Forum > Food

It Starts With Food

<< < (12/12)

merigayle:
I dunno. I think it depends on the carbs. So many cultures eat diets heavy in grains and legumes, that is all carbs, it is not a carb like white bread is, but it is still high in carbs vs high protein diets.

nadra24:

--- Quote from: CheryG on March 22, 2013, 10:06:51 AM ---I'll be happy to pass it on!  I doubt she'll answer but if she does I think it will be along the lines of her not including that brain glucose in her definition of BMR because it's "energy".

Here's more of a quote from her:
"BMR activities need fat, protein, vitamins and minerals – carbs are only useful for the vitamins and mineralsthey provide – the carbohydrate itself can only beused for energy – not cell repair and fighting infection. Hence – if you eat 1,500 calories of carbohydrate (as the average citizen of thedeveloped world currently does) – it can’t be used for body maintenance – you need to burn it off down the gym or you will gain weight."

I would have been happier if she had said something along the lines of "needs very little carbohydrates".

--- End quote ---

I think her definition of Basal Metabolic Rate is wrong.  BMR is the energy expended by an organism (person) at rest.  It's how many calories you need to pump blood, breathe in and out, digest food, regulate your body temperature, and maintain your body. Some of that energy is used for cell repair and fighting infection, but BMR measures the calories you need to do that, not the materials (protein, etc) you need. 

CheryG:
I think it depends a little on the source of the carb, there's that whole insulin response thing and how hard the body needs to work to break it down.  And then there's that fructose/glucose difference.  And then there's the bomb calorimeter problem- it includes indigestible fiber of carbohydrates, where I think a chemical assay does not.  That's why Atkins followers use "net carbs" which is carb minus fiber.

And then there's the problem of being a carb burner instead of a fat burner.  RER testing shows, apparently, that some people do not burn fat. 

CheryG:

--- Quote from: nadra24 on March 22, 2013, 10:57:52 AM ---I think her definition of Basal Metabolic Rate is wrong.  BMR is the energy expended by an organism (person) at rest.  It's how many calories you need to pump blood, breathe in and out, digest food, regulate your body temperature, and maintain your body. Some of that energy is used for cell repair and fighting infection, but BMR measures the calories you need to do that, not the materials (protein, etc) you need. 

--- End quote ---

I think that's a misleading definition.  I've always gone with this one, or something like it: "Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is the number of calories your body burns at rest to maintain normal body functions. It is the amount of calories per day your body burns, regardless of exercise. It changes with age, weight, height, gender, diet and exercise habits. "

So, with that, you're going to have to include the calories you get from a protein source.  So it goes back to what percentage of those 1500BMR calories need to be from carbs?  There are different opinions.

"At any one time, the total amount of glucose dissolved in the bloodstream of a healthy non-diabetic is equivalent to only a teaspoon (maybe 5 grams). Much more than that is toxic; much less than that and you pass out. That's not much range for a so-called 'preferred' fuel, is it?

Several studies have shown that under normal low MET conditions (at rest or low-to mid- levels of activity such as walking and easy work) the body only needs about 5 grams of glucose an hour. And that's for people who aren't yet fat-adapted or keto-adapted. The brain is the major consumer of glucose, needing maybe 120 grams a day in people who aren't yet on a low carb eating program.

Low carb eating reduces the brain's glucose requirements considerably, and those who are very low carb (VLC) and keto-adapted may only require about 30 grams of glucose per day to fuel the brain... Twenty of those grams can come from glycerol (a byproduct of fat metabolism) and the balance from gluconeogenesis in the liver (which can actually make up to a whopping 150 grams a day if you haven't metabolically damaged it with NAFLD through fructose overdosing).

Bottom line, unless you are a physical laborer or are training (exercising) hard on a daily basis, once you become fat-adapted, you probably don't ever need to consume more than 150 grams of dietary carbs – and you can probably thrive on far less. Many Pbers [Mark's diet, Primal Blueprint] do very well (including working out) on 30-70 grams a day."

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/a-metabolic-paradigm-shift-fat-carbs-human-body-metabolism/#axzz2OHt13oaQ

IMO, BMR as only "energy" is a sloppy definition.  Her BMR definition is sloppy as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version