Author Topic: I have seen the light - Vitamix update  (Read 11432 times)

Offline cindyleigh

• The Runners
Re: I have seen the light - Vitamix update
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2013, 09:13:23 PM »
Whoa--Oprah goes head-to-head with diet doctor du jour Lustig!  Who'll win that battle?  :roll:   I feel like there's a whole lot of quasi-science in the world of nutrition.  I give his overall premise some cred just based on his standing as an endocrinologist, so I hope he has an up-to-date understanding of the metabolism of food, but some of his proclamations are a bit...strident.

Basically, the way I see it is, as long as I'm not mixing up my breakfast smoothies with Jack Daniels or ice cream, they're composed of natural foods! And the Vitamix makes it all so darn palatable!

So, what else have you made in yours??

Well, its not Oprah.  Its a MD who wrote an opinion article for Oprah's site.  Basically his short piece says that he has "heard" of the whole Vitamix pulverizing fiber but he hasn't been able to find any research to support it.  So he can't say its true....but it didn't make sense to him for the same reasons I gave (i.e. mastication and gastric juices will do the same).

I totally hear you about the quasi-science.  I do tend to be quite skep about anything that isn't referenced in PubMed ...and even then if its not in a high impact journal, I'm dubious.  And even some high impact journals publish crap.  That's just my training and experience as a scientist.  Also, I've met a lot of MD/PhDs with odd theories over the years that just don't hold water.  How they keep their academic appointment I have no idea (Lustig, by the way, is currently on leave from UCSF).

In my Vitamix, I am learning what works for me and what doesn't. 

For example, anything that contains carrots and blueberries will taste great ...but it looks like baby poo and I just can't get past that. 

Mostly I stick a variation of the following:

1 scoop whey protein
2 scoops ground flax seed
1-2 frozen fruits (banana, some berries or frozen apricots)
2 cups greens (either kale or spinach)
1 cup water
2 carrots (if I'm using banana or apricots)

This weekend though ...its a holiday...I'll be making something tasty and alcoholic!

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2013, 03:25:30 PM »

Basically, the way I see it is, as long as I'm not mixing up my breakfast smoothies with Jack Daniels or ice cream, they're composed of natural foods! And the Vitamix makes it all so darn palatable!

:roll:

What about JD and ice cream? 

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2013, 03:43:16 PM »
I'm going to need that recipe.
I sent dd2 some cashews, she pounded them by hand to make a sauce.
Can the vitamix replace a food processor?

I brought my vitamix with me. I needed to crush some tomatoes but I didn't have my food processor yet. I used the vitamix and it was just fine. I put in a few at a time.  I think I could probably use only the vitamix. The only thing I could think of is some people make dough in their food processor. Not sure that would work with the vitamix, just because of the shape.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

ZiggyStardust

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2013, 04:28:17 PM »
What about JD and ice cream?

I call that "Tuesday morning."   :roll:

+-SUPPORT US