiest though. 
Because PANTS

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2015, 10:27:31 PM »
My sword. THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

:roll:

Offline OldBaldHippie

• Onward through the fog...
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2015, 11:37:16 PM »
Jambalaya

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
searching for that lost shaker of salt...

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2015, 02:26:14 PM »
We brought Girl Scout cookies and wine to the last one.  I don't know how people manage to cook things to bring to a potluck at 6 pm on a Friday.  The boyfriend picked me up from work at 5:30 and just brought what he'd scrounged from his kitchen.  On a Saturday night, we do MUCH better.

Offline monster2

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2015, 10:15:49 PM »
Seven later dip, or if it fits the menu I will assemble spudini bread.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2015, 03:52:17 PM »
well, most recently it was a delicious fruit-laden bread (i am a god - this stuff was so delicious, and relatively easy to bake) and some marvelously stinky cheese to spread on it.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2015, 09:29:27 PM »
 :)
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Beer Gut

• Help me, I'm melting....
  • Reduce; Re-use; Recycle
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2015, 03:08:11 AM »
My kids.
I could be completely wrong about this.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2015, 11:59:28 AM »
Most recent was a pimento cheese with bourbon, cumin and ancho chili powder.

+-SUPPORT US