Author Topic: What foods do you avoid like the plague?  (Read 54429 times)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: What foods do you avoid like the plague?
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2014, 03:12:39 PM »
I also avoid corn oil.  To some extent I avoid canola and corn for political reasons, but I'm not consistent enough in my outrage to try an persuade anyone else...
we find GMO free certified canola oil.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2014, 03:44:40 PM »
Things I don't like:  scallops, salmon, jello, whole anchovies, walnuts, oysters (raw), duck, grapefruit, uncooked tomatoes, cilantro, bitter lettuce (I forget what it's called), smelly cheeses. 

I can eat all of those items if I had to (except the whole anchovies) but I don't seek them out.

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2014, 05:16:16 PM »
we find GMO free certified canola oil.

it's not just the GMO part... more about monoculture and a loss of diversity which is related to GMOs but not exclusive to them... but even if I could find heritage rapeseed oil, I don't like the taste...

siamesedream

« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2014, 06:07:38 PM »
Things I don't like:  scallops, salmon, jello, whole anchovies, walnuts, oysters (raw), duck, grapefruit, uncooked tomatoes, cilantro, bitter lettuce (I forget what it's called), smelly cheeses

I can eat all of those items if I had to (except the whole anchovies) but I don't seek them out.

I hate brie cheese.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2014, 06:15:13 PM »
Things I don't like:  scallops, salmon, jello, whole anchovies, walnuts, oysters (raw), duck, grapefruit, uncooked tomatoes, cilantro, bitter lettuce (I forget what it's called), smelly cheeses. 

I've never had raw oysters, but the rest of your list are staples in my home...

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2014, 07:55:09 PM »
it's not just the GMO part... more about monoculture and a loss of diversity which is related to GMOs but not exclusive to them... but even if I could find heritage rapeseed oil, I don't like the taste...
gotcha.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2014, 08:02:26 PM »

You're like the anti-me.

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2014, 06:43:33 AM »
You're like the anti-me.
The anti-us.

Also, I'm surprised that caribou has not had a raw oyster.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2014, 08:32:06 AM »
The anti-us.

Also, I'm surprised that caribou has not had a raw oyster.

she says she avoids; i don't think she has not had. At least, that is how I understood the thread. 

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2014, 08:40:46 AM »
she says she avoids; i don't think she has not had. At least, that is how I understood the thread.

She avoids by never having them ;)

Offline srsly

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2014, 11:00:08 AM »
I think the phraseology used in the title is what I'm reacting to, "avoid like the plague" is such a strongly worded phrase. I think the only food item I would avoid like the plague is raw hamburger, and fish that has been sitting in room temperature. Cause they could be a source of "the plague." Most of the replies here had been about their dislike for normal foods that probably a typical diet to about 90% of the population.

Anyway, apologies to teetime for my reaction to her dislike for rice. Sorry, I didn't mean to overly criticize your post. My reaction was to the general pickiness of American children who seem to enjoy making their parents jump through hoops by being picky, and the parents who indulge them.
It ain't a party til mags shows up. -wonderwoman

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2014, 12:13:38 PM »
Alcohol, coffee and tea for religious reasons
Liver and kidneys because I know what they do and it grosses me out
Spicy food because I'm a huge wimp about it
Cilantro tastes soapy to me but like diablita, I can tolerate it in small amounts. Like pico de gallo on a salad or something.

Offline Suesquatch

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2014, 12:33:23 PM »
I can't think of anything, really. Gizzards and insects, I guess.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2014, 12:34:09 PM »
My reaction was to the general pickiness of American children who seem to enjoy making their parents jump through hoops by being picky, and the parents who indulge them.

I don't know any children who enjoy being picky, though I do know a few who are picky.

My DH simply doesn't care for food much and wishes he didn't need it for fuel.  He didn't eat much of anything growing up (though his palate has broadened with maturity) according to my MIL.  And his upbringing was in a third world country.  I'm not saying that variety and abundance doesn't make it easier, but I wouldn't discount this as a North American or first world problem perse.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

siamesedream

« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2014, 12:35:55 PM »
Alcohol, coffee and tea for religious reasons
Liver and kidneys because I know what they do and it grosses me out
Spicy food because I'm a huge wimp about it
Cilantro tastes soapy to me but like diablita, I can tolerate it in small amounts. Like pico de gallo on a salad or something.

Yes, any food that involves innards is on the outs wit me.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2014, 01:07:50 PM »
Luckily Dd is not picky, if she was she would starve ;)

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2014, 02:53:43 PM »
I've never had raw oysters

You are not missing out on much.  The consistency is slime / snot with a fish and salt taste.
I like 'em fried though.

I listed food items I don't care for.  I would (and have) eaten all of them. 
Of the ones I listed, the only one I wouldn't eat is the anchovies, I just hate them.
I do not mind Caesar salad made with anchovy paste, so figure that out.

As for being picky, I am not at all picky with food.  I will eat whatever is served for the most part.

A is SUPER picky with what she likes/ doesn't like, which seems like it would be exhausting to me - ordering things special ways and then being disappointed when it doesn't taste like what she envisioned.  "oh, I just ordered a salad without anything on it and the dressing on the side and it doesn't taste very good." what a surprise! 
Recently she ordered a chicken sandwich and by the time she took everything off it she ended up with a broiled piece of chicken on a bun.  That was a disappointment as well.

:D

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2014, 03:16:05 PM »
Pork
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2014, 05:22:07 PM »

A is SUPER picky with what she likes/ doesn't like, which seems like it would be exhausting to me - ordering things special ways and then being disappointed when it doesn't taste like what she envisioned.  "oh, I just ordered a salad without anything on it and the dressing on the side and it doesn't taste very good." what a surprise! 
Recently she ordered a chicken sandwich and by the time she took everything off it she ended up with a broiled piece of chicken on a bun.  That was a disappointment as well.

"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline srsly

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2014, 06:08:30 PM »
You are not missing out on much.  The consistency is slime / snot with a fish and salt taste.
I like 'em fried though.

I listed food items I don't care for.  I would (and have) eaten all of them. 
Of the ones I listed, the only one I wouldn't eat is the anchovies, I just hate them.
I do not mind Caesar salad made with anchovy paste, so figure that out.

As for being picky, I am not at all picky with food.  I will eat whatever is served for the most part.

I didn't use to eat oysters 3 weeks ago. Now I'm a big fan. I love it! I don't know what changed. I think maybe the wine pairing served with it when I first tried them helped me appreciate its the slimy/salty/fishy flavor. I could eat a dozen! And have.

A must be very hard to entertain. My ex sister in-law was a vegan, and no matter what I prepared for her that I thought vegan safe was never good enough. Exhausting is about right.
It ain't a party til mags shows up. -wonderwoman

+-SUPPORT US