Author Topic: WINNER UPDATE.Need your cookie recipes  (Read 24030 times)

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: Need your cookie recipes
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2014, 03:17:57 PM »
I think I'd want a rule that says you must be willing to share the recipe for any cookie you contribute. Because it's annoying to taste a great cookie then be told that it's a "secret family recipe" or some such nonsense.

I don't think we will make this a rule, but for the most part people in this office aren't that protective of their recipes.  We had one lady who made crack brownies (thus named because they were like crack...you got your first taste and you always went back for more and they gave a sugar high and then a crash.)  For a while she would not share her recipe.  She has since given up on that and sent it around the office.  Of the people I have spoken wtih about this contest, no one has mentioned "family" recipes, but I think most are going to go online and find stuff. 

Offline redkitty

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2014, 09:40:03 AM »
M.mmm. I love snickerdoodle cookies and those look amazing.  I will print these recipes out tomorrow and pick my first two and go buy ingredients. I realized this morning that I am almost completely out of sugar.  No idea how that happened (I rarely bake.) 

Offline redkitty

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2014, 07:07:59 PM »
Ok, some questions for those who bake. I do not know the chemistry behind cooking.  So for the first recipe that Meri posted (please see link.)  Why would you use an egg and a yolk and not just two whole eggs?  Does this affect how long it takes cookies to bake bcz these cookies took almost 15 minutes, which surprised me.  I have not actually eaten any of them yet...the dough was quite tasty.  That being said, I think if these stay in the running, I will use fewer chips bcz there are ALOT of chips. I swear there were a few cookies that were almost all chips and little dough.  I also modified the recipe and used dried cranberries instead of the jam. I am lazy and didn't want to deal with the jam. 

Offline redkitty

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2014, 07:28:02 PM »
I tried the cookies. They are ok. Not great. Not sucky.  But not impressive.  I think they are drier than I like. Too many chips. I did look up the chemistry of baking cookies so I can change the texture to be more pleasing if I go with these. My Dh apparently likes them bcz he just finished one cookie and went back and took two more.

Offline redkitty

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2014, 07:15:04 PM »
Just tried the snickerdoodle recipe. OMG...SOOOO good. The dough was so much better than yesterday's.  Unless I find a much better one, this one is definitely one of the two I will make. I will make 3 if I find three easy recipes. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2014, 07:25:37 PM »
I made vegan and GF snicker doodles for my cookie party, they were awesome.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2014, 10:24:07 PM »
Yum!  Glad they worked out well for you!

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2014, 04:12:00 PM »
1 c butter
1/2 c brown sugar, packed
1 c granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 t vanilla extract
1 t almond extract
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1 t salt
3 c a/p flour
dark chocolate chunks
dried cherries

oven at 350°.

sift dry ingredients together.
in another bowl, cream butter with sugars.  add eggs and extracts.  stir in the flour mix.  add the chocolate and cherries. 

drop by tablespoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets.  bake for approx. 15 minutes.

This sounds wonderful!  A Cherry Garcia cookie.  :heartbeat:

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2014, 06:35:13 PM »

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2014, 12:31:12 AM »
I'm actually not sure I've ever had a cookie that bested the Joy of Cooking's good old chocolate chip cookies. I do tend to make them a bit larger than the recipe calls for.

Offline redkitty

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2014, 11:02:26 AM »
I will check that out of the library or can i find that one recipe online?  I do not have that cookbook.

i am not going to lie. I have made 4 types of cookies over two weekends and I am already sick of baking cookies. This is why i do not bake, I do not enjoy it.  I made the man catcher cookies listed above.  they are pretty good and I do not normally like chocolate chips in oatmeal cookies and the cinnamon roll cookies (meri's 4th link.)  They were ok. I think they could be a bit better...partially due to cook's error and partially due to the recipe. I think i would prefer a chewier cookie and different frosting.  They really weren't hard to make once I figured out what i was doing.  I may try those again just bcz they look cool.  But I will buy Cinnabon frosting for them.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2014, 09:21:07 AM »
I believe I will try these soon: Chocolate Forgotten Cookies  http://www.athoughtforfood.net/chocolate-forgotten-cookies/

Offline wherestheportojohn

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2014, 04:24:39 PM »
 :yikes: :e)
Why did I open this thread thread of deliciousness?
:panic:

On, Wisconsin

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2014, 05:27:05 PM »
When getting a recipe off the internet, I also read ALL the comments before making the recipe. But like you, I always test a recipe before something like a cookie party, etc. I had not made those cookies, so i apologize if they were not the best, but they look awesome. I did not want to bore you with a gluten free vegan thing that would call for ingredients you would not have.

As far as The Joy Of Cooking, you should own a copy!
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline redkitty

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2014, 09:23:29 PM »
Meri---the cookies weren't bad (the first ones), they just weren't great.  The cinnamon roll cookies were a very big hit. Not really my ball of wax, but there isa  reason that I am testing these recipes out with other people. I tend to like things that others don't and vice versa.  My Dh's co-workers are really getting into it. THey liked the man catcher cookies I made...went at the same time as the cinnamon ones...and they liked those, but think the novelty and presentation of the cinnamon ones will do better in a contest. THey are engineers so they really analyze things.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2014, 06:33:14 AM »
Yeah they are different and I like different!

Offline redkitty

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2014, 08:48:30 AM »
I am reading this book right now and it has a recipe for blackberry cookies. I think i will try those. not because I will like blackberry cookies, but because my daughter might.  It is a mystery book,  btw (not a cook book.)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2014, 11:29:44 AM »
blackberries are very full of seeds, but otherwise sound good. Like a thumbprint one? you could use blackberry jam. I know DD wants to make cookies today, probably just choc chip.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2014, 02:29:27 PM »
I believe I will try these soon: Chocolate Forgotten Cookies  http://www.athoughtforfood.net/chocolate-forgotten-cookies/

my mother makes these; they were one of my favorites when i was teeny.

+-SUPPORT US