Author Topic: STUPID IMPROVEMENTS  (Read 18516 times)

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
STUPID IMPROVEMENTS
« on: July 03, 2014, 11:29:33 AM »
Grrrrrr.

Our dishwasher isn't working. Suddenly the lights on the control panel are not lighting up. We checked the breaker, pulled it out from under the counter and all the connections look fine. We found an owner manual and it says call for help. It's less than 3 years old 2 years and 3 months old. $800. DH found the invoice.

This never happened to the old fashion dishwashers that had dials to control them.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 04:53:32 PM by tenacious1 »

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
Re: New and improved
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 11:31:41 AM »
My beautiful new gas stove has digital controls and won't work when the power is out. It's a GAS stove! It should not matter if the electricity is working! I was planning to be able to cook and eat the next time we have a snow storm.

(Ya'll add yours. I can't be the only one who is bugged by this stuff.)

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 11:35:40 AM »

I hate the "ultra" dishwashing soaps. They've taken a perfectly good product and watered it down. Who else remembers the commercial with Madge that showed a dime size dot of soap would wash a sink full of dishes? The "ultra" soaps need that much to wash one plate.

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 11:38:27 AM »
My husband's fancy new car has a built in GPS. It can not be programmed when the car is moving. Even though there is a passenger doing the programing and it is perfectly safe.

My next car will NOT have a built in GPS so I can keep using my old Garmin.

If his GPS ever breaks I'll bet it will be very pricey to fix.

siamesedream

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 05:10:10 AM »

I hate the "ultra" dishwashing soaps. They've taken a perfectly good product and watered it down. Who else remembers the commercial with Madge that showed a dime size dot of soap would wash a sink full of dishes? The "ultra" soaps need that much to wash one plate.

I DO.....I DO!!

Remember the commercial. ;)

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
Re: STUPID IMPROVEMENTS
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 09:33:01 AM »
I found a bottle of the "old fashioned" Ivory at Walmart a month ago. I looking forward to the Ultra bottle running out so I can use it.

siamesedream

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 01:48:16 AM »
I found a bottle of the "old fashioned" Ivory at Walmart a month ago. I looking forward to the Ultra bottle running out so I can use it.

[

Reminds me of being a kid in the 70s.

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 07:06:57 AM »
The dishwasher repair guy came yesterday and our dishwasher needs a new "board". That's right, the computer parts broke. He said that none of the dishwashers last any more so he's busy all the time. The repair cost $300 -- $120 for the part plus $80 each for the repairman's trips to our house.

We'll probably buy bottom of line next time since they don't last any way. Grrrrrrr.

And the sump pump isn't working right either.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 08:22:04 AM »
The dishwasher repair guy came yesterday and our dishwasher needs a new "board". That's right, the computer parts broke. He said that none of the dishwashers last any more so he's busy all the time. The repair cost $300 -- $120 for the part plus $80 each for the repairman's trips to our house.

We'll probably buy bottom of line next time since they don't last any way. Grrrrrrr.

And the sump pump isn't working right either.

Mine is 8 years old.  Never needed a new board/

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 01:34:19 PM »
So I bumped into the dishwasher this morning and the lights went on.  :argh:

It's washing a load right now and if everything goes smoothly we'll try to can the "board" on order and the second service visit. I'm suddenly very unimpressed with the repairman.  :bat:

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 01:52:27 PM »
this entire thread resonates with me.

I hated our dumb bosch front load washer.  what a waste of money.  I'm enjoying hand washing the dishes now that we're moved because the dishes actually get clean rather than half assessment clean.  I love being able to choose the size of my laundry load rather having to fool the dumb machine when I want to use more water on a small load.

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 06:57:31 AM »
I'm kinda surprised. How can I be the only one sick of new things that break or just don't work like they should?

I got a new washer and dryer last year. My Maytag washer was over 20 years old and I only replaced it to finally get one that could handle bigger loads. So good so far.  :fingers:

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 10:48:45 AM »
So I bumped into the dishwasher this morning and the lights went on.  :argh:

That sounds like our dishwasher.  Every 3 or 4 months it doesn't work, except for the button that drains the bottom of the washer.  After one or two days, it works.
We've only had it a couple of years.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 06:02:16 PM by Richard21142 »

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 11:17:02 AM »
That sounds like our dishwasher.  Every 3 or 4 months it doesn't work, except for the button that drains the bottom of the washer.  After one of two days, it works.
We've only had it a couple of years.

Mine's a Kitchen Aid. What brand is yours?

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 11:53:31 AM »
I have one!  Our fridge!  Purchased in December 2013.  The ice maker broke twice and finally had to be replaced. All under warranty thank goodness.  But the design of the ice maker is stupid - fragments of cubes get stuck and it stops working.  Every now and then, there won't be ice so I have to pull out the tray, stand on my tiptoes (it is in the top of the fridge) and wiggle the parts so it gets unstuck.

Also, we just paid $275 to have a valve of some sort replaced because of its poor design.  It drains the condensation from the freezer and had a very narrow opening - like a duck bill.  The repairman said they get clogged all the time and the condensation then spills out onto the floor of the freezer and then the floor of the kitchen.  He replaced it with a different shaped valve that is wider and shouldn't clog.

This is a huge French door whirlpool fridge with a bunch of bells and whistles.  Ridiculous.
La madre degli imbecilli รจ sempre incinta.

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 06:01:13 PM »
Mine's a Kitchen Aid. What brand is yours?

Kenmore

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 09:11:13 AM »
I have one!  Our fridge!  Purchased in December 2013.  The ice maker broke twice and finally had to be replaced. All under warranty thank goodness.  But the design of the ice maker is stupid - fragments of cubes get stuck and it stops working.  Every now and then, there won't be ice so I have to pull out the tray, stand on my tiptoes (it is in the top of the fridge) and wiggle the parts so it gets unstuck.

Also, we just paid $275 to have a valve of some sort replaced because of its poor design.  It drains the condensation from the freezer and had a very narrow opening - like a duck bill.  The repairman said they get clogged all the time and the condensation then spills out onto the floor of the freezer and then the floor of the kitchen.  He replaced it with a different shaped valve that is wider and shouldn't clog.

This is a huge French door whirlpool fridge with a bunch of bells and whistles.  Ridiculous.

The icemaker on the fridge here at work is broken...again.

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 09:12:41 AM »
Kenmore

Well, that doesn't support my theory that it's a Kitchen Aid problem.

(Though my Kitchen Aid mixer works fine. Maybe it's because it doesn't have any computerized parts.)

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 09:42:34 AM »

(Though my Kitchen Aid mixer works fine. Maybe it's because it doesn't have any computerized parts.)

My Krups coffee maker with just an "on/off" switch is almost 30 years old, but the coffee maker we had with computer parts, lasted only two years; even though it wasn't used often.

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 12:47:06 PM »
The official word on the icemaker:

The icemaker has been officially declared as deceased.  A new one will be ordered and replaced on Thursday.

FWIW -- I don't think the icemaker was computerized.

+-SUPPORT US