Author Topic: Creating gluten free baked goods.  (Read 19720 times)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: Creating gluten free baked goods.
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2014, 07:28:34 PM »
We buy GF and DF chocolate chips from the Enjoy Life brand.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2014, 01:53:11 AM »
We buy GF and DF chocolate chips from the Enjoy Life brand.

I definitely know I wouldn't find that here. I'd order online if I had time but I need to get something to my friend soon. Maybe I'll bring some of those back for them this summer.
I'll have to ask her how strict her dh is with dairy.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2014, 08:41:58 AM »
What about adding a different kind of chip? Like PB or butter scotch? Again, no idea if they have dairy or gluten, but you could check the ingredients. 

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2014, 02:32:57 PM »
What about adding a different kind of chip? Like PB or butter scotch? Again, no idea if they have dairy or gluten, but you could check the ingredients. 

That's a good idea, but I haven't seen them here. I'll have to look at the store that has mostly imported stuff.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2014, 02:59:51 PM »
If you can find dark chocolate chips, they are probably dair free, even if they are not vegan. Or, just make them without the chocolate chips. Seriously, they will still be tasty! You could maybe do something like craisins instead if you wanted. They taste a lot like banana bread.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2014, 02:35:08 AM »
If you can find dark chocolate chips, they are probably dair free, even if they are not vegan. Or, just make them without the chocolate chips. Seriously, they will still be tasty! You could maybe do something like craisins instead if you wanted. They taste a lot like banana bread.

I bought some dark chocolate. The ingredients say *may contain dairy* but I figured that's a disclaimer they have to put on there since they're probably made in a facility with dairy. I don't think he will die if something *may* contain dairy, but I'm going to ask my friend to be sure of how sensitive he is. If it's bad then I'll just leave out the chocolate.

Offline HobbyJogger

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2014, 05:44:39 PM »
No one has mentioned using teff flour in this thread yet?

I don't think I would ever try using it at more than 50% of flour but it has a super yummy flavor and texture. It also seems to have a property that it expands in your stomach about 20 min after you eat it. This is good unless you forget and gorge yourself full before the 20 minutes are up.  :D

It is also a great flavor combination with chocolate.

Downsides: only available as a whole grain flour, also a little hard to find except on teh internets.
Radical Jogger

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2014, 03:08:08 AM »
I can't make the cookies until my green bananas ripen! Isn't there some trick to make them ripen faster?

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2014, 06:48:29 AM »
I can't make the cookies until my green bananas ripen! Isn't there some trick to make them ripen faster?

put them in a paper bag and fold the top down... this traps the ethylene they give off so they ripen faster than when it dissapates

Offline redkitty

« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2014, 09:02:31 AM »
Apples also give off ethylene so if you have one, put that in the bag with the bananas as well (the apple in the bag trick with other fruit works quite well...I have never used it bananas, though.) 

Offline Clementine

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2014, 11:01:40 AM »
Also... next time you have some ripe bananas, throw them in the freezer so you'll have them available for baking later. Just defrost and add to your recipe. They'll be smooshy but that's fine.

DF and I aren't fans of overripe bananas so I do this all the time to prevent waste.

+-SUPPORT US