Author Topic: snoring  (Read 8096 times)

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
snoring
« on: August 31, 2014, 04:46:59 PM »
DH says I snore. He can't sleep through it so he asks me to roll over -- which usually, but not always, stops it. So he's not getting a good night's sleep and sometimes I'm not either because he has to keep waking me up.

A few years ago I tried the Breathe-Right strips but after a few night's use my nose was raw from peeling them off every morning.

Are there any other ways to stop snoring?

Offline Suesquatch

• Administrator
Re: snoring
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 04:57:02 PM »
 I dunno. Mike says I snore. My snoring certainly doesn't bother ME.

Offline fancypants

• The Runners
    • Unanswered Flurry
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 06:13:55 PM »
Fancyman used to snore so loud that a cousin who stayed in our guest room 2 doors down once said if she were me she would divorce him. He also had sleep apnea, but then he had sleep apnea surgery (including a tonsillectomy) and lost 65 lbs. Problem solved.
I don't have time for laundry; I'm trying to have a great life.

http://herheiness.wordpress.com/

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 07:39:24 PM »
My spouse lost 100 lbs.  That stopped his snoring  :)
Because PANTS

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 10:52:23 PM »
Tenacious is in big trouble because she doesn't have that kind of weight to lose!
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 08:09:42 AM »
I dunno. Mike says I snore. My snoring certainly doesn't bother ME.

This! I sleep right through it!

I *should* lose 10 pounds but that will take a while.

I seiously going to have to consider separate bedrooms but that's not what either of us wants.

Offline wherestheportojohn

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 10:51:58 AM »
Sleep study? The results may suggest you should use a CPAP.

My mom had juicy loud freight train snoring...till the CPAP.
I hated staying in the same room with her when traveling. I rarely slept. :(

Another thought:
We elevate the head of our bed 6" for dh's GERD. This has improved (but not eliminated) his snoring.
A push, a ssshhhh, and a shove usually get him to stop. :)

I also have this white noise machine to help mask extraneous snorers and noises.
I take it on vacations.
I convinced DS to get one, since he's a shift worker and needs to block out daytime city noises. He LURVS it!
http://www.thecpapshop.com/marpac-dual-speed-sound-machine-dohm-ds?gclid=CN_FsICiwMACFcRzMgodBjUAXg

Good luck.
I hate hate hate having to listen to snoring.
On, Wisconsin

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 01:08:15 PM »
I hadn't thought about a white noise machine. I'm going to suggest that to DH.  :fingers:

Offline wherestheportojohn

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 01:10:54 PM »
I hadn't thought about a white noise machine. I'm going to suggest that to DH.  :fingers:

One of my female friends (quite an obnoxious snorer) bought that machine as a gift of love for her hubby.  :preen:
On, Wisconsin

Offline redkitty

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 09:55:42 PM »
MY DH snores. I was convinced it was bcz he was overweight and had sleep apnea (You can have this and not be overweight.)  He didn't have sleep apnea (so that is good.)  What he does have is a slight deviated septum and allergies that cause slight congestion (nothing horrible.)  His options are surgery and allergy meds.  Even the ENT said he would not recommend surgery since the deviation is only very slight.  So we decided against that.  He takes allergy meds, but I am convinced he doesnt' take them at the right time so doesn't help with the congestion as much as it could. Anyway, I guess my suggestion is this...get a sleep study and see if they can figure out why you are snoring.  It will help with possible solutions. 

The other suggestion I have is for your DH to wear ear plugs while he is sleeping. I do not do this bcz for the most part if I can fall asleep before DH does, I can sleep through the snoring.  There are times, however, when I have to hit him to wake up. Sleeping upright does NOT help his snoring (and he hates it.)  The strips did not help him, either. 

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 10:02:27 PM »
I used to wear earplugs and they helped a lot. 
Because PANTS

Offline Suesquatch

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 11:00:21 PM »
I was about to suggest ear plugs.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 08:55:22 AM »
Mack's are the best ones
Because PANTS

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 09:08:08 AM »
DH doesn't think a white noise machine would be loud enough to cover my snoring.

He's been wearing earplugs some but they've been hurting his ears. I'm off to google Mack's ear plugs.

How much does a sleep study cost?

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 01:29:23 PM »
Tenacious is in big trouble because she doesn't have that kind of weight to lose!

Ha!  I've snored since childhood.  My ex used to get me to roll over by pulling on my pillow.  I'm currently at a normal BMI, but have been underweight most of my life, so THAT's not it.  I do have sleep apnea - most likely sinus drainage is helping to stick together a narrow airway.

My current beau rarely notices my snoring.  But if I fall asleep on my back, I'll probably snore loud enough to wake myself up.  I drove out a roommate one night on my Europe trip.  (Incidentally she snored some too...)
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

+-SUPPORT US