Forum > Food

Beans from a can vs cooking from scratch

<< < (2/6) > >>

rocketgirl:
I just use canned beans.  The first time I made chili, I used dry beans, soaked them overnight, etc.  They were still way too firm.  Somebody said the beans may have been old.  Well, if I can't tell until they don't work right, I'd rather use canned beans.  I also tend to make my cooking decision day of (not being someone who cooks every day), so dry would not work in that instance.  I use the 5 minute rice too.  So sue me.

merigayle:
and that is why i freeze beans, so i have them on hand. If mine are hard, i generally just put them back in the pressure cooker for 4-5 more minutes. And I cook rice  in the pressure cooker, brown rice takes 15-18 minutes!

nadra24:
I think it depends on what you're using the beans for.  I eat a lot of beans in salads, and I prefer the firmer texture of canned beans in salad.  For use in enchiladas/burritos, soups, gallo pinto, etc. I prefer making my own from dried.  I don't do it very often though, because I am not very good about using food that's in my freezer. I forget about it and it gets freezer burned and ruined, and I'm not saving any money over canned beans if I'm throwing food away.

Run Amok:
I have no problem with canned beans, I just prefer the "fresh" ones.

I also use the frozen rice from trader joes. 3 mins in the microwave to perfect rice? Yes please. I don't care that it's more expensive.

rocketgirl:

--- Quote from: merigayle on March 14, 2013, 03:40:49 PM ---and that is why i freeze beans, so i have them on hand. If mine are hard, i generally just put them back in the pressure cooker for 4-5 more minutes. And I cook rice  in the pressure cooker, brown rice takes 15-18 minutes!

--- End quote ---

I make a lot of decisions based on what I have too.  I don't have (or want) additional kitchen appliances like rice cookers or pressure cookers.  Or even a microwave.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version