Forum > Food

Baking Pumpkin?

(1/3) > >>

radial:
So, I'm just back from walking the pup around the neighborhood.  One of my neighbors has a surplus of pumpkins and put a pile of them out streetside for people to take free of charge.  Couldn't pass up that bargain, so now I have a pumpkin and I'm wondering what to do with it.  I'm not exactly sure what a "baking pumpkin" is, but I assume it's made for eating vs. carving.  What should I do with this thing? 

wombleatwimbledon:
Soup
Roasted with other veggies
Vegetarian Curry

caribougrrl:
bake it!

I had a really good roasted pumpkin dish at a restaurant in Ottawa years ago... I can't remember the whole dish, but the roasted pumpkin was done in wedges and roasted long enough to carmelize on the edges, and I think had a miso based sauce? can't recall for sure.

I sometimes bake pumpkin whole (score the skin a bit so it doesn't split), then run it through a food mill for pumpkin puree... which can then be used for ravioli filling, or soup, or pie, etc.

radial:
Thanks.  The lady who grew it says one of these pumpkins will yield enough filling for 10 pies!  I like pie, but not that much.  I think I'll bake and puree half of it for soup and pie and try some other things with the other half. 

caribougrrl:

--- Quote from: radial on October 06, 2020, 10:17:45 AM ---Thanks.  The lady who grew it says one of these pumpkins will yield enough filling for 10 pies!  I like pie, but not that much.  I think I'll bake and puree half of it for soup and pie and try some other things with the other half. 

--- End quote ---

I sometimes bake pumpkin pie filling in a pie plate without a crust... basically it's pumpkin custard, right? you can also do that in ramekins for individual crustless pumpkin pies.

pumpkin puree also does nicely as a pasta sauce  (with sage, garlic, and butter), or as a base for enchilada sauce

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version