Author Topic: Good vegetable recipes  (Read 60057 times)

Online redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: Good vegetable recipes
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2017, 09:34:32 AM »
Thanks. I think the first one I will try is the braised white beans...sounds delicious.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2017, 09:38:44 AM »
Thanks. I think the first one I will try is the braised white beans...sounds delicious.
They are!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Half my recipes are black beans OR have peanut butter in them  :-\
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2017, 10:37:05 AM »
I am going to sign us up for CSA type thing (imperfect produce).

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2017, 10:47:38 AM »
Imperfect? Ours is organic but generally NOT imperfect. But a CSA is good for pushing you out of your veggie comfort zone!
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2017, 11:10:29 AM »

I think that's a great idea!

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2017, 12:05:19 PM »
Imperfect? Ours is organic but generally NOT imperfect. But a CSA is good for pushing you out of your veggie comfort zone!

That's the name of one. They promise produce that isn't perfect looking and may have been rejected by stores.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2017, 12:31:57 PM »
That's the name of one. They promise produce that isn't perfect looking and may have been rejected by stores.
Oh, so is it at a discount? Our CSA is a community shared agriculture share, where we pay the farm up front for the season and you share in the risk and/or reward of the season with the crops they harvest. I drive to the farm and get what they picked that day from the fields.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2017, 01:11:45 PM »
Oh, so is it at a discount? Our CSA is a community shared agriculture share, where we pay the farm up front for the season and you share in the risk and/or reward of the season with the crops they harvest. I drive to the farm and get what they picked that day from the fields.

They deliver once or twice a month and a medium box is $14-$16 and you can customize it every time if you want (since it isn't a traditional CSA). I think there is also a $4 delivery fee.

They have mixed reviews though. Some people claim they have gotten rotten produce. My coworker seems happy with it though.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2017, 01:21:47 PM »
Can't hurt to try it!

I am snacking on one of my favorite vegetables now at work-- roasted beets!!!! So naturally sweet and delicious.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2017, 01:33:18 PM »
What about kabobs on the grill? Always super yummy!

Also what about a greek style salad?

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2017, 01:35:26 PM »

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2017, 02:03:50 PM »
Oooh I have a bag of green beans in the fridge!

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2017, 04:24:43 PM »
I can't wait to work my way through these recipes.

Has anyone mentioned sweet potatoes?

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2017, 04:33:05 PM »
What about kabobs on the grill? Always super yummy!

Also what about a greek style salad?

I grill everything for 8-9 months of the year. But not in January.  :D

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2017, 01:44:49 PM »
I just thought of another one. What about sprouts? I've never done it but plan to start making some.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2017, 03:08:49 AM »
I just thought of another one. What about sprouts? I've never done it but plan to start making some.

You can sprout your own; I have done it a few times.  Great for bean sprouts and alfalfa sprouts.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #97 on: January 13, 2017, 07:38:09 AM »

fenugreek makes the best sprouts IMO

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2017, 11:52:16 AM »
With apologies to MM, someone asked about beans up-thread and I wanted to add a couple of items to that discussion.

These are my go-to beans. The original recipe had some links to soups and things you could do with the beans but the upshot is that the broth is also really tasty and makes a great addition to your cooking liquid for soups (in place of some or all of the veggie broth). You can switch up the herbs based on your preference. I really like sage but I also sometimes add rosemary, oregano, thyme, etc.

They freeze well and are a great addition to soups and also sauteed veggies and pasta. If I have room in the freezer I make a whole pound and then freeze in 1/2 cup portions.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/cannellini-beans-with-garlic-and-sage-355216

I will also say that in the trader joe's frozen section they have an item that is green chick peas, red lentils, and a few other things. That is a GREAT addition to salads soups, etc. I keep it around just to toss some beans in with stuff. Way better than anything you can get in a can.

I also like to make smokey black beans which we eat with all kinds of stuff. I usually use an onion, a few cloves of garlic, and then lots of cumin, a bay leaf, and some smoked paprika, chipotle in adobo, chipotle powder, or trader joes also sells a smokey grinder. I personally prefer that approach to liquid smoke. I'm not great about using recipes but the beans in this post look somewhat similar to what I do. We serve them over a sweet potato or along side frozen tamales, throw them in soups, whatever.

http://www.connoisseurusveg.com/brazilian-black-bean-bowls/

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #99 on: January 13, 2017, 01:24:47 PM »
This one popped up in one of my feeds (no pun intended) today: https://smittenkitchen.com/2017/01/crusty-baked-cauliflower-and-farro/.

I'm adding it to my list.

+-SUPPORT US