Author Topic: Sourdough  (Read 58922 times)

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Re: Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2019, 06:27:19 AM »
Ha!  I would too.  I'd love to visit KA and run a long run with CheryG.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2019, 01:07:33 PM »
Here was my effort last night for rolls. Some sprung nicely and others not so much.They spread out a lot during the final rise so I suspect that being so close to eachother was part of the issue. My dad said maybe I didn't mix enough, or that they didn't rise long enough before they went in the fridge.

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2019, 01:19:14 PM »
I almost bought KA bread flour yesterday because of this thread. But, it was $12/5lbs vs $6/5lb like I normally pay. We ended up eating all 8 rolls I made in the last batch and I made a batch of these to go with soup last night. I need to stop. We can't eat this much bread!

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/soft-wrap-bread-recipe

Picote-- how did those rolls turn out?

Rolls were amazing. I'm thinking we may just make up a batch of these at the start of the week. ETA that I just put two in the oven for lunch now! :)

My second loaf of rye turned out great, but quality went downhill fast. Going to try again and try to be better about how we care for it. Definitely speaks to the preservatives in bread!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 01:30:52 PM by picote »

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2019, 01:35:56 PM »
Here was my effort last night for rolls. Some sprung nicely and others not so much.They spread out a lot during the final rise so I suspect that being so close to eachother was part of the issue. My dad said maybe I didn't mix enough, or that they didn't rise long enough before they went in the fridge.

Those are beautiful! I need to get some seed mixes :)

Is this the recipe you posted or is the the complicated one?

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2019, 02:17:20 PM »
you know how you have to sometimes discard starter when you feed it? this is a fantastic recipe to use that discard instead of throwing it out:

http://bintrhodaskitchen.blogspot.com/2013/04/zait-and-zaatar-sourdough-crackers.html

I substitute all sorts of varying things for the zaatar.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2019, 02:17:36 PM »
They look amazing RA!
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2019, 03:20:00 PM »
Those are the complicated ones. You brush them with egg (or in that case I used buttermilk) because the long ferment uses up all the sugar that would normally brown. I just used TJ's everything bagel seasoning.  :!:

Picote- -if you want your soft bread to last longer you could try converting it to a scalded style recipe. Which I just find so  fascinating.

http://theryebaker.com/on-scalds-and-scalding/

https://blog.kingarthurflour.com/2018/07/23/how-to-convert-a-bread-recipe-to-tangzhong/

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2019, 03:43:54 PM »
scalds.  oh, all i can think of is anadama bread.  so delicious.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2019, 01:13:37 PM »
Ha!  I would too.  I'd love to visit KA and run a long run with CheryG.

Come run the VT50k!!!

Offline CheryG

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2019, 01:17:26 PM »

Gorgeous!!!
I made waffles this morning with the discard and am about to put a boule in the oven.  Last week's boule was tasty an OK, but I want more of that extravagant oven spring- I had the dough less hydrated than I would for a boule and it was a little underproofed.  Hoping for better results with this one.  I meed a banneton.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2019, 02:04:25 PM »
Grrr.  Nope, perfection not to be had.  My house is so dry! Just within the last proof, most of that in the oven with a steamy mug of water, it absolutely crusted to the point of cracking when I slit it before baking.  Ooops!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2019, 02:40:08 PM »
Do you find your sourdough last longer? I am excited to try it just for the prospect the rolls lasting more than 1 day!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2019, 06:54:36 PM »
Come run the VT50k!!!

Are you running it this year?

Offline CheryG

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2019, 07:09:07 AM »
Do you find your sourdough last longer? I am excited to try it just for the prospect the rolls lasting more than 1 day!

Definitely.  I always consider a flour/salt/water recipe an eat that day bread, and the starter changes that. The shelf life is more of a bread that has fat added.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2019, 07:11:40 AM »
Are you running it this year?

I haven't decided yet.  I'm definitely shooting for the Stonecat 50k, and am considering the VT50k, or any other trail marathon around that time frame of late Sept early to mid October.

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2019, 03:41:46 PM »
I haven't decided yet.  I'm definitely shooting for the Stonecat 50k, and am considering the VT50k, or any other trail marathon around that time frame of late Sept early to mid October.
Stone Cat is marathon distance or 50M. No 50K. I am planning on the marathon this year.
Have you looked at Pisgah it's in Sept - 23K or 50K. I run the 23K.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2019, 04:36:26 PM »
Stone Cat is marathon distance or 50M. No 50K. I am planning on the marathon this year.
Have you looked at Pisgah it's in Sept - 23K or 50K. I run the 23K.

They are changing stone cat for 2019 to a single 50k race.  Will you do it too?  I will check out Pisgah....

I used a mixing bowl as a cloche today and it knocked the whole steam portion of the bake out of the park.  I also kept the dough moist before baking.  Love the result, yay!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2019, 06:02:57 PM »
That's gorgeous Chery!  Will have to keep the races in mind for the fall :)

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2019, 07:32:15 PM »
Hey, I just came in here to start a sourdough thread!

Can you guys recommend a good starter recipe? I just want to make plain sourdough for sandwiches. No stand mixer, and I’ll be kneading by hand.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2019, 09:23:35 PM »
I basically used the King Arthur method, but to be honest I didn't really measure anything, I just eyeballed it.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sourdough-starter-recipe

+-SUPPORT US