Forum > Food

Garlic substitute?

(1/3) > >>

Natasha:
I’m making a pot of pinto beans and need to leave out garlic to accommodate a friend’s allergy. Any suggestions?

Run Amok:
Are all alliums out? IE, no onion either?

Are you going for more of a Caribbean vibe or central American vibe?

For more of a Mexican-ish flavor I usually use some combo of epazote or oregano,  bay, cumin, and maybe a chipotle in Adobe or two or fresh peppers like serrano or jalapeno...and salt. I think you can just leave out the allium and still get good results. You could also add some bacon or a ham hock or something.

Natasha:
She can handle onion.

I'm going for refried beans, so I've got some cumin and cayenne pepper in there. Salt. I don't have any fresh peppers so that's out, but I have some pickled jalapeño that I might throw in. I also don't have bacon so am trying parmesan rinds as a sub for that.

Run Amok:
Here is the recipe I use for refried beans and it is SO good. I usually throw in a chipotle or two and use butter for the fat. Honestly, I don't think skipping the garlic would be a major problem.

After I mash the beans i add almost all of the cooking liquid back and then reduce on the stove until they are the right consistency.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/04/perfect-refried-beans.html

Natasha:
Thanks, I love Serious Eats. Next time, though. These beans are already cooked and there's not a lot of cooking liquid so I will probably just mash them in the pot.

I do think the parmesan rinds substituted well for bacon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version