Author Topic: I am a gym-member-newbie : help!  (Read 5022 times)

Offline floridagal

• The Runners
I am a gym-member-newbie : help!
« on: September 16, 2017, 09:51:07 AM »
My new employer pays 50% up to some amount per year - so I joined LA Fitness. 

It's been a long time since I've been to the gym and I am somewhat scared/embarrassed/[fill in appropriate word here]/  because I am older now and out of shape.

I'll start with the treadmill - I think I have that cheesy couch-to-5k recording here somewhere....are there any other things I can download for treadmill workouts?

and tell me about yoga class-do they hate beginners?! 

I've tried spin class a long time ago and it just didn't agree with me somehow.

What else should I do?  any pointers for the ellipticals?  I imagine I'll need to shake things up to keep my interest.

I so want to lose 15 lbs!
If I've learned nothing else, it's that people are crazy.
--RioG

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
I am a gym-member-newbie : help!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 11:26:44 AM »
The thing to remember at the gym is that nobody really cares about your workout, they only care about their own. So unless you do something *really* over the top, like falling off the treadmill, you're just going to be background noise for everyone else. It's a hard concept to embrace, but very freeing.

Have fun! I like going to the gym, but haven't belonged to one in years due to scheduling/lifestyle stuff.

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
Re: I am a gym-member-newbie : help!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 03:06:05 PM »
...are there any other things I can download for treadmill workouts?

Since it has been a while since you "worked out", you have to establish what you can do comfortably.  It could be only a couple of tenths on the treadmill.  Determining your starting point should be your first goal.

Offline floridagal

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 08:43:36 AM »
I did 2 miles run/walking on the treadmill yesterday in 30 minutes. It was week 3 of couch to 5k.

It felt good to move again. What I like about the gym is not having weather be a factor. I have a couple walking buddies but they often don't want to walk because it's too hot to muggy too dark blah blah blah
--RioG

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 06:03:24 PM »
I did 2 miles run/walking on the treadmill yesterday in 30 minutes. It was week 3 of couch to 5k.

That's your starting point.  Build on that, based on the way you feel while on the treadmill and how you feel the next day.  Remember the couch to 5K is an example of a training plan;  but you can deviate from it as you develop insights into your own fitness. When my oldest daughter started running, I had a four year plan for her training.
It was necessary to constantly change it as more insights into her running developed.

Offline floridagal

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 06:31:53 PM »
I appreciate your insight.
--RioG

Offline MoCo

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
  • la la la
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 09:00:27 AM »
there are some good couch to 5K podcasts (podrunner is one) that build in the run walk intervals so you don't have to remember them/look at the clock.
I prefer thoughtful, long form written journalism.   Or memes.

Offline buzzy

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 11:38:00 AM »
The thing to remember at the gym is that nobody really cares about your workout, they only care about their own. So unless you do something *really* over the top, like falling off the treadmill, you're just going to be background noise for everyone else. It's a hard concept to embrace, but very freeing.

Have fun! I like going to the gym, but haven't belonged to one in years due to scheduling/lifestyle stuff.

To build on this...

I know the instructors want their classes to be popular, so I would guess would be very welcoming to beginners.  The one exception may be if you take a super advanced class where it is assumed that everyone has experience with a certain type of workout.  Not sure what this would be, but I'm sure there is someone you could ask.

--buzz

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 11:52:50 AM »
Yes, I enjoyn the podrunner couch25k. I have been using that one for like 10 years. He has some other interval style workouts on his website too. I don't think he supports it anymore so it's a little out of date in terms of technology.

I kind of hate working out in a regular gym because I just get bored and overwhelmed and kind of spin in circles. So, I usually get the most out of classes and the cardio room.

I'm short so I never feel like elipticals are the right stride for me. I do love me so me stairclimber though!

Offline TwistedFlax

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 12:58:20 PM »
Yoga has no problem with beginners.  Your level has literally zero impact on anyone else in the room, whether you’re a complete beginner or super advanced.  And yoga in particular is goofy in that it doesn’t have a linear progression—there are poses I can do no problem that some instructors struggle with, and other absolute basics (side plank) that my body absolutely will not allow.

I’d also advise trying a few different teachers/types.  It makes a huge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline monster2

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2018, 05:59:33 PM »
Ooh take bodyworks that is what I teach there! It's a dumbell class.

I like the bootcamps too but it really varies from instructor to instructor as far as how they are taught.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

+-SUPPORT US