Author Topic: Chicken bread  (Read 10531 times)

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
Chicken bread
« on: January 14, 2014, 09:51:40 AM »

I made it today! I have worked with dough maybe twice in my life. It intimidates me. But this was much easier than I thought it would be. I need to work on my braid and size. One side is bigger than the other. It was cooked through and tasted pretty good, but I still think the filling needs *something*.

http://www.fauziaskitchenfun.com/chicken-bread
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
Re: Chicken bread
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 12:22:25 PM »
It looks yummy and pretty, mg!  I don't know what to tell you about the flavor of the filling, as I suspect my taste buds prefer food that you would consider bland.  My mom does crescent rolls filled with a chicken/cream cheese mixture which I love (and kenyan would hate, so I haven't made them in a very long time), but it doesn't have any seasoning other than salt and pepper and maybe some garlic.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 12:29:06 PM »
It looks amazing to me
Because PANTS

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 01:51:07 PM »
Thanks y'all!

Nadra (ha! My phone autocorrected that to Andrea. Creepy), we use tons of herbs and spices in Moroccan cooking and it is far from bland. I have a few Pakistani friends I met here that I am so hesitant to cook for because as many spices as we use, they probably use triple that. So my food would be bland to them! I just stick to bringing the desserts when we get together. Lol.

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 01:53:42 PM »
looks good!  looks like excellent picnic food...

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 02:00:34 PM »
looks good!  looks like excellent picnic food...

I was thinking if I could make them mini sized, they would be a great picnic food.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 02:05:48 PM »
I think she just way under seasoned it. 1 tsp of salt for all of that?  :nono: I would probably go with more like 1tbs of garam masala and salt to taste (probably more like 1 tbsp). But, it seems like a weird combo of spices. I think adding some ginger & garlic could go well?

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 02:10:06 PM »
I think she just way under seasoned it. 1 tsp of salt for all of that?  :nono: I would probably go with more like 1tbs of garam masala and salt to taste (probably more like 1 tbsp). But, it seems like a weird combo of spices. I think adding some ginger & garlic could go well?

I know. I don't usually like to mess with a recipe the first time I make it, so I'll definitely be making some changes. And no it wasn't enough salt. I'm going to try pizza filling next time I think.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 03:00:48 PM »
Well, in that case, yes- you could fill it with just about anything.  Lots of different cultures have savory handpie recipes (pasties, patties, potpies, greek savory pies, indian stuffed breads and kati rolls) that would easily work here!

I make a dish (I think it's from the moosewood cookbook) that is broccoli and, cheddar, onions, bread crumbs, and the juice of a lemon (plus salt & pepper) that would be great in a bread thing like that (I usually make it with phyllo). 

Offline ihop

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 04:13:24 PM »
Beautiful!
La madre degli imbecilli รจ sempre incinta.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 04:58:42 PM »
Thanks y'all!

Nadra (ha! My phone autocorrected that to Andrea. Creepy), we use tons of herbs and spices in Moroccan cooking and it is far from bland. I have a few Pakistani friends I met here that I am so hesitant to cook for because as many spices as we use, they probably use triple that. So my food would be bland to them! I just stick to bringing the desserts when we get together. Lol.

That's what I figured. :)  (and your phone has discovered my secret identity!  :panic: )

Also, I think pizza filling would be yummy.  Maybe I'll try that, the only way kenyan eats dairy products is cheese on pizza.  He hates any creamy filling I could come up with, but the pizza would probably go over well.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 05:00:32 PM by nadra24 »

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 05:14:37 PM »
That's what I figured. :)  (and your phone has discovered my secret identity!  :panic: )

Also, I think pizza filling would be yummy.  Maybe I'll try that, the only way kenyan eats dairy products is cheese on pizza.  He hates any creamy filling I could come up with, but the pizza would probably go over well.

You'll never fool me!  :skep:

Offline gebuh

• The Runners
  • don't worry, I'm a doctor
    • cycle touring
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 10:25:03 PM »
maybe garlic?  And something hot.  I would cook the chicken with seasonings and roast it or cook in the pressure cooker.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 04:07:53 AM »
maybe garlic?  And something hot.  I would cook the chicken with seasonings and roast it or cook in the pressure cooker.

