Author Topic: How long before my toe heals?  (Read 4258 times)

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
How long before my toe heals?
« on: August 14, 2014, 04:33:28 PM »
I broke my little toe approximately July 22.  When will it be better? I did do a TON of walking on it because my vacation was July 23- Aug 2 and you just can't go be a tourist without walking - sometimes 4 -6 miles in a day.  It was starting to feel better but has been sore again some this week.

The achilles tendonitis that flared up on the other side (due to guarding the toe) is also a work in progress.  A little stiff morning and evening, or if I have to do some walking.  But I've been fighting that on and off for 10 years.  And have nodules and stuff.  But I can more or less manage it up to get back into 5K shape.

Wondering when I can start running again.  I was only running  a mile.  But still.  I know it's not this week.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline fancypants

• The Runners
    • Unanswered Flurry
Re: How long before my toe heals?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 05:08:00 PM »
I think the general rule for a minor break is 6 weeks. Longer if you aggravate it.
I don't have time for laundry; I'm trying to have a great life.

http://herheiness.wordpress.com/

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 05:28:49 PM »
Crap.  Obviously I aggravated it.  But I went to f'ing Europe.  No way was I going to take it easy!  Sigh.

I am going tubing Saturday.  Hopefully not much walking between water and parking lots in my crappy ass surf shoes.  It is summer.  I do stuff.   :fiery:

Offline fancypants

• The Runners
    • Unanswered Flurry
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 07:11:51 PM »
You don't have to tell me!  I took off my knee brace and to the knee boot in Hawaii. Who the f--- needs that kind of tan line?  Of course, my knee still sucks and I have another stress fracture in my tibia. I think my fun summer is ruining my fun fall.
I don't have time for laundry; I'm trying to have a great life.

http://herheiness.wordpress.com/

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 07:40:09 PM »
I think the general rule for a minor break is 6 weeks. Longer if you aggravate it.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 09:39:20 PM »
Maybe you should go see a doctor? My friend thought she had a broken toe, but turns out it was a bone bruise.. Anyway, he gave her like a flat boot thing to wear... Not high, but very firm on the bottom and that helped the healing... She actually waited about 6 weeks to go to the doctor and went because six weeks in it was still no better

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 11:03:16 PM »
Just long enough for another crippling injury to flare up. 

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 01:34:37 PM »
My sister broke her toe a few days before you did.  She went to the doctor and he told her that running would not aggravate her particular break, and she was fine to run on it as long as she didn't change her gait.  She skipped the half marathon she was supposed to run later that week, but she's back to running a few times a week and says it doesn't really bother her as long as she wears supportive shoes.  I say go to the doctor and see what the diagnosis is.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 07:41:19 PM »
Oh, I'm totally not running while I still favor it walking.  I'm basically wearing Mary Jane sneakers or the equivalent thereof.  Because they have wider toe boxes, a slightly thicker sole, no heel, and a little arch support, and don't look completely terrible with skirts and dresses.  It's that or my running shoes.  Or a pair of sport sandals.  None of those have particularly firm soles, but platform heels are out.  (As are my Birks, whose uber firmness has always irritated the sesamoid bones at the base of that particular toe.)  My hiking boots are a little too narrow to feel good, so they are only worn for the lawn-mowing right now.

It's been a month, and I was on it a LOT for the 10 days after I broke it, so I wouldn't necessarily expect to be all hunky dory today and I don't think it's particularly worth getting x-rayed if it doesn't look funny.  Assuming it heals in some reasonable timeframe.

+-SUPPORT US