Author Topic: Baking snafus  (Read 4493 times)

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
Baking snafus
« on: December 14, 2013, 08:58:56 AM »
Ever try to bake something that you've made a 100 times but due to being rushed or distracted its one disaster after another? I tried to make cookies last night for a party and the dough came out super crumbly. I thought it was because I might have over measured the flour but I think it's because I used the whisk on my mixer vs paddle. Tossed it. So I decided to make this apple cake that I make which is awesome but I didn't have any pecans and figured no big loss. But it came out kind of flat and no clue how it will taste. This is why I don't like making cakes to bring somewhere. With cookies I know already if I messed them up. So this am I did the cookies again. My cookie gun was having issues and I decided to roll out the cookies but they're meh. And I have to leave in an hour to go to a race and then a party immediately after which I was doing this all for in the first place. I'm out of time, in my pjs and my dad is supposed to becoming over soon. My kitchen is a disaster. I bombed on the cake a few weeks ago too. Forgot the sugar. I just give up.

Offline Tim

• The Runners
Re: Baking snafus
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 10:27:26 AM »
:hug:

It's never happened to me but, I've never baked anything.

I've been baked and that was a disaster.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 10:35:14 AM »
i bombed on a recipe a couple hours before the party a few years ago and had a massive epic fail. So now I always do it earlier, and for example, i have a cookie exchange tomorrow, i did test runs of the recipes before hand, because i do not want to have an issue.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 11:24:39 AM »
My mom is generally a good baker/cook, but she is notorious for sometimes forgetting a critical ingredient.  She made my brother's favorite cake for his birthday one year and forgot to add the sugar.

He said it was like biting into a hard, yeasty biscuit.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 05:38:16 PM »
When I worked as a pastry chef this less than stellar woman worked with me and used baking soda instead of sugar in a recipe.  :e)
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 06:01:32 PM »
Well the cake wound up being pretty good and the word 'moist' was used. It was good but knowing the pecans were missing was a bummer. I usually plan ahead I just have to stop texting and checking Facebook and focus on what I am doing. A few weeks ago I went to an annual cookie party and 3 weeks ahead I tested a new recipe and it bombed. I knew what I did wrong and tried it again 2 more times and they came out awesome. I'm good if I can relax and take my time.
With the storm coming through tonight I'm tempted to do more baking but I think I used up all of my butter.

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 01:24:31 PM »
My mom is generally a good baker/cook, but she is notorious for sometimes forgetting a critical ingredient.  She made my brother's favorite cake for his birthday one year and forgot to add the sugar.

He said it was like biting into a hard, yeasty biscuit.

Ha!  This is my dad!  He is an excellent baker but he has forgotten a key ingredient more than once.

My college roommate came home with me for Thanksgiving.  She clearly remembers my dad making a pecan pie and realizing at the last minute that he forgot to add the pecans!  She still gives him a hard time about it!
La madre degli imbecilli รจ sempre incinta.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 02:10:55 PM »
It happens to everyone  :D
Because PANTS

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 02:37:58 PM »
Ha!  This is my dad!  He is an excellent baker but he has forgotten a key ingredient more than once.

My college roommate came home with me for Thanksgiving.  She clearly remembers my dad making a pecan pie and realizing at the last minute that he forgot to add the pecans!  She still gives him a hard time about it!

My grandma used to make apple squares. Had been making them 60+ years when one day, she forgot to add the apples.  Had them all cut up and ready to go. Just forgot them.  She has nto lived that one down and it has been 20 years or so since she did it.  I am sure if she has a funeral. we will bring this story up.  It is funny.  She remembered the raisins, though. 

I had to make chocolate chip cookies for a co-worker the other day for his bday.  i did not have any baking soda.  how does one not have baking soda? fortunately google told me that I could use baking powder and fortunately I did nto listen to google about the amount of substitution.  google told me to use 3xs the amount. i thought that seemed a lot. So I used 2xs the amount. Those cookies really rose. If I had put in 3xs the amount, those cookies would have been super tall.  Btw, they were also super freaking good and I liked the texture better than when I use the baking soda. 

+-SUPPORT US