Author Topic: Liver  (Read 19863 times)

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
Re: Liver
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 02:34:06 PM »
My father used to fry liver and onions.  Nobody else in the family would eat them and the kitchen would stink for days.

My dad soaked the calf liver in milk, and then I have no idea how it got cooked.  In the frying pan, I think.  Eventually he started adding sauteed onions on top, which helped some.  Typically I put about 1/4 inch of salt on it, plus ketchup and mashed potatoes.  I hated it.  They thought it was healthy for us.

I've also had chicken livers and wasn't impressed.  And accidentally had pate at a buffet.  I thought it was something chocolate, and let me tell you THAT was a rude awakening!

If I never eat liver again, I'm fine with that.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline crazypants

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 03:07:33 PM »
One can have tried something and still not like it.
Yes- but everyone's previous reaction was "I don't eat liver. It skeeves me out!"

pate is the only way you can get me to eat liver

and before you roll your eyes or spout on about how adventurous you are, I have tried to like liver.
It sounds like you're a little confused about things.
I am adventurous. I get that others are not. I accept that about them. There is no eye rolling or spouting on. I'm sorry you felt like my post was an attack. I think it's good that you give things a try. I am the exact same way- and when I eat something I don't like- just like you I don't eat it again.

Once again- I'm sorry for confusing you.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 04:30:04 PM »
Yes- but everyone's previous reaction was "I don't eat liver. It skeeves me out!"
I am adventurous. I get that others are not. I accept that about them. There is no eye rolling or spouting on. I'm sorry you felt like my post was an attack. I think it's good that you give things a try. I am the exact same way- and when I eat something I don't like- just like you I don't eat it again.

Well you are eating the organ that collects toxins from the body. Which is a pretty valid reason not to eat it.

Offline crazypants

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 04:38:02 PM »
Well you are eating the organ that collects toxins from the body. Which is a pretty valid reason not to eat it.
You don't have to eat it. No one is forcing you. I'm sorry if it sounded like I was trying to convince you to eat something you're not comfortable with. You obviously have strict rules for what you eat, and I respect that, and I'm sorry for confusing you.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 04:39:35 PM by Horrible Peanut »

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 05:32:59 PM »

:D 

I was using my dry Canadian wit, I thought you'd recognize it.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2013, 05:46:43 PM »
That's ironic, given your user name.

For more irony in your diet, liver can't be beat. 

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2013, 05:47:25 PM »
You don't have to eat it. No one is forcing you. I'm sorry if it sounded like I was trying to convince you to eat something you're not comfortable with. You obviously have strict rules for what you eat, and I respect that, and I'm sorry for confusing you.

No...I just don't eat nasty tasting organs full of toxins.  :P

Offline crazypants

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2013, 05:47:57 PM »

I was using my dry Canadian wit, I thought you'd recognize it.
Canadians wouldn't know dry wit if it shat in their Tim Horton's while they clucked their tongues at how much better they are than Americans.

:D Ok- that's not dry wit either, I realize.

Offline crazypants

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2013, 07:03:51 PM »
So, I just made this.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Sauteed-Calfs-Liver-with-Red-Wine-Vinegar-103439

The sauce was totally unbelievable. It was sweet and meaty. I opted for zuccini, yellow peppers, onions and parsnips for the veggies and arborio rice cooked in vegetable broth for the bed. I paired it with a Sauvignon blanc. It was glorious.

If you're going to do it yourself- one note- the liver cooks faster than 3 minutes each side. I did 90 seconds on side A and 120 on side B and it could have used 30 more seconds on side A, frankly, but it 3 minutes would make it dry as toast.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2013, 07:40:15 PM »
Sounds delicious!  Gonna try it for lunch sometime. 

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2013, 08:07:01 PM »
HP, I think you've got the key to tasty liver right there.  Liver needs to be a lightly cooked to be edible, and when it's cooked properly, it's a real treat.  As for the notion that liver is somehow riddled with injurious toxins, somebody should report that "fact" to the people at the FDA who hover over every bite we eat so they can ban it from the marketplace.  Until that happens, I'm not going to worry about it too much.  :D

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2013, 08:47:48 PM »
For more irony in your diet, liver can't be beat. 

When I was a kid (and ate meat) I enjoyed eating chicken livers.  My grandmother would bake/roast them alongside the chicken and pull them out when they were done.  We'd eat them while waiting for dinner.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline crazypants

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2013, 08:57:08 PM »
Radials post made me think of my mother's cooking. Everything came out grey, tasteless and mushy.

I cook with tons of veggies and have had compliments on how they're hot and cooked but still crisp and taste super fresh.

Meat has taken some time to get better at, because of my moms lfmf, when I mess up the meat, I tend to undercook. I've gotten better, but I've had an embarrassing dinner date where we had to toss chicken in the microwave to finish it off because the pan was soaking in the sink.

Ugh :D

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2013, 09:03:20 AM »
I am adventurous.

Yes, you've told us that multiple times. 

Offline crazypants

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2013, 10:00:06 AM »
Yes, you've told us that multiple times. 
Sorry for confusing you.

Offline OldBaldHippie

• Onward through the fog...
Liver
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2013, 10:11:49 AM »
I love liver and onions and fried potatoes and greens...I get it a couple times a year when we go to Luby's so I don't stink up the kitchen cooking it myself...
searching for that lost shaker of salt...

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2013, 10:20:33 AM »
Who cares? It's not an every day food. It's a once in while enjoy something wonderful food. Like Ice cream.

Ice cream? Once in awhile food? That's crazy talk! Go check your temperature, man!!
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline crazypants

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2013, 10:23:51 AM »
Ice cream? Once in awhile food? That's crazy talk! Go check your temperature, man!!
:sidesplit: I was waiting for you to post this.
 :heartbeat:

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2013, 10:27:06 AM »
:sidesplit: I was waiting for you to post this.
 :heartbeat:

Have you seen those zoku Popsicle makers? They make Popsicles in like 7 minutes with your own ingredients. I bought one to take to Saudi. At least we'll have some form of ice cream until I can figure out how fast I need to drive home from the store so my ice cream doesn't melt.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline crazypants

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2013, 10:28:07 AM »
Have you seen those zoku Popsicle makers? They make Popsicles in like 7 minutes with your own ingredients. I bought one to take to Saudi. At least we'll have some form of ice cream until I can figure out how fast I need to drive home from the store so my ice cream doesn't melt.
Wait- you're moving to Saudi?
 :o

+-SUPPORT US