Author Topic: I'm making shepherd's pie today  (Read 12117 times)

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
I'm making shepherd's pie today
« on: November 05, 2012, 10:14:17 AM »
I've never made it and ate it only once. DH said he likes it so that's what's for dinner. Any tips? Can I bake half of the recipe and freeze the other half uncooked? I see in some of the comments that people add a bag of mixed vegetables instead of the carrots, do I cook them first or add them frozen??

http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/24202/recipeshepherds-pie-vi

"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
Re: I'm making shepherd's pie today
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 10:21:19 AM »
You can definitely freeze half and bake it later.  Since everything is already cooked before the final baking time, all you're really doing is heating it all up and giving the potatoes a nice crust.  I would cook the frozen veggies, because 20 minutes in the oven is not enough to get them from frozen to hot.  You could microwave them, or get the steam-in-the bag variety to cut down on how many dishes you have to wash and how many things you've got going on the stove at one time.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 10:23:25 AM »
Thanks!!

Offline debbatx

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 10:24:47 AM »
That sounds delicious.
"The moral of this story, Jamers, is time goes poof, so don't let anyone mess with what time you have." - RioG

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 10:54:49 AM »
That sounds delicious.

I had it last Ramadan at my mom's Scottish friend's house. It was so good. I feel bad because I haven't been cooking dinner because I'm so exhausted, so I tried to think of something for tonite that's not TOO labor intensive. Ill probably get a bag of lettuce and some French bread to go with it.

Nadra, do you think it would be ok if I add a little cream cheese to the mashed potatoes? I see some people in the comments added sour cream, but neither of like sour cream, and I've added cream cheese to potatoes before so I know that tastes good. Just not sure about on top of the shepherd's pie.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 11:23:31 AM »
Nadra, do you think it would be ok if I add a little cream cheese to the mashed potatoes? I see some people in the comments added sour cream, but neither of like sour cream, and I've added cream cheese to potatoes before so I know that tastes good. Just not sure about on top of the shepherd's pie.

What about greek yogurt? I sometimes add that because I dont keep sour cream around.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 11:41:15 AM »
MG- the cream cheese will work fine. Basically it's a meat stew with mashed potatoes on top. It's pretty versatile. You can do the mixed veg, or just stick with the ones you like, add wine to your stew, etc. However you like your mashed potatoes will work out great. :)

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 12:07:25 PM »
Keep in mind that you're asking the girl who doesn't really ever follow recipes!  :)  But yeah, what RA said, just make your mashed potatoes however you normally make them.  I usually use sour cream because I always have it but don't always have milk.  I think for shepherd's pie I'd probably just use milk and butter, and skip the sour cream/cream cheese/mayonnaise (sounds weird, but works in a pinch) to save on calories since it's combined with other things in a casserole and not just mashed potatoes on their own.  That's just me though, and may not even be something on your radar.

Offline monster2

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 02:34:19 PM »
I would make regular mashed potatoes and put a bit of shredded cheddar on top....

Offline ecodork

• Incredibly Obsessive Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 08:12:02 PM »
Oooh, nice! I like Shepherd's pie. I haven't made it in a while. For a veggie version, I use lentils. Again, it's all about the mashed potatoes!

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 08:58:47 PM »
It was good! DH had two servings and took some to his friend (recently divorced, if I cook I usually make extra for him). I put two small mini loaf pans of it in the freezer so I'll see how it tastes after being frozen.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 09:22:51 PM »
Oooh, nice! I like Shepherd's pie. I haven't made it in a while. For a veggie version, I use lentils. Again, it's all about the mashed potatoes!

that sounds tasty!
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 09:59:01 PM »
It was good! DH had two servings and took some to his friend (recently divorced, if I cook I usually make extra for him). I put two small mini loaf pans of it in the freezer so I'll see how it tastes after being frozen.

You're such a good person, you know that?

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 07:10:45 AM »
It never occurred to me to use beef for shepherd's pie... I've only ever used mutton (shepherds are to sheep as cowboys are to cattle, right?)... You should call it cowboy's pie.  :)

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 12:35:50 PM »
You're such a good person, you know that?
:-* Thanks. He's having a rough time with his kids (high school and college) as a result of why he got divorced. He was married for 20+ years and is having to get used to even goin to buy groceries. He is a really good guy and DH's best friend. I like helping him out. And he likes my cooking, so that's a plus. Lol.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 12:49:20 PM »
It never occurred to me to use beef for shepherd's pie... I've only ever used mutton (shepherds are to sheep as cowboys are to cattle, right?)... You should call it cowboy's pie.  :)

I like the name cowboy pie. :)
DH did ask me what meat I was using when I told him I was making it. I've only ever seen it made with beef so I thought it was an odd question.

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 09:52:28 PM »
This is good, though I didn't make it vegan or fat-free. I sauteed the mushrooms in a little olive oil and used butter and milk in the mashed potatoes.

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2011/11/navas-hearty-lentil-and-mushroom-shepherds-pie.html

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2012, 02:49:38 PM »
I've only ever heard of it having beef as well. Funny. :)

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2012, 03:01:40 PM »
I thought it was cottage pie  :)  I really want to try a lentil version now
Because PANTS

Offline Alf Tupper

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2012, 11:48:46 AM »

Usually the spuds come out a bit hard after freezing but still nice.

We never have left overs of shepherds or sepherdess's pie (veggy version). It's also nice cold for breakfast.
If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced.

That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2012, 05:36:24 PM »
Usually the spuds come out a bit hard after freezing but still nice.

We never have left overs of shepherds or sepherdess's pie (veggy version). It's also nice cold for breakfast.

I dont think I could eat it cold.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »
Hm, maybe it would work better to freeze the filling separately from the mashed potatoes?  That way you could reheat the potatoes with a little bit of milk and their texture would be better than if it were pre-assembled.  That probably kind of defeats the purpose of making it ahead to pull out of the freezer on a busy night though.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2012, 07:54:27 PM »
Schwan's sells Shepherd's pie. It's the first one I ever ate. :) And it is definitely packaged with the mashed potatoes piped like frosting on top. I bet the secret is to make the potatoes lighter than usual.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2012, 09:58:46 PM »
We still have two of those tiny loaf pans in the freezer. I'll probably take one out later this week and heat it up and see how it tastes. Even though everything in it is cooked I froze it before doing the last baking of it.

Offline wombleatwimbledon

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2012, 11:27:31 PM »
I thought it was cottage pie  :)  I really want to try a lentil version now

me too

Offline Alf Tupper

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2012, 10:33:53 AM »
I've only ever heard of it having beef as well. Funny. :)

Shepherd's pie - lamb

Cottage pie - beef

The clue's in the name!!   :D
If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced.

That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2012, 10:45:46 AM »
Shepherd's pie - lamb

Cottage pie - beef

The clue's in the name!!   :D

Sure it makes sense when you put it like that. ;) I've never heard of a cottage pie here though.. Probably because people would think they had cottage cheese in them.

+-SUPPORT US