Author Topic: Couscous tfaya  (Read 5018 times)

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
Couscous tfaya
« on: June 21, 2013, 09:48:13 AM »
Not the traditional couscous with meat and vegetables. This one is made with hen (I used chicken) and carmelized onions. I don't even like onions and I was fighting dh for them.

"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
Re: Couscous tfaya
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 10:02:25 AM »
You can't tease us like that without a recipe! I'm a sucker for caramelized onions and that looks delicious.
This space for rent.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 10:11:11 AM »
I meant to post the link, sorry! It seems like a lot of steps, but its really easy
http://cookingwithalia.com/index.php?option=com_zoo&task=item&item_id=165&Itemid=110

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 11:50:18 AM »
I think the hardest part would be the patience to really let those onions caramelize! And what is orange blossom water? Is that necessary? Otherwise, it looks do-able...I might have to try this sometime! It would be a departure from my usual style of cooking...but maybe a good one!
This space for rent.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 12:17:36 PM »
It took the exact amount of time for the onions to carmelize that she wrote in the recipe. I did not add the orange blossom water because I don't like it in food (just cookies). I added a tablespoon of water instead. And I forgot that I did not put all of that cinnamon in the onions, just one teaspoon. And I only used half of the sugar.

For the chicken, I just kept turning it in the liquid. You use that liquid to pour over the couscous (but don't make it too soggy). I gues it didn't seem to take that long for the onions because I was doing other things while they were cooking, I just remembered to stir every so often.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 12:19:57 PM »
Ok, good to know. I am determined to try this...maybe on Sunday, so I leave mr. cgraz with a nice leftover when I go away for work next week.
This space for rent.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 12:56:20 PM »
I told dh next time I'm just going to do chicken breasts instead of a whole chicken. We mainly eat breasts anyways. I did a small whole chicken this time.
I was thinking the chicken and onions alone would have been SO good on a crust baguette.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 01:18:01 PM »
i find carmelizing onions takes about 45-60 minutes and YES they shrivel up to NOTHING.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 02:21:03 PM »
i find carmelizing onions takes about 45-60 minutes and YES they shrivel up to NOTHING.

I used 5 big onions and used the mandolin to slice. I put the stove on medium low , medium on my stove is number 6, so I put it on 3. The bottom of the pot did start to scorch, but it was when they were pretty much done. And they didn't melt or dissolve. Just a big heap of camrelized goodness.

Offline gebuh

• The Runners
  • don't worry, I'm a doctor
    • cycle touring
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 07:16:53 PM »
this is definitely on my list. 

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 07:02:33 AM »
I also didn't have any blanched almonds, so I blanched them myself. Not sure if y'all knew this trick, but bring a pot of water to a boil, put the almonds in for exactly 60 seconds, drain and rinse under cool water to stop the cooking. The skins slip right off.

+-SUPPORT US