Author Topic: The Perpetual Preserving Thread  (Read 3597 times)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
The Perpetual Preserving Thread
« on: June 18, 2018, 06:42:33 PM »
We made strawberry freezer jam this weekend. We prefer the un-cooked berry flavor and it's just easier to make. I went to the farmer's market to seek out picked fresh today local berries and I think it made a difference. Ridiculously good!

I am also thinking we will do a pineapple chipotle tequila infusion for summer margaritas. A restaurant up the street does this and it is ridiculously good.

I don't do much canning because we really do not have the room for it. I love hearing about other's projects though-- so whatcha got in the works?

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Re: The Perpetual Preserving Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 08:30:30 PM »
I want to make a bunch of pickles this summer. Pickle all the things!!!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 05:56:08 AM »
We usually do jam and pickled vegetables and sauce. I do not understand freezer jam, never heard of it. I cook my berries and add pectin and sugar and then jar them up. If you do not cook is it unsweetened?
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 11:21:03 AM »
No, it's sweetened. Freezer jam uses fruit, pectin, & sugar. But, it doesn't go through the full canning process. So, basically you just make the jam and poor it into jars and put the lids on, let it set & then put it in the freezer. There is no "canning" step (hot water or pressure). The net result is that it is not shelf stable. It will keep in your freezer for a long time or in the fridge for about a month after opening.

I never really saw it until I started visiting Seattle and most restaurants here tend to serve it. IMO, the flavor is a really strong & bright berry flavor because the fruit isn't cooked.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 07:27:59 PM »
I really really want to learn how to pickle and can but am intimidated.

Confession:  I saw a Quincy when I was a kid where someone got botulism and almost died from a supermarket can and the thought of not properly canning and making my family ill scares the heck out of me.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 09:32:21 PM »
Interesting RA!

We have canned pickles and jams and followed all the rules. There are a lot of rules. I do not have a pressure canner though, or i would can more. I have a huge water bath pot. I usually freeze the tomato sauce.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 01:33:42 AM »
I think my very favorite food in the whole world is my mom's homemade bread with strawberry freezer jam. It's so delicious! I've also made freezer jam with frozen blackberries and it turned out really well. I like freezer jam a lot better than canned jam, it really does taste so much more like fresh fruit.

I grew up eating home canned peaches, pears, and applesauce. When I was little my mom also did green beans, which I hated but now would probably like. I've put up peaches myself, but I always forget about them and they don't get eaten. Maybe this summer I will get together with my aunt or my sister and help them put up their peaches, and just do a few pints for myself.

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 12:56:52 PM »

I am also thinking we will do a pineapple chipotle tequila infusion for summer margaritas. A restaurant up the street does this and it is ridiculously good.

Say wha???

Have you tried this yet??? 
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 07:24:58 PM »
Say wha???

Have you tried this yet??? 

Not yet!

I agree Nadra! Im hoping to do some raspberry before we miss the season.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 09:22:08 PM »
I grew up eating home canned peaches, pears, and applesauce. 

MMmmmmmmm same. So good. I can't do store bought but home canned? Yum! My mom's applesauce is THE BEST.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 12:10:19 PM »
Yes, home made apple sauce is so good and so easy and bears no resemblance to what you get in the store! It is so easy to make and keeps for a long time in the fridge (like months) that I don't bother to can it though.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 11:54:45 PM »
MMmmmmmmm same. So good. I can't do store bought but home canned? Yum! My mom's applesauce is THE BEST.

My mom's applesauce was the best because it had a shit ton of sugar in it! She doesn't make it anymore, they tore out their apple tree. We were never sure what kind of apples they were, and then instead of picking the apples we waited until they fell off the tree to sauce them. (That sounds like it would be less work than picking them, but it wasn't, the ground under the tree was covered with ivy) So buying apples never turns out the same. But oh man, best applesauce ever!

+-SUPPORT US