Forum > General Fitness

Does anyone here swim?

(1/2) > >>

cindyleigh:
Today a started a "tub to 1 mile" challenge thing.  Kind of like couch to 5K.  The idea is to work up to swimming 1 mile continuously.  You start at 700 yards.

Today I swam a mile.  But not continuously.  I can't even swim 100 yards continuously.  So I swam laps taking a break every 25 yards, sometimes just for a few breaths and every 50 or so a bit longer.

What exactly is "continuously"? 

Richard21142:

--- Quote from: cindyleigh on November 20, 2016, 10:48:19 PM ---What exactly is "continuously"? 
--- End quote ---

Without stopping!

cindyleigh:

--- Quote from: Richard21142 on November 21, 2016, 11:53:29 AM ---Without stopping!

--- End quote ---

Well...yabbut...I don't know how to do an underwater turn.

I can't imagine swimming for an hour without any kind of break. 

Richard21142:

--- Quote from: cindyleigh link=topic=111982.msg2727832#msg2727832 da

[/quote ---
You start with a distance that is comfortable.  When you adapt, you swim a little further, etc.

I wouldn't worry about flip turns.  Just touch the wall and turn around (this coming from a non swimmer).
--- End quote ---

cindyleigh:

--- Quote from: Richard21142 on November 22, 2016, 09:39:30 AM ---[quote author=cindyleigh link=topic=111982.msg2727832#msg2727832 da

You start with a distance that is comfortable.  When you adapt, you swim a little further, etc.

I wouldn't worry about flip turns.  Just touch the wall and turn around (this coming from a non swimmer).

--- End quote ---

Thanks Richard.

Today I swam 100 yards continuously!!!!  So, I think your advice is perfect ...just work up to it and don't worry about flip turns.  I tried to stay underwater when I reached the wall to keep myself from hanging too long.

I think I'll make swimming a 1/4 mile as my 6 week goal.  That is 4 100s ...I think that is doable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version