Author Topic: Using apple sauce instead of oil and mixing in veggies?  (Read 4322 times)

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
Using apple sauce instead of oil and mixing in veggies?
« on: November 28, 2012, 10:51:09 AM »
So I want to make some blueberry oatmeal muffins.  I want to make them a wee bit healthier so plan on substituting half of the oil with applesauce.  Since these are mostly for my daughter (who is 10 months and will hardly eat any veggies) I would like to add some veggies to the mix as well.  What I have been reading is that adding veggies to muffins gives them more moisture.  Wouldn't apple sauce do this, too?  Would using both apple sauce AND veggies really mess up the muffin?  Has anyone done both? Most of the recipes I find use one or the other. i have not found one that uses both (I also can't find anything that says not to use both.)  And for blueberry muffins, should I use zucchini or carrots?  I was leaning towards the zucchini. 

Also, since it will be mostly for my daughter, she has no idea what texture muffins should be, so maybe none of my questions above really make any difference unless I am throwing the chemistry off so much they are just nasty.

Offline teetime

• The Runners
Re: Using apple sauce instead of oil and mixing in veggies?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 11:14:43 AM »
This recipe for pumpkin applesauce muffins looks good and has only 1/4c oil for the entire recipe: http://www.theliveinkitchen.com/2011/11/14/pumpkin-applesauce-muffins/

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 12:16:36 PM »
Applesauce is fine instead of oil. Also pumpkin instead of oil. I would look for a zucchini muffin recipe and sub the applesauce for the oil, since the recipe is already balanced for the extra moisture in the zucchini.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline redkitty

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 02:54:59 PM »
This recipe for pumpkin applesauce muffins looks good and has only 1/4c oil for the entire recipe: http://www.theliveinkitchen.com/2011/11/14/pumpkin-applesauce-muffins/

Awesome thanks.  I will also look for a zucchini recipe.  I want to feed it to my daughter for breakfast. She is at the stage where she wants to feed herself, but cannot use utensils.  So for now regular oatmeal is out.  I want a relatively healthy muffin. 

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 05:20:22 PM »
I made the pineapple version of this recipe ALL the time when DD was little.  We called it Yummy Bread b/c neither she nor DH knew that I subbed in half applesauce and 1/3 whole wheat (of the total flour volume) into the recipe.  You could turn them into muffins as well I'm sure:

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/zucchini_bread/
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 07:08:42 AM »
pureed beets work really nicely in place of oil too... and make things pink, which is fun

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 11:28:14 AM »
I've used both applesauce and yogurt in place of oil in recipes like this, and both work fine...  My banana bread recipe calls for 1 stick of butter and I've used 1 container of yoplait instead, or a half cup of applesauce.

I've not tried veggies, but pureed anything should be ok.  If your batter looks too wet, you might want to add a tiny bit of flour?  Not sure, I tend to adjust things on the fly and it usually works out in stuff like muffins/quick breads. 

Offline redkitty

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 12:11:34 PM »
I really need to post in here more often since you guys know so much.  Thanks all. I will probably try to make the muffins this weekend.

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
Using apple sauce instead of oil and mixing in veggies?
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 06:51:53 PM »
Also reconstituted & puréed prunes.

+-SUPPORT US