Author Topic: Kettlebell  (Read 7974 times)

Online Lintu

• Passed on to another Brane
Kettlebell
« on: February 04, 2013, 01:51:08 PM »
Anyone do kettlebell exercises?  Is it intuitive enough to do at home with DVDs as opposed to signing up for a paid class at the gym?  The articles I read are pretty compelling with regard to calorie burn per minute and how it's a full body exercise.
"Girl. You are fine. You do not take instructions from a nun at a T stop." - Caito

Offline Yogi

Re: Kettlebell
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 02:30:12 PM »
You can do them at home with a DVD. Just really watch the form of the instructor. The basic swing really comes from the legs... you aren't lifting the kettlebell the way you would lift a freeweight, from stillness, using your shoulders, and then dropping it back down to stillness. It's a swing that starts with bending the legs the legs. You might be able to find some good vs. bad kettlebell technique comparisons on Youtube (if I remember correctly Jillian Michaels was slammed for posting a video using terrible technique).

Kettlebells are great, though. I love them. Ten Turkish Getups and you'll feel it!!

Online Lintu

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 02:42:46 PM »
I'm a little scared it'll kick my ass :D  I have no idea what weight to start with!  Any pointers for figuring that out if I don't have them on hand to try?
"Girl. You are fine. You do not take instructions from a nun at a T stop." - Caito

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 07:34:37 PM »
I'm a little scared it'll kick my ass :D  I have no idea what weight to start with!  Any pointers for figuring that out if I don't have them on hand to try?

Go somewhere where they sell them and pick some up.  If they don't have kettle bells, you could pick up some dumbells to get a feel for your optimum weight.

Offline Yogi

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 11:29:23 AM »

Many gyms have them on hand now. But like Richard said, you could go to a fitness supply store or probably even Target and give them a shot. You want to go heavy since a lot of the technique comes from the legs. You can go heavier on the actual kettlebell.... probably 15-18lbs to start but you'll go heavier relatively quickly.

If you order a kettlebell online it will most likely come with a DVD.

Offline wherestheportojohn

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 02:23:54 PM »
I do kettle bells, both at home and in a class.

Kick ass way to work out.
On, Wisconsin

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 02:26:19 PM »
You can probably go heavier than you think; but start out light (15lbs) to learn PROPER form, as others have mentioned.

You might want to take a class once a week for 6-8 weeks to become familiar and comfortable with the various swings and such.
On, Wisconsin

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 11:41:48 AM »
I did a kettlebell class last night. It was mostly instruction so not a total killer of a workout. But, I think I'm gonna like it.

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 12:15:21 PM »
I did a kettlebell class last night. It was mostly instruction so not a total killer of a workout. But, I think I'm gonna like it.

:)
It is great that you found a class which gives instruction.

Our trainer is *still* trying to get two women to do swings and presses properly...they don't take instruction well....after months and months in class.
On, Wisconsin

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 12:29:33 PM »
This is an old thread but I don't think I'd do a kettlebell workout without instruction. The distinction between hinging and squatting seems easy enough, but it's really hard to retrain your body. It's super helpful to have someone reminding you every time to engage your lats and glutes and pointing out when you're not, even when you think you are!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 10:35:28 PM »
It's REALLY easy to hurt yourself with kettlebells, I think.  We use them a lot in CrossFit.  I'm still working on improving my form over one year in.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline MikoftheWat

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 02:01:25 PM »
Love them.  The swing comes completely from hip drive, which translates well into a lot of other activities.  It's good shit.
Neglected girls shouldn't worry, it's what god made Sailors for.

They call them Aviators in the Navy.  They say they're better than pilots.
-Tom Wolfe

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 02:03:45 PM »
Love them.  The swing comes completely from hip drive, which translates well into a lot of other activities.  It's good shit.

:groucho:

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 08:16:34 PM »
 :d
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 06:26:58 AM »
 :groucho:
On, Wisconsin

+-SUPPORT US