Author Topic: Ottolenghi Recipe Sharing  (Read 22359 times)

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Re: Ottolenghi Recipe Sharing
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2015, 08:28:10 PM »
I was wondering about his version versus the one I usually make which is easy. I think I'll wait to be invited to Caribougrrl's place to taste it. 
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2015, 06:26:53 PM »
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Black-Pepper-Tofu-365129

This one has become quite popular at our house and is a frequent request. It's so much work! I think I might double the veggies and freeze them this time around to just have on hand.

'Boo did you ever make the mujadra?

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2015, 08:01:32 PM »
This one has become quite popular at our house and is a frequent request. It's so much work! I think I might double the veggies and freeze them this time around to just have on hand.

not yet!

Offline junette

• Borderline
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2015, 09:40:55 PM »

I made it after reading this thread I didn't find the prep too cumbersome, but I was not a huge fan of the final product. It all sounded good on paper, but it I thought it was really over spiced. It seemed to have an almost gritty texture from all the ground spices. I'd like to try another mujadra recipe, or maybe tweak that one and try again.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2015, 06:44:28 AM »
Do you really use ALL that butter? my friend had the cookbook out in her kitchen and I flipped through it. Nothing I would make probably, but a beautiful book. She had another book that looked interesting and I picked up from the library.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline junette

• Borderline
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2015, 07:37:28 AM »

Do you really use ALL that butter? my friend had the cookbook out in her kitchen and I flipped through it. Nothing I would make probably, but a beautiful book. She had another book that looked interesting and I picked up from the library.
In the mujadra? I don't recall it having any butter, but I followed the recipe as written.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2015, 11:29:59 AM »
In the mujadra? I don't recall it having any butter, but I followed the recipe as written.
The pepper tofu. It has like 12 tbs of butter or 9? something crazy!
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2015, 11:36:44 AM »
Glad I'm not the only one who felt the mujadra was overly spiced. Normally it's pretty mild, and really tasty!

Yes, I use all 1.5 sticks of butter.  :D

Meh. I just can't get that worked up about it. I don't think fat is the enemy.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2015, 11:42:08 AM »
Glad I'm not the only one who felt the mujadra was overly spiced. Normally it's pretty mild, and really tasty!

Yes, I use all 1.5 sticks of butter.  :D

Meh. I just can't get that worked up about it. I don't think fat is the enemy.

I used all the butter too because I also can't get worked up about real fat.  I did find it rich enough that I got way more servings out of it than the recipe suggests, so there's that.  Also, it's labour intensive and although I know I will make it again, it won't be in regular rotation.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2015, 11:47:44 AM »
I used all the butter too because I also can't get worked up about real fat.  I did find it rich enough that I got way more servings out of it than the recipe suggests, so there's that.  Also, it's labour intensive and although I know I will make it again, it won't be in regular rotation.

Agreed-- it's very rich. I made it with noodles and added veggies. So, we easily get 8 servings out of it. It's a frequent request but I don't make it often because it's so much work. We had some extra servings of it kicking around the freezer though!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2015, 12:52:14 PM »
I do not care about fat, but the calories! LOL. But everything is better with butter.....

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2015, 12:56:28 PM »
Ottolenghi's recipes are definitely not "health food". :)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2015, 02:53:56 PM »
Ottolenghi's recipes are definitely not "health food". :)
WHich is why i perused my friend's and said, lovely book, no need for it in my kitchen :D

Offline orzabellle

• I prefer a flan
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2015, 07:44:31 PM »
The Chicken with Arak and fennel and tangerines is UNREAL.
Your all just jelouse - Tammy from Ticonderoga

Offline orzabellle

• I prefer a flan
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2015, 07:45:04 PM »
It's from 'Jerusalem'
Your all just jelouse - Tammy from Ticonderoga

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2016, 07:39:13 PM »
Bumping this thread because I'm making the black pepper tofu this week, after a long hiatus. Maybe I'll make the chickpea soup this weekend. I have some feta that needs using.

Anyone cooking ottolenghi lately?

I'm waiting for an opportunity to make the cauliflower cake again. BF is not a fan of cauliflower. I might be making brunch for his mom's bday on Saturday. If so, it's on the menu!

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2016, 08:17:25 PM »
Oh!  Thanks for bumping this thread.  It's cauliflower season and I'd forgotten I wanted to try the cake.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2016, 12:14:06 PM »
I had forgotten all about him!  Time to pull out the book.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2020, 04:40:51 PM »
This sauce in this recipe is totally addicting. I didnt have lemongrass or creme fraiche so I used plain greek yogurt and added in a really good curry powder I love with the ginger and lime zest/juice. It is ridiculously good on sweet potatoes but I've been drizzling it over everything. Yummy!

https://thefoodarchive.wordpress.com/2011/04/16/ottolenghis-sweet-potato-wedges-with-lemongrass-creme-fraiche/

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2020, 08:33:46 AM »
I'm planning to make shakshuka this week (and pita if I'm feeling ambitious) but may opt for something simpler than Ottolenghi's recipe

my better half has always been skeptical about shakshuka as a concept, so I only make it when she is away

a couple months ago I got home from work to find she was making the Ottelenghi recipe... we just happened to have all the ingredients, she happened across the recipe when poking around for ideas, and she figured the worst case scenario was that she'd confirm her instinct that there is something innately wrong with poaching eggs in a sauce... we have had shakshuka probably once ever couple of weeks since...  :d

oddly, I was skeptical about Ottelenghi's shakshuka because of the high volume to red pepper https://food52.com/recipes/65845-yotam-ottolenghi-s-shakshuka, but it was pretty good... I still prefer a higher tomato to pepper ratio

+-SUPPORT US