Author Topic: I think I just discovered stewed apples  (Read 9621 times)

Offline RioG

• The Runners
I think I just discovered stewed apples
« on: April 16, 2013, 02:02:10 PM »
Is that what you would call apples simmered in cinnamon and water before you mash them into applesauce?

Delicious!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
Re: I think I just discovered stewed apples
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 02:13:44 PM »
I call it appelsauce. I don't mash mine. I just cook them until they fall apart. I agree- delicious! Especially over some greek yogurt. An excellent snack!

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 02:15:17 PM »
I love cooked apples! 
La madre degli imbecilli รจ sempre incinta.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 02:17:57 PM »
oh my god I'm in heaven.

And it's 0 points on WW!  So is fat free Greek Yogurt!  Woot!  I'm getting me some more, right..... now.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 02:41:39 PM »
If you are interested- I have similar recipes for plumbs, rhubarb, and prunes...all of which are super yummy and great with yogurt, as an oatmeal topper, etc.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
Re: Re: I think I just discovered stewed apples
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 02:42:49 PM »
If you are interested- I have similar recipes for plumbs, rhubarb, and prunes...all of which are super yummy and great with yogurt, as an oatmeal topper, etc.
hell yes I'm interested!  I'm going to rake off my rhubarb right now!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 03:11:23 PM »
These are from that book I told you about in your other thread.

I find they (and home made apple sauce) are GREAT over yogurt or oatmeal (or your choice of hot cereal). Plenty sweet for a dessert for me. I usually make a batch of something every couple of weeks and then freeze in 2 cup portions and eat off of it for a week or so. This is one way I keep healthy snacks bountiful and then it's an easy choice for me to know I have something tasty and satisfying that I can whip up quickly.

Rhubarb yogurt- 4 servings of 90cal

1lb rhubarb stalks
4tsp sugar
1/4 cup equivilant of sugar substitute - optional (I just use a little more sugar and skip the sugar substitute)
2 cups of 2% plain greek yogurt

cut rhubarb into 1" lengths . Place in a pot with a tight fitting lid and add 1/3 cup water. Bring to a simmer over low heat. Cook until soft but not broken up- then remove it from the heat and stir in sugar. Let the rhubarb sauce cool to room temp then refridgerate until thoroughly chilled. To serve place 1/2 cup of yogurt in a bowl and add 1/2 cup cold rhubarb sauce to each.

Plum compote- makes 8 - 1/2 cup servings of 58 calories each
2lbs hard black plumbs (about 7 large plums)
1tbs sugar
2-3 tbs equivilant of sugar substitue - optional (again, I skip this and just increase the sugar a tiny bit if needed)

Rinse the plums, then quarter them and remove the pits. Place plums and 3/4 cup of awter in a pot over low heat and summer (covered) until they are cooked but still firm and bathed in a rich red sauce (about 30 minutes). Stir in sugar. Serve or freeze.

Spicy Prunes- makes 11 servings of 4 prunes each- 79 calories
Grated zest of 1 orange
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp of ground cloves
2 tbs honey
sugar substitute equivalent to 1/4 cup sugar- optional (I always just leave it out and have never missed it)
1- 10oz package of prunes

Heat 2 cups of water to near boiling and add the orange zest, cinnamon, cloves, and honey
Place the prunes in a heat-proof dish and pour the spiced liquid over them. Let cool completely, cover the bowl welland le tthe prunes steep in the refridgerator until they are soft, 1-2 days. Serve cold or at room temp.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 06:12:03 PM »
oh my god I'm in heaven.

And it's 0 points on WW!  So is fat free Greek Yogurt!   

Really????

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 08:18:17 PM »
I like to bake mine, sliced with cinnamon on top
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 08:53:52 AM »
Really????

Really.  I was stunned too.  I don't know how they devise their points system.  When you put all the 0 ingredients together in a smoothie the smoothie is worth like 7 points. :D  So I guess the trick is to eat all the 0 stuff individually.

I raked off my rhubarb yesterday... can't wait to stew some of those bad boys up!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 10:26:48 AM »
Oh, I was going to say that you have to be careful with portions- but you figured that out. It might be 0pts for 1 serving...but more than that does have points. Like the 0pts soups is only 0pts if you eat one serving of it. Or it used to be.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 11:14:25 AM »
I also like stir fried apples and baked apples.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 08:34:25 PM »
Oh, I was going to say that you have to be careful with portions- but you figured that out. It might be 0pts for 1 serving...but more than that does have points. Like the 0pts soups is only 0pts if you eat one serving of it. Or it used to be.

yeah, but I don't really get that... so I could eat 1 serving of apple sauce every hour and it would be 0 points... but if I eat 3 servings at once, it's points.  That part doesn't make sense to me.

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 10:52:51 PM »
Way are good apples to use for stewing/baking?  I always forget :-/

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 11:48:05 PM »
yeah, but I don't really get that... so I could eat 1 serving of apple sauce every hour and it would be 0 points... but if I eat 3 servings at once, it's points.  That part doesn't make sense to me.

I don't really know... but I think it probably has to do with portion size. Because, the reality is you can get fat eating only "healthy whole foods" and one of the things your supposed to be learning is to eat reasonable portions. I think. But, I could be wrong. This is one of those places where WW and the diet I follow are different. The diet I follow doesn't allow unlimited portions of fruits and veggies. In fact, she instructs you to select small oranges and apples because otherwise you're potentially eating more calories than you mean to/need.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 07:28:47 AM »
I think it is about teaching you long-term habits: in general, eating three servings is not going to be useful in maintaining weight.

It is also useful since it makes you wonder about the logic behind their reasoning, and it's a good topic to reflect on.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 07:30:49 AM »

Like any system or plan, there are ways to "game" it and cheat the intent, IMO.
This space for rent.

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 11:46:33 AM »
 :sigh:

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 12:19:27 PM »
I will just Google :)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2013, 12:21:22 PM »
Oh, I see your question... I haven't really found an apple that doesn't work to make applesauce with. I try and use cheap apples. Fuji's are cheap here and tend to work well.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 06:31:59 PM »
Oh, I see your question... I haven't really found an apple that doesn't work to make applesauce with. I try and use cheap apples. Fuji's are cheap here and tend to work well.

Same here.  I buy the ones that are on reduced price for quick sale or something like that.  They may have a bruise, and they are usually a mixture of different kinds.  If I go on Saturdays to the supermarket, they look like they are absolutely perfect.  I don't know why they sell them at 68 cents/pound, when the other "regular" apples are 1.99/pound.

Offline fancypants

• The Runners
    • Unanswered Flurry
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2013, 09:44:43 PM »
I was thinking about this thread today when I wanted something sweet.  I sliced up an apple, sprinkled it with cinnamon and put it in the grill pan. Delicious.
I don't have time for laundry; I'm trying to have a great life.

http://herheiness.wordpress.com/

+-SUPPORT US