Forum > Food

vegan yogurt?

(1/3) > >>

Ice Cream:
I noticed some soy and some other "non-dairy" yogurts in the supermarket.  Can you make yogurt yourself without including dairy at all?  How do you get the starter bacteria in there?  I make all my own yogurt with milk, but it would be fun to experiment.

onawhim:
You can buy the grains.  I know people make coconut kefir and yogurt. 

Run Amok:
You can. Same process as milk. The only thing about most non dairy yogurts is that they don't really have any nutrition. I'd rather spend the calories on something else, but ymmv!

Ice Cream:

--- Quote from: Run Amok on March 20, 2013, 10:57:24 AM ---You can. Same process as milk. The only thing about most non dairy yogurts is that they don't really have any nutrition. I'd rather spend the calories on something else, but ymmv!

--- End quote ---

Why don't they have nutrition?  I was going to use coconut, rice, or soy milk.

Run Amok:

--- Quote from: Ice Cream on March 20, 2013, 07:44:40 PM ---Why don't they have nutrition?  I was going to use coconut, rice, or soy milk.

--- End quote ---

Well, check out the nutritionals on those... If it's within the realm of what works for you than it's great! They are mostly carbs and fat, which I eat judiciously... So, not a great choice for me, but ymmv.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version