Ooohh. Buffalo chicken.

Offline redkitty

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 10:30:43 AM »
Thanks y'all!

I always tell people it is how you grow up.  I ate a lot of polish and hungarian food (and just plain ol' american food like mac and cheese) and I swear the only seasonings used are onions and maybe some salt (and paprika for hungarian food but my relatives were always light on the paprika.)  So I cannot eat spicy food at all and anything that has a ton of seasoning is just too much for me.  Granted I like more than just salt and pepper, but things get overpowered quickly for me. 

I was visiting with my roommate's family once. They are indian.  They made some indian dish and told me they specifically made it not spicy for me and for my roommate whose taste buds weren;'t getting as much heat in America (we were in London.)  Holy moly their idea of NOT spicy was so fricking hot I couldn't taste anything for the rest of the night.

Offline gebuh

• The Runners
    • cycle touring
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 12:12:49 PM »
I always tell people it is how you grow up.  I ate a lot of polish and hungarian food (and just plain ol' american food like mac and cheese) and I swear the only seasonings used are onions and maybe some salt (and paprika for hungarian food but my relatives were always light on the paprika.)  So I cannot eat spicy food at all and anything that has a ton of seasoning is just too much for me.  Granted I like more than just salt and pepper, but things get overpowered quickly for me. 

I was visiting with my roommate's family once. They are indian.  They made some indian dish and told me they specifically made it not spicy for me and for my roommate whose taste buds weren;'t getting as much heat in America (we were in London.)  Holy moly their idea of NOT spicy was so fricking hot I couldn't taste anything for the rest of the night.
I wonder how much is genetic vs how you're raised.  I wasn't raised on particularly spicy food (relatively - I'm given to understand some of y'all think ketchup is spicy) but I like my food spiced to within an inch of its life (a friend of mine likes to tell the story of my chicken pot pie - it is not for the faint of heart) and it can't be too hot - I have someone who grows scorpion peppers for me.  But my husband can't eat what I cook without breaking into a sweat.  Both my kids like hot, spicy food, but my youngest sister can't stand it.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 12:49:47 PM »
I wonder how much is genetic vs how you're raised.  I wasn't raised on particularly spicy food (relatively - I'm given to understand some of y'all think ketchup is spicy) but I like my food spiced to within an inch of its life (a friend of mine likes to tell the story of my chicken pot pie - it is not for the faint of heart) and it can't be too hot - I have someone who grows scorpion peppers for me.  But my husband can't eat what I cook without breaking into a sweat.  Both my kids like hot, spicy food, but my youngest sister can't stand it.

I recently made adam drink vinegar for lying. All I had was red wine vinegar. He screamed and said it was spicy.

Offline redkitty

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 02:07:48 PM »

I think it has to be a combo of both because I know people who grew up wtih bland tastes and who now prefer very spicy dishes.  I also have very sensitive taste buds. as in I can often pinpoint ingredients that others don't even know are in a dish.  I also have a super sense of smell so I suspect the two are related.  Don't misunderstand, I cannot recreate recipes just by tasting them.  Perhaps if I was a chef, I might actually be able to do that.  and again, it is not just hot spice that is too much for me. too much of any spice (with the possible exception of cinnamon because I have yet to reach my limit on that one) is too much. Too much oregano, too much basil, etc. 

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 08:24:52 PM »
That looks delicious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gebuh

• The Runners
    • cycle touring
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2014, 09:42:29 PM »
I know. I don't usually like to mess with a recipe the first time I make it, so I'll definitely be making some changes. And no it wasn't enough salt. I'm going to try pizza filling next time I think.
I wish I could do this, I can't NOT mess with a recipe.  So sometimes I make dishes that are pure awesomeness, that I can't duplicate cuz I don't remember what I did to it.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2014, 09:43:19 PM »
I wish I could do this, I can't NOT mess with a recipe.  So sometimes I make dishes that are pure awesomeness, that I can't duplicate cuz I don't remember what I did to it.

I am the same way.  It is a compulsion.
Because PANTS

+-SUPPORT